Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* Servers in Hawaii

Does anyone know of any good dedicated server and/or VPS providers located in Hawaii?

Are you located in Hawaii? I could not imagine this to be an ideal place for servers... lol

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyAnonymous View Post
    Are you located in Hawaii? I could not imagine this to be an ideal place for servers... lol
    I would agree, the bandwidth and power would be more expensive. Anywhoo I do know of a Hawaiian Collocation

http://www.drfortress.com/

BTW- I am Hawaiian but live in Florida
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Join me on Technical.chat

Found a DC that offers colo and cloud services - http://www.drfortress.com/services.html might be worth emailing them asking if they could recommend one of their customers for VPS/dedi.

Edit:
    Too slow

Yeah they were the only ones I found and am currently awaiting a quote. I live in PA btw.

Quote Originally Posted by JakkFrosted View Post
    Yeah they were the only ones I found and am currently awaiting a quote. I live in PA btw.
    Why do you want service in Hawaii then
    SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD VPS!
    http://www.smarthost.net - sales@smarthost.net - Resale/Affiliate Programs
    Cloud Hosting - VPS Hosting - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Flux Capacitors

Hawaii sea cable are very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by BurstNET View Post
    Why do you want service in Hawaii then
    Untapped markets. The population may be small but the income per capita is huge. Lots of disposable income there.

Untapped markets. The population may be small but the income per capita is huge. Lots of disposable income there.
    Then get a server in LA or at least west coast USA. Pretty much all traffic is backhauled to mainland USA, so getting a server there is just going to double your latency. Hawaii is only a landing point for cables, not an interconnection point so most of your traffic is going to go from the islands to mainland USA and back again.

Quote Originally Posted by F-DNS View Post
    Then get a server in LA or at least west coast USA. Pretty much all traffic is backhauled to mainland USA, so getting a server there is just going to double your latency. Hawaii is only a landing point for cables, not an interconnection point so most of your traffic is going to go from the islands to mainland USA and back again.
    They just got back to me and are going to let me test a "few" cloud vm's for a while at no charge. I'll get back here if anyone wants to hear about the performance. Also, I don't care about latency to the mainland, I care about service within the island only.

Not bad on latency, probably because the amount of hops is reduced due to half the distance being transmitted by satellite. I would appreciate any input on the traceroute as to whether or not this is actually in Hawaii. IP location tools show Hawaii but we all know how reliable those things are.

Panel

Traceroute from a Chicago server

Cloud VPS Pricing (I learned each CPU is 1GHz):

Cloud Server Level 14

Cloud Server Level 14: $0.88/hr, 16GB Memory, 4 CPU
    Cloud Server Level 13

Cloud Server Level 13: $0.48/hr, 8GB Memory, 4 CPU
    Cloud Server Level 10

Cloud Server Level 10: $0.52/hr, 8GB Memory, 6 CPU
    Cloud Server Level 12

Cloud Server Level 12: $0.96/hr, 16GB Memory, 8 CPU
    Cloud Server Level 11

Cloud Server Level 11: $0.76/hr, 12GB Memory, 8 CPU
    Cloud Server Level 9

Cloud Server Level 9: $0.42/hr, 6GB Memory, 6 CPU
    Cloud Server Level 8

Cloud Server Level 8: $0.38/hr, 6GB Memory, 4 CPU
    Cloud Server Level 7

Cloud Server Level 7: $0.28/hr, 4GB Memory, 4 CPU
    Cloud Server Level 6

Cloud Server Level 6: $0.24/hr, 4GB Memory, 2 CPU
    Cloud Server Level 5

Cloud Server Level 5: $0.18/hr, 2GB Memory, 4 CPU
    Cloud Server Level 4

Cloud Server Level 4: $0.14/hr, 2GB Memory, 2 CPU
    Cloud Server Level 3

Cloud Server Level 3: $0.12/hr, 2GB Memory, 1 CPU
    Cloud Server Level 2

Cloud Server Level 2: $0.07/hr, 1GB Memory, 1 CPU
    Cloud Server Level 1

Cloud Server Level 1: $0.045/hr, 0.5GB Memory, 1 CPU
    Last edited by JakkFrosted; 03-01-2012 at 07:32 PM.

Looks like Hawaii, "hnl1" in the traceroute would be Honolulu.

I'll get back here if anyone wants to hear about the performance.
    Please do
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

I did, scroll up.

Quote Originally Posted by F-DNS View Post
    I was able to get someone in Hawaii to ping the server and they got a ping of 20. So I guess the traffic isn't going to the mainland and back.

I did, scroll up.
    Already read all that.
    edgedirector.com
    exactstate.com

It's too bad that drfortess seems to stand in the middle with its back to Asia looking towards the mainland. The ping times from Japan and other locations in Asia indicate that traffic is routed via the mainland.
    edgedirector.com
    exactstate.com

Well I was able to get someone in Hawaii to get a 20 ping so I think hosting there is better than the west coast US, for purposes of latency.

Yes, of course.

The ping between CA and HI is about 80ms.

The datacenter would be insane to transit traffic back and forth just to reach HI eyeballs. Or, at least not very forward looking.

It's just too bad that Asia is not really in their sights because doing business in HI would be so much easier.

Who wouldn't volunteer to transfer to HI to be the local hands on?
    edgedirector.com
    exactstate.com

Maybe you wanna try these people: http://www.lokahi.net/. I was talking with a guy that runs a forum for Hawaiian board gamers. He's the guy that tested the ping for me. He works at this place (not the place I tried the server from). He said he can set up a test system if I like. You can contact him here: http://www.hawaiigamers.net/forums/i...on=profile;u=1

Good luck and keep us posted. I would like to see how a Hawaii dedicated server lasts, performance wise and reliability.... I'm surprised there's hosting providers out there, I mean hey, why not?

p0go..

I was able to get someone in Hawaii to ping the server and they got a ping of 20. So I guess the traffic isn't going to the mainland and back.
    OK, so I better withdraw what I posted earlier. It does seem that there is at least some local connectivity on the islands, but I'd still want to see a lot more pings and traces from different local providers to convince me that having a server there would be a benefit to you and not get you into the situation of being able to serve some local visitors direct and the rest backhauling to mainland USA (and back again).

I did a quick bit of Googling and found this company. A trace to them goes via the same TWTelecom router listed in the trace you posted (in fact it's a TW IP). If you check whatever other local providers there are and find that they all interconnect locally then, yes, a local server might make sense.

However, as others have mentioned, putting a server on Hawaii doesn't help get "nearer" to Asia etc. It's a good job that's not what you're trying to achieve

Good luck with your research.

try islandtech.com
    http://www.QuoteColo.com - Colocation, Miner Hosting, Dedicated and Cloud Hosting Quotes

Eta till tornado and downtime :x

Quote Originally Posted by Wintereise View Post
    Eta till tornado and downtime :x
    Tornadoes? In Hawaii?
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast