Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Anyone using Samsung 830 SSD

Has anyone tried using one of these Samsung 830 SSD's in a server?

Looking for feedback to see if they will end up stable like an Intel 320 (stable) or if this will be more like a Vertex 3 (unstable)

Thanks
    REDUNDANT.COM • Equinix Data Centers • Performance Optimized Network
    Managed & Unmanaged
    • Servers • Colocation • Cloud • VEEAM
    sales@redundant.com

We just got a set in and just started internal testing. We'll hopefully have some results to post in the next several days.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

I've sold about 2 dozen of them so far. No complaints!
    █ Brian Wing | RackmountsEtc™
    www.rackmountsetc.com - sales@rackmountsetc.com - 619-258-0573
    █ Custom built rackmount server systems from Atom to Sandybridge
    █ Custom Server Solutions to suit your needs™

Any reason why you'd like to try samsung but not any other brand ?

We've been using Mushkin SSDs in heavy duty servers (4 - 8 of them in raid-10 setup, 24/7 running as database server) and they perform ridiculously better than Intel SSDs !

We are using them for around 2 years now in -multiple- servers/setups, none failed (knock on the wood).

- Aria

Quote Originally Posted by ASN - Aria View Post
    Any reason why you'd like to try samsung but not any other brand ?

We've been using Mushkin SSDs in heavy duty servers (4 - 8 of them in raid-10 setup, 24/7 running as database server) and they perform ridiculously better than Intel SSDs !

We are using them for around 2 years now in -multiple- servers/setups, none failed (knock on the wood).

- Aria
    Never said I'd only look at Samsung. Just had a customer asking if we would use them for a VPS server. They liked the 6Gbps transfer. So just curious if anyone had used them.

Which Mushkin SSD are you using?
    REDUNDANT.COM • Equinix Data Centers • Performance Optimized Network
    Managed & Unmanaged
    • Servers • Colocation • Cloud • VEEAM
    sales@redundant.com

My bad, thought you are strictly asking for Samsung.

We started using them since they released the Io series (very first ones) and never had any issue with any of them (Io ones had 2 failure on heavy duty, RMA was fast enough).

Then started using Callisto Deluxe on 4x raid-10 setup servers, heavy duty web and mysql servers.

And using Chronos Deluxe now with Adaptec 6405 and 6405E to enable 6Gb/s in a raid-10 setup, customer flies along the server, just waved hand.

None failed yet, on single or raid setup, had absolutely no issues and are very happy with them.

- Aria

they perform ridiculously better than Intel SSDs !
    Got anything to back this up?
    UK Based Proactive Server Management.
    Zabbix Enterprise 24/7 Monitoring.

Quote Originally Posted by cd/home View Post
    Got anything to back this up?
    Instant face change of customer from crying to :- D after changing from intel 320 to mushkin callisto deluxe would do.

The mysql server that had 4x 120GB Intel 320 on adaptec 2405 raid-10 setup couldn't handle the load without IO Wait and after changing to mushkin callisto deluxe at that time, we never had any report about IO Wait again.

What sort of proof are you referring to by the way ?

- Aria

What sort of proof are you referring to by the way ?
    Stats, Graphs, etc

The sort of thing which can show us this rings true

Quote Originally Posted by TalentHouse Hosting View Post
    Never said I'd only look at Samsung. Just had a customer asking if we would use them for a VPS server. They liked the 6Gbps transfer. So just curious if anyone had used them.

Which Mushkin SSD are you using?
    Intel 520 Series is out already with 6Gb/s transfer..
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Bandwidth Billing | Inventory & Asset Management | Server Control
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management

Intel 520 and Mushkin use Sandforce controllers, so I simply don't trust those. Sandforce is a small company with a poor history of QA. They push for performance, not reliability and compatibility.

Intel, Samsung, and Fusion-io are the only brands I trust in SSDs.

Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    So in your eyes the Intel 320s are a safe investment for one to make?

Intel 520 and Mushkin use Sandforce controllers, so I simply don't trust those. Sandforce is a small company with a poor history of QA. They push for performance, not reliability and compatibility.

I agree and I think most web hosts and clients in the know, would too.

Original poster's question goes to stability and reliability of the SSD not it's performance, which usually would rule out Sandforce based SSDs.

I just got myself some Samsung 830 SSDs to try out but in local test environment so not production server. I think the only concern I have with is how Samsung 830's doesn't do active garbage collection compared to Intel 320s if you read review at http://www.anandtech.com/show/4863/t...ssd-830-review and specific page regarding Samsung 830 GC http://www.anandtech.com/show/4863/t...d-830-review/6

Not sure how that pans out on Linux. Something folks here with better knowledge of Linux and SSDs can test out I suppose.
    : CentminMod.com Nginx Installer Nginx 1.25, PHP-FPM, MariaDB 10 CentOS (AlmaLinux/Rocky testing)
    : Centmin Mod Latest Beta Nginx HTTP/2 HTTPS & HTTP/3 QUIC HTTPS supports TLS 1.3 via OpenSSL 1.1.1/3.0/3.1 or BoringSSL or QuicTLS OpenSSL
    : Nginx & PHP-FPM Benchmarks: Centmin Mod vs EasyEngine vs Webinoly vs VestaCP vs OneInStack

In our basic testing, very basic at this point, the 64GB Samsung 830 is basically the same speed as a 300GB Intel 320 in basically all cases, except in sequential reads, where it is twice as fast, likely from SATA3. Now, this may not seem like much, but a SSD 5 times the side should trounce a much smaller drive, the fact they're basically even at that spec, and a Samsung 830 256GB will be twice as fast, their is a significant speed advantage to the Samsung 830.

The thing we're going to be testing next is how the garbage collection difference works in a real world scenario. That testing will take longer, but we'll see.

looking forward to see the test results
    samsung 830 looks petty nice~

I am curious if you guys had any results yet you would like to share :-)

I've had a 128GB Samsung 830 in my Thinkpad for about a month now and it definitely performs pretty well...

Interested in seeing how they do in a server environment

I'm fairly sure I have that line of SSDs on my ReliableSite nodes and they have been great for the past few months.
    RamNode - High Performance Cloud VPS
    SSD Cloud and Shared Hosting
    NYC - LA - ATL - SEA - NL - DDoS Protection - AS3842
    Deploy on our SSD cloud today! - www.ramnode.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nick A View Post
    I'm fairly sure I have that line of SSDs on my ReliableSite nodes and they have been great for the past few months.
    Yes we have been using Samsung SSDs (470 and 830) for a while, not a single failure or issue yet.
    ReliableSite.Net LLC - Offering Enterprise Grade Dedicated Servers Since 2006 [New York City metro / Miami, FL / Los Angeles, CA]
    Customers are our #1 priority - Read Our Reviews
    Need epic pricing on 1G and 10G unmetered? We have amazing deals and a 10 minute setup time! Click here to view incredible deals.

Oh, we have some results, I don't have the specifics here, but the Samsung 830 is SIGNIFICANTLY faster than the Intel 320's. We had a 64GB Samsung 830 keeping up with the Intel 320 300GB, except much faster in sequential reads, where it took advantage of SATA3, but then going to a 256GB Samsung most tests were easily twice the speed as the 300GB Intel 320. Through our testing, they've been quite reliable, and we really didn't see much performance degradation in real-use type scenarios, all that was easily restored with a trim as well then.

Oh, we have some results, I don't have the specifics here, but the Samsung 830 is SIGNIFICANTLY faster than the Intel 320's. We had a 64GB Samsung 830 keeping up with the Intel 320 300GB, except much faster in sequential reads, where it took advantage of SATA3, but then going to a 256GB Samsung most tests were easily twice the speed as the 300GB Intel 320. Through our testing, they've been quite reliable, and we really didn't see much performance degradation in real-use type scenarios, all that was easily restored with a trim as well then.
    thanks for updating us.. i've noticed several web hosts have started offering samsung 830s as well

I assume over provisioning the samsung 830 yields similar benefits as with intel 320 ssd series ?
    : CentminMod.com Nginx Installer Nginx 1.25, PHP-FPM, MariaDB 10 CentOS (AlmaLinux/Rocky testing)
    : Centmin Mod Latest Beta Nginx HTTP/2 HTTPS & HTTP/3 QUIC HTTPS supports TLS 1.3 via OpenSSL 1.1.1/3.0/3.1 or BoringSSL or QuicTLS OpenSSL
    : Nginx & PHP-FPM Benchmarks: Centmin Mod vs EasyEngine vs Webinoly vs VestaCP vs OneInStack

Quote Originally Posted by eva2000 View Post
    I assume over provisioning the samsung 830 yields similar benefits as with intel 320 ssd series ?
    Yep, this is something that'll help the longevity of almost all SSDs.

I'm using some 830 SSD's in a few MySQL DB servers. I must say, i'm very happy with the results! The throughput for these SSD's are great, and they much much! faster than the Intel 320 SSD's.

Crucial M4 are also very nice SSD's.
    LiteServer.nl // Where quality meets you
    Providing: KVM and OpenVZ NVMe/SSD/SSD-Cached VPSes | Dedicated Servers | Managed Services
    We operate AS60404
    Located in the center of The Netherlands

how many yeas could we expect samsung 830 to run fine until it becomes read-only? let's say we use 830 on a forum that always have 20,000 people online?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterPP View Post
    how many yeas could we expect samsung 830 to run fine until it becomes read-only? let's say we use 830 on a forum that always have 20,000 people online?
    From that data, no idea... All that matters is the number of writes, and if all those users are just reading, not writing anything new, it would last nearly forever.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast