Google Analytics or AWStats on dedicated server - Which numbers to trust?

Dear all,

I run a single website on a dedicated server and I am a bit confused - I have included the Google Analytics Code on every page of the site and have AWStats generating statistics parallel. Now, here is the strange thing: Both report quite different results and I am not sure which of the provided numbers are the ones to trust.

Target Website is an Image Gallery. Here are the reports from yesterday as an example:

Visits (not unique Visitors):
    4,135 (Google Analytics) / 5,866 (AWStats)

Pageviews:
    213,543 (Google Analytics) / 648,408 (AWStats)

Average Duration of a Visit:
    8 mins, 41 sec. (Google Analytics) / 11 mins, 34 sec. (AWStats)

Well, who's "right" now?
    Thank you very much for your opinion in advance!

Cheers,
    -A
    Last edited by Amitz; 03-04-2012 at 11:38 AM.

Hi,

AWStats analyzes your Apache access log and counts every single line in it. It doesn't analyze visitors as such (search bots, spam bots etc.). Google analytics (try to) show you number of real visitors. So I would suggest that Analytics results are more accurate as you interested in real visitors.

Hi,

Both use different tracking methods which cause different reports.
    AWstats uses web server log analysis and hence it would show hits from search engine spiders and bots. Even if it tries to filter them, its not always correct.

Google Analytics uses javascript code in the pages which sends a request to their server and generate reports.

Also the purpose of each program is also slightly different.
    AWstats is meant for system admins and is more technical.
    Google Analytics is for Marketers and business analyts.

Thank you both! I also did some research and came to the same conclusion. I will stick with AWStats as I am more interested in the technical than in the marketing aspects.

Google Analytics only counts visitors but awstats would count some bots.
    My personal blog with a Triple-T ccTLD domain!

http://t.tt/

Quote Originally Posted by sharedservermgmt View Post
    Google Analytics uses javascript code in the pages which sends a request to their server and generate reports.
    Also, because of this, some browser plugins block it.

Quote Originally Posted by sam250 View Post
    Correct. In fact, most people that run adblockers have google's analytics code blocked, or don't wait for the page to finish loading (which is why you never put analytics code at the bottom of the page, always on the top).

The truth is that Google Analytics statistics are worthless, for these two reasons. Awstats are pretty reliable, but don't update as instantly.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Also check any filters you may have set on one or the other, that will obviously affect the final numbers as well.
    Sajan Parikh - PHP Development | Server Management | Linux Administration | Web Consulting
    Feel free to get in touch with me if I can be of assistance with anything.
    e: sajan@parikh.io | w: sajan.io
    Give me a call at (262) 343-5973.

I would trust awstats more. I'm pretty sure they break out the bot visits seperately. And as pointed out above, many people have ad blockers (I do) which can mess with google analytics.

I would personally trust awstats over Google Analytics because people can block javascript while being on your site.

Quote Originally Posted by sam250 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by qwizie View Post
    I would personally trust awstats over Google Analytics because people can block javascript while being on your site.
    I mean, this is all true...but not nearly enough to cause the gap in the OP's numbers.
    Sajan Parikh - PHP Development | Server Management | Linux Administration | Web Consulting
    Feel free to get in touch with me if I can be of assistance with anything.
    e: sajan@parikh.io | w: sajan.io
    Give me a call at (262) 343-5973.

Quote Originally Posted by TomHooser View Post
    Hi,

AWStats analyzes your Apache access log and counts every single line in it. It doesn't analyze visitors as such (search bots, spam bots etc.). Google analytics (try to) show you number of real visitors. So I would suggest that Analytics results are more accurate as you interested in real visitors.
    I'm of the belief that GA is more likely to weed out the bots, when I used to use Awstats I was forever adding more bots.

If the gallery is resizing/showing images via PHP/ASP file instead of direct JPG/PNG/GIF then you will probably see imageviews as "Pageviews" instead of "Hits". This is probably the reason for the discrepancy.
    Last edited by Hoopla-Brad; 03-06-2012 at 12:33 AM.
    █ | Hoopla Hosting -
    █ | WordPress Web Hosting New Zealand - Reseller Hosting - cPanel - Zurmo Hosting - Softaculous - CloudFlare

There's a lot of "what does your website" do that plays into the question. Do you have a lot of ajax calls? Then analytics will only count once. Your awstats will count every single ajax calls.
    awstats measures what happened.
    analytics measures what pages humans surfed.

I wouldn't use one over the other. But analytics is free... bears no processing for your system... Kinda no-loss there. (Except privacy)
    I have no sig to spam.

Why would you ever give your site traffic logging over to a third party company?

That's a horrible business strategy. Long term it certainly can and will have ramifications.

There are plenty of open source options available as well as paid services. Run your logs for analysis on your own server and keep your info private.

As far as accuracy, Google can't count right to save it's life. Like someone else said, Javascript blocking means Google isn't counting it. Google Analytics has to one of the top blocked advertising/spy/malware elements out there. So their numbers are never going to be accurate.

Google will somehow have all the data he wants, that you use analytics or not (google search, Adsense, gmail, chrome)...

Theres a few self hosted alternatives to google analytics, such as 'mint'.

Google ought not have data in Analytics mismashed from search, adsense, gmail, chrome, etc.

If they were to do that or be proven to be doing that, I am certain it would finally bring state and federal lawsuits over privacy implications from governments.

So, while Google might bastardize data for itself like that internally, it isn't going to show folks that right now at least.

Google isn't tracking me, I won't use Chrome (like Opera way better), block Analytics, block javascript, block plugins, block AdSense, block Google and other ad/spy networks at DNS level...

Plenty of other folks are doing the same and the concept is going mainstream.

I would definitely trust analytics over awstats

Google Analytics also provides real-time visitor monitoring as well and if you need to link your advertising campaign then analytic is best choice.

You can trust this average
    (Google Analytics + AWStats) / 2

Quote Originally Posted by pubcrawler View Post
    Google ought not have data in Analytics mismashed from search, adsense, gmail, chrome, etc.

If they were to do that or be proven to be doing that, I am certain it would finally bring state and federal lawsuits over privacy implications from governments.

So, while Google might bastardize data for itself like that internally, it isn't going to show folks that right now at least.

Google isn't tracking me, I won't use Chrome (like Opera way better), block Analytics, block javascript, block plugins, block AdSense, block Google and other ad/spy networks at DNS level...

Plenty of other folks are doing the same and the concept is going mainstream.
    That's what their new privacy policy basically says - they can use the data from their dns servers (8.8.8.8 anyone?) to improve search results, etc...

Analytics also tells you which pages are generating adsense revenue

Quote Originally Posted by pubcrawler View Post
    Google Analytics has to one of the top blocked advertising/spy/malware elements out there.
    Do you have a source for this information?