* Server.lu / root.lu - Dedicated Server - Great Service

Hello all!

So I recently acquired a dedicated at Server.lu/root.lu to replace a bunch of VPSs from providers that had failed in Europe. So lets crack on.

To be perfectly honest I wasn't expecting much from this, but this blew my expectations. I will explain why shortly. I've had the server for around 2 weeks now and in that time period including the setup there has been no issues, which is promising.

Expectations.

I got the lowest specification server (4GB RAM, 500GB HDD as shown in the following offer (at their site), those specs for that price is quite cheap. One would expect that at such a price the price to performance ratio would be bad but I was proven wrong.

Setup and management.

Although I had my server setup manually by support, it was ready within 30 minutes of them sending the email out which is fast in my books. I can't comment on the automated system which they have however that should be faster. From what I can tell they're using a custom coded ticket, billing and server management system which is very snappy and is based on an AJAX interface so you don't have to load the page again and again. It just makes life easier that way. Everything is marked well, and it took me no time to figure my way through this system being a real noob to dedicated servers at this point in time.

The management system is fully automated, you can reboot, shutdown, reinstall all at your liking instantly which is very neat. Of course there are all the standard stuff such as bandwidth graph traffic statistics, server history, rescue console etc. and also an option to terminate the server and the contract. There's an API too for controlling the goodies. What’s neat about the reinstall system is it takes under 20 minutes, and contains some nice templates with all the standard plain OS's but also Proxmox, VMware ESXI, VirtualBox, and ISPCP which can come in very handy!

Support.

Usually one would expect support to take at least few minutes to reply, of course with my initial request it took a bit of time because there was other stuff involved but when I submitted a support ticket to find out the internal DNS resolvers I got a reply within 30 seconds and a prompt email notification of that.

Network.

I managed to max out my 50Mbit connection (UK), I can rarely get servers to do that unless they're located within a close proximity, and it's even harder to get a ~25ms ping to countries outside of the UK but my server gets a consistent ping of around 25ms which is great. Just simple, does what it says on the tin plus great peering etc.

Code:
    2012-02-26 23:19:54 (8.00 MB/s) - `100mb.test' saved [104857600/104857600]
    Overall.

My overall impression is that Server.lu / Root.lu is a great company to go by if you want quality servers for a cheap price. I'd definitely recommend them. I've not got any faults with them at the moment, however I'll keep you guys updated as time progresses although I'm very sure nothing serious will arise.
    Fiberoute :: Connecting Businesses

agree i was with server.lu for almost 1 year, too bad now their servers come with just 3Tb bw

Quote Originally Posted by bhanuprasad1981 View Post
    agree i was with server.lu for almost 1 year, too bad now their servers come with just 3Tb bw
    I wish to comment this, because it is semi true:

those 3TB are part of the basic plan. They can be upgraded to unlimited. It's on the website and it can be chosen during the ordering process.
    • Dedicated Servers in Europe and Asia: http://www.server.lu
    SINGAPORE and LUXMBOURG Servers with IPMI
    • Peering @ AMS-IX, DE-CIX, LINX, FRANCE-IX, EQUINIX SINGAPORE-PARIS-ASHBURN-CHICAGO-DALLAS-PALO ALTO-LOS ANGELES and LU-CIX •