Need guideness regarding Dedicated Server

Hello everyone.

Alright, first off I just want to tell you that I run a very very small game server hosting group and we've expanded and wants to buy a dedicated server.

I really want to buy the server, not rent it. Buy it.

So, what I really need help with is, where can I find one?
    I've thought of putting one together myself but I really don't know what things I need to think of while doing it. Like which processor works to which motherboard etc.

I've heard that the pre-made ones are the crappiest ones and that you should put the server together by yourself, each part at a time.
    The game servers I run is somewhat not multithreadning, so I need as high clock rate as possible. Anything over 3.6 GHz would be perfect. Money is not a problem because I don't plan on buying it right away.

Also, if anyone knows a site where I can customize the server myself that would be very helpful!

The company have to be shipping to Sweden.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Svenskunganka; 03-04-2012 at 01:08 AM.

Companies like RME specialize in building systems tailored to needs just like yours. We've ordered a few from RME in the past, they are still running to this day nearly 2+ years later.

http://www.rackmountsetc.com/

There are others and I'm sure others will chime in with their recommendations.

Best of luck

Hello MikeTrike.

Thank you for the quick answer. I'll check them out right away.

Thought of another:
    http://www.amadisystems.com/

There are still more, I just can't think of them right now.

Alright I'll check them out too. Thanks.

I really don't need a processor with much cores, only high clock rate. Dual core would be more then enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Svenskunganka View Post
    I've heard that the pre-made ones are the crappiest ones and that you should put the server together by yourself, each part at a time.
    I'm not sure who told you that but i would not agree. We have utalised Dell Poweredge, HP Proliant and Supermicro servers for years without issue.

If anything building yourself could hazzard more problems if wrong parts are chosen, incorrect cooling etc.

Rob, I see. I've always heard from others that putting your computer together yourself is alot better then buying a pre-made one.

In the case of building a PC Mabie, but a server i'm not convinced. Check out Rackservers.co.uk - Not really a self build site but more you can customise everything to your requirements.

Alright I found an old PC that I can use, although, it needs upgrades. I was looking around the web for a new processor, and found this one: AMD FX-6200 6-Core Processor
    Socket- AM3+, 3.8Ghz, 125W, 6MB L2 + 8MB L3 Cache, 32nm

Although, the current one my old PC has is Intel Pentium 2.8 GHz. Is it even possible to just upgrade to that one?

First of all where are you planning to host the server from? Home or a datacenter?

If datacenter the costs of colocating a PC Case usually is much higher than a proper 1/2U Server case.

Second, no you cannot just buy a AMD and stick it into a P4 Mobo. You are going to need New Motherboard, New RAM, New Cooler, more than likely new PSU, New HDD's?. (Basicly a whole new machine).

Rob, I have a friend who's at 100 Mbit uplink where I currently host from. Works like a charm so far.

I see now that it is a Dual Core. This one should be working the servers quite fine...

Purchasing hardware in USA and shipping to Sweden will be expensive. Why don't you find out local store to build one?

I don't think there's a local one here in Sweden regarding Servers to be honest.

They might not be in your area, but surely Supermicro has resellers in Sweden. Have you checked them out yet? http://www.supermicro.nl/wheretobuy/europe.cfm?rgn=128

DELL might be a good option. good prices/hardware and support.
    Amanah Tech Inc.
    151 Front Street, Toronto, Canada
    Affordable Colocation & 100TB Dedicated Servers.
    Email: sales@amanah.com | +1 416 603 9825 X1 | http://www.amanah.com

Yeah I checked them out before.