Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hetzner + Additional IP's = Ridiculous

I've been with Hetzner for a few weeks now and just wanted to share my initial impressions.

First, it took 3 days to get the server setup which isn't a huge deal but they told me a few hours which definitely was not the case.

Second, their support is decently prompt with the average response time being about 3 hours. This is only during the week. On weekends they take significantly longer.

Finally, getting additional IP's out of them is like pulling teeth. I simply requested 1 additional IP for game servers and wrote them a very detailed note explaining the usage and reason why I needed the additional IP and that it completely falls within RIPE guidelines. They then told me I don't need additional IP's for game servers. After another inquiry they said to show them proof that the game required additional IPs. I then pointed them to an article stating you need to run each server on the default port in order to use a domain to connect. Even after providing proof they still denied me again and told me to have the developer of the game send them an official document explaining why I need the IP (absolutely ridiculous). If anyone has an idea of what to tell these people in order to get more IP's please let me know. This is a deal breaker for me and if I cannot get more IP's I will be cancelling shortly.

As far as their network, everything seems fine and uptime has not been an issue. I will be cancelling my service shortly though if they will not provide me with additional IPs.

Yes, unfortunately you will have to start getting used to this, with more and more hosts in the future.

Maybe it is a thing with European hosts as I have never had this much trouble getting IPs in the US.

It's the global IP depletion thing, how much spare IPs they have and how scared they are.

Time will come when they will have to make the choise whether to sell one server with two IPs or sell two servers with one IP each.

In my opinion, this is because ipv4 has already exhausted long ago. And each extra IPs requires justification before it will be allocated.

As what rds100 said is true. More and more host are going to do this in the future.

Unfortunately that's the way it is right now.
    While some hosts can still throw away their IPv4 space, this is going to be history soon.

We all have to get used to this and I know it's difficult.
    • Dedicated Servers in Europe and Asia: http://www.server.lu
    SINGAPORE and LUXMBOURG Servers with IPMI
    • Peering @ AMS-IX, DE-CIX, LINX, FRANCE-IX, EQUINIX SINGAPORE-PARIS-ASHBURN-CHICAGO-DALLAS-PALO ALTO-LOS ANGELES and LU-CIX •

I know IPv4s are scarce but I've never had this much trouble getting just 1 additional IP when the justification is sound.

Wow, that is a joke. I was thinking about going with them for gameserver hosting too. Although if you cannot get ONE additional IP, then forget that.

Every single provider I have been with has handed out IP's like candy, with no explanation required, only $1.00 was needed.

Just put in "VPS" and you should be fine

I'm going to attempt your suggestion softshop but I can't get into the robot right now as they are performing maintenance

I never had problems getting IPs from them, but if it's game servers, who not just change the port of each server instead?
    (sorry I don't know much about game servers)
    "Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Crunkinshoe View Post
    I'm going to attempt your suggestion softshop but I can't get into the robot right now as they are performing maintenance
    So you tried to debate with them for an additional IP for gameserver use and now you're trying to tell them it's for VPS? Let's not hope they're intelligent and notice the inconsitency. Good luck
    • Dedicated Servers in Europe and Asia: http://www.server.lu
    SINGAPORE and LUXMBOURG Servers with IPMI
    • Peering @ AMS-IX, DE-CIX, LINX, FRANCE-IX, EQUINIX SINGAPORE-PARIS-ASHBURN-CHICAGO-DALLAS-PALO ALTO-LOS ANGELES and LU-CIX •

Quote Originally Posted by globichen View Post
    So you tried to debate with them for an additional IP for gameserver use and now you're trying to tell them it's for VPS? Let's not hope they're intelligent and notice the inconsitency. Good luck
    I was thinking that too but I'll just try a new ticket and see if I get a different representative. Who says I'm not running game servers and VPS ;P If not I'll just cancel and go elsewhere.

Tell them its a fallover IP to make sure you services run unhindered.
    "Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by MrEliasen View Post
    Tell them its a fallover IP to make sure you services run unhindered.
    They will automatically setup failover IPs but it is 20 Euros/month for one lol.

I was thinking that too but I'll just try a new ticket and see if I get a different representative.
    And you think they're not reading this thread?

We all better start getting used to hosts doing IP validation properly. I'm just waiting for the turning point when hosts start auditing customers and asking for IPs back. Think of all those VPSs you used to be able to get with 2 to 5 "free" IPs. I'm waiting for the "xxxxxvps.com took 3 of my IPs off me! Scam!" threads to start LOL

Kudos to Hetzner for setting a good example

Quote Originally Posted by F-DNS View Post
    And you think they're not reading this thread?

We all better start getting used to hosts doing IP validation properly. I'm just waiting for the turning point when hosts start auditing customers and asking for IPs back. Think of all those VPSs you used to be able to get with 2 to 5 "free" IPs. I'm waiting for the "xxxxxvps.com took 3 of my IPs off me! Scam!" threads to start LOL

Kudos to Hetzner for setting a good example
    Lol I would hardly call denying a single IP setting a good example. It's fine for them to scrutinize but being so stubborn over a single IP with proper justification is silly.

Lol I would hardly call denying a single IP setting a good example. It's fine for them to scrutinize but being so stubborn over a single IP with proper justification is silly.
    You think?

I'll try and set a reminder to come back in a couple of years time and remind you that you said that.

Just like everything else hosting-related, there is no such thing as "unlimited" IPs. Hosts have to justify to ARIN, RIPE, or whoever their use of current IP allocations. So what if Hetzner send in justification for 2000 of their IPs as "Used for gameservers". ARIN could just throw it back with exactly the same reasoning and questions that you're trying to use in this thread.

Like I said, we all better get used to it. Hetzner are by no means the only provider who are adopting a more thorough validation process, and it's going to continue in that direction with all other hosts eventually.

Next time put VPS, SSL Webshop or NS2 in the clarification field the first time

Quote Originally Posted by WWS2010 View Post
    Thank you. If only I would have known

Cool! I have this vision of hosts starting a clipboard of notes of potential excuses that might be used to circumvent proper IP validation. Got any more they can add because NS2 ain't one of them? LOL

Anyone thinking that this is unique to Hetzner better think again. Just as an example, anyone tried "gameserver" or "NS2" as an excuse (ooops, sorry, I mean a "valid justification") with LiNode?

NS2 can be a valid reason. For example when registering .nl domains. These require NS1 and NS2 to be on different ips. Any europe host should know this

Quote Originally Posted by softshop011 View Post
    Just put in "VPS" and you should be fine
    Not the case with Hetzner, as we found out ourselves. Even VPS justification depends on how many IPs they think should be allocated per xxx RAM
    IT & Hosting Solutions Rotherham - Virtual6 Ltd
    IT Distributor | IT Manufacturer | Hosted Products | Business IT Support

NS2 can be a valid reason. For example when registering .nl domains. These require NS1 and NS2 to be on different ips. Any europe host should know this
    The reason it requires NS1 and NS2 to be on different IPs is for redundancy. I.e. if NS1 fails, NS2 probably still works. Adding both NS1 and NS2 to the same server (although with different IPs) is no redundancy at all.

Quote Originally Posted by F-DNS View Post
    Cool! I have this vision of hosts starting a clipboard of notes of potential excuses that might be used to circumvent proper IP validation. Got any more they can add because NS2 ain't one of them? LOL

Anyone thinking that this is unique to Hetzner better think again. Just as an example, anyone tried "gameserver" or "NS2" as an excuse (ooops, sorry, I mean a "valid justification") with LiNode?
    Are you trying to imply that a host should go on each customer's server once they have their IP's and check and see if they are using them correctly?
    Otherwise anyone can tell you anything and as long as it is "technically justified" you get the IPs.
    I'll agree the system is screwed up as most hand out IP's like candy and some are much stricter but this wouldn't be a problem if everyone just switched to IPv6

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast