Help Setting Up a Hosting Company

First I would like to thank this forum for being around. Necessity made me get this forum and I know I will get some help.

I started a webhosting company in my country last year as an addition to our SEO services. Now I think it's time to totally rethink our strategy.

We started with reseller hosting at hostgator and quickly moved on to a VPS. However, it seems we may have outgrown the VPS. So they suggested we get a dedicated server. That is a huge step for us with our 60 clients. So you can imagine we have to be very careful with what we do next.

This is what we wish to do.

1. Have a hosting account that will allow us to have resellers. This is a new market and the upside is amazing. But we don't have enough resources to market so we think the reseller route would work better.

2. If we do reseller hosting, we of course need to work with a company that will allow us to grow the client base without too much hassle. So we wish to grow from one dedi to a number very fast.

I'm new in this so I just don't understand how it works. We wish to keep our nameservers the same with the all the servers we run. Is that even possible.

3. If the nameserver issue is not possible which billing system would work best. All our clients will come to one site but at the rate we are growing I'd not be surprised if we get 3 or 4 dedicated servers by year's end. We really do not wish to have them all on one server. Neither do we wish them to go from one whcms to another.

4. Moving from managed VPS to dedicated is a tough decision. We definately need managed hosting as we don't have the talent in this country to deal with that. What or who would you recommend for either a server manager service or managed dedicated.

5. Is going to dedicated the right route? We wish to be able to sell small hosting accounts, reseller accounts, affiliate accounts, VPS and even dedicated servers by year end. Which company would allow for such growth. There is no hope of ever setting up such servers here so we would rely on data centers from other countries.

I know newbie questions on forums can be annoying. But we are in a spot here and any answer should point us to the right direction which is what we need. So I thank you in advance.

By the way,thanks for having such a great community.

Surely it would be more cost effective to get a second VPS? of course you are expecting more custom over the coming year but putting all you eggs into one basket (by paying out for big servers) may come to bite you in the rear end if that custom does not come.

Interesting. If I could get a second vps, what are the implications on using the same whcms for the clients and what about the nameservers. Or can I can name the nameservers anything I wish?

First, congratz to your success at providing web hosting. Many webhost fail and close shop before even reaching 50 clients.

1. Have a hosting account that will allow us to have resellers. This is a new market and the upside is amazing. But we don't have enough resources to market so we think the reseller route would work better.
    Any VPS or dedicated server plan will have this option, you can even buy addon software that lets you have master reseller accounts, though it is not recommended unless you can handle lots of sub resellers.

2. If we do reseller hosting, we of course need to work with a company that will allow us to grow the client base without too much hassle. So we wish to grow from one dedi to a number very fast.
    You will do reseller hosting, point blank. No reason not to. I'm not sure what you mean by having a company help you grow, you'll need to find ways to promote yourself, making deals with people you know locally works wonders.

I'm new in this so I just don't understand how it works. We wish to keep our nameservers the same with the all the servers we run. Is that even possible.
    Yes 100% possible and easy.

3. If the nameserver issue is not possible which billing system would work best. All our clients will come to one site but at the rate we are growing I'd not be surprised if we get 3 or 4 dedicated servers by year's end. We really do not wish to have them all on one server. Neither do we wish them to go from one whcms to another.
    I'm not sure what you mean... you always have name servers. I would recommend WHMCS, they also provide you with a FREE domain and SSL reseller account, that way you can also provide domain names.

4. Moving from managed VPS to dedicated is a tough decision. We definately need managed hosting as we don't have the talent in this country to deal with that. What or who would you recommend for either a server manager service or managed dedicated.
    You should check out the offers section, I plan on going with WiredTree myself, fully managed and they take care of the server, monitoring it, running updates, ect.

5. Is going to dedicated the right route? We wish to be able to sell small hosting accounts, reseller accounts, affiliate accounts, VPS and even dedicated servers by year end. Which company would allow for such growth. There is no hope of ever setting up such servers here so we would rely on data centers from other countries.
    Absolutely.

Feel free to contact me if you need any advice.
    The web hosting market will never die. Virtual environments are forever the future and easily adapt to change. Welcome to the world wide web!

Quote Originally Posted by makii71 View Post
    Interesting. If I could get a second vps, what are the implications on using the same whcms for the clients and what about the nameservers. Or can I can name the nameservers anything I wish?
    No implications at all. The name servers can be anything you wish.
    The web hosting market will never die. Virtual environments are forever the future and easily adapt to change. Welcome to the world wide web!

Hello

If your looking to offer reseller hosting, you might want to consider using a white label domain for that, as some people don't like there clients to find out who is hosting them.
    miniVPS - UK/EU Value and Premium VPS Servers!
    miniVPN - UK/EU Personal VPN Service.
    - Coming Soon!
    Xavvo.com Innovative Hosting for Innovative People!

However, it seems we may have outgrown the VPS
    Which means you need a bigger VPS or a Dedicated - "scrimping" at this point will destroy the service you've built up...

1. Have a hosting account that will allow us to have resellers.
    Control Panel dependant, you can do this on your new dedi/vps

2. If we do reseller hosting, we of course need to work with a company that will allow us to grow the client base without too much hassle
    You can always add another VPS/Server as needs change

We wish to keep our nameservers the same with the all the servers we run. Is that even possible.
    Possible - yes, lots of different ways to do it - for our clients we setup an account on our nameserver cluster, and configure their servers to update the zones as needed

Why would you think they need to go from one WHMCS to another ?
    One billing system will control multiple servers/systems

4. Moving from managed VPS to dedicated is a tough decision.
    Not really, if what you want to do isnt possible with the VPS, it's a very simple choice between going dedi/extra-vps or not growing anymore!

What or who would you recommend for either a server manager service or managed dedicated.
    Managed servers every time

5. Is going to dedicated the right route? We wish to be able to sell small hosting accounts, reseller accounts, affiliate accounts
    Yes

VPS and even dedicated servers
    You'll want other servers for those.

Which company would allow for such growth.
    I know of at least 1 in the UK offers exactly what you're asking for
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

You don't necessarily need to go from managed VPS to dedicated. You can have multiple VPS or even multiple reseller accounts if you don't want the server management part and keep a smaller amount of clients per server. Even with a dedicated server, you can get an outsourced company to manage it for you for less than $50 per month, you don't necessarily need to have the server manager in your company or even country.

For keeping the same nameservers you can setup a DNS cluster which can easily be done through cPanel. This is doable if you are using VPS or dedicated servers, but not if you are using reseller accounts.
    HostGamma.com | HostGamma Europe | HostGamma Asia
    USA, Canada, Brazil, UK, Netherlands, HK, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Singapore and more
    Operated by Cycom Hong Kong Limited

In order to keep the nameservers the same, you might consider cloud hosting instead so you can have access to the cloud's resources through one set of nameservers. You could get a VPS cloud (I don't know the proper term for that) so it will knock down the cost of having a dedicated cloud since others can use that cloud too, but it will allow you to still have your own nameservers.

You can also have resellers on that since its a VPS style plan. Also, as a cloud is easily expanded, then you shouldn't have trouble growing your business within the cloud since a cloud is a group of computers working together. I'm not sure if you could offer VPS yourself through that, though, but you could look into owning that full cloud and then you could treat it like a VPS most likely. I never tried that before, though.

As for hosting companies to go with for it,I'm not sure on that aspect.

Hey, I forgot that the company I go through for my reseller plan offers VPS packages at nice prices and you can set up reseller plans with it as well. http://www.ramdox.com/clients/vps-hosting.php

I am looking for a thank you button for all that replied in this thread. I have to say that you've really opened up my eyes to the opportunities and the options out there.

Thanks to you, we've decided to go with a dedicated server. Now the next problem is with who. I consider the company rep more important than the resources especially since we'll be dealing with other clients.

Please do not be shocked if I PM you for more information. But sometimes I think all of us newbies learn best on the forum. Thanks a great deal guys.

What is Email hosting?

Can somebody give me idea about email hosting? Give me some tips please.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Andriyadsouza View Post
    Can somebody give me idea about email hosting? Give me some tips please.
    I would think that anyone who doesn't block how many times you can send a message through SMTP or limit the number of mailboxes you can have would be a good host to start email hosting on. You could start off with RoundCube installed and modify that to make it look and act how you want it to work.

This is where i would say, Employee somone to run you're company. So then can take it to the next level resulting in profit for you.

Anyone brave enough to help us set this up?

Id be happy to help you out if you feel i would be suitable.

i can't pm are you on skype or how to get in touch. Anyone else interested can also get in touch. Don't know how yet but im on skype. We'll pick one to work with.

Ha i was just thinking the same thing, im not sure if i can post skype details but i also cannot pm you. il take a risk, sorry if im breaking any rules in advance! contact me directly - ben[@]shoutcastuk .co.uk

19. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!