From Web Design to Hosting Process

I was wondering what the actual process was between web designers and web hosting companies. I have always seen the following but wondering about other experiences and thoughts.

How do you account for clients that want you to fix web designer issues such as code that's not compatible with your version running on server?

Should the provider ever get involved in fixing code for the client?

1. Domain Purchase
    2. Hosting Company Selection
    3. Web Designer builds site
    4. Web Designer tests site in hosting environment
    5. Web Designer uploads finished product to hosting server

I never get involved with the domain purchase because it causes too many future issues with management and billing. I leave it to the responsibility of the client as well as hosting.

Not sure exactly what you mean by fixing code? Do you mean hosting environment issues or code put together by someone else?
    TiaWood.com - Smart Web Development Explained

Quote Originally Posted by meganerd View Post
    I never get involved with the domain purchase because it causes too many future issues with management and billing. I leave it to the responsibility of the client as well as hosting.

Not sure exactly what you mean by fixing code? Do you mean hosting environment issues or code put together by someone else?
    For example say the web designer built the site for a PHP 5.5 and not PHP 5.2. If the client asked for the site to run would you simply fix the code or have them go back to the web designer.

If a site is built for PHP 5.3, it needs to use PHP 5.3.
    You can't just ask the designer/developer to "make it work" with something else.
    You'll need to use the proper server environment -- not the other way around.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    If a site is built for PHP 5.3, it needs to use PHP 5.3.
    You can't just ask the designer/developer to "make it work" with something else.
    You'll need to use the proper server environment -- not the other way around.
    However the site can be recoded for another PHP version. If it is feasible is another question though.

I think it's all the responsibilities of web designer, you should confirm with hosting that their server will be compatible with your scripts.

Quote Originally Posted by lakridserne View Post
    However the site can be recoded for another PHP version.
    Not necessarily.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Its not the responsibility of web hosting company to fix the code. The buyer should be told that he must ask his designer to use the code that is compatible with the hosting environment.

would PHP work with a WS site?

Not necessarily.
    In 99.9 % of all cases I bet it can. There are always ways to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by benjohnsonfs View Post
    Its not the responsibility of web hosting company to fix the code. The buyer should be told that he must ask his designer to use the code that is compatible with the hosting environment.
    That's bass-ackwards.
    The hosting should be chosen based on the needs of the site.
    You don't base a site on the specs of a shared hosting environment. That's nuts.
    || Need a good host?
    ||

That's bass-ackwards.
    You don't base a site on the specs of a shared hosting environment. That's nuts.
    I agree that it *should* be done the other way around (i.e. choose a host that has the correct PHP version), but it *can* be done.

That's bass-ackwards.
    Exactly! I won't even do sites that are going to be hosted elsewhere.
    My VPS's are from premium companies and they're optimised and configured to suit my Joomla sites.
    I won't waste my time trying to battle with somebody else's low budget oversold cheapo hosting.
    If somebody refuses then they can go and find another designer.....cos I haven't got time to deal with that crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Lincxu View Post
    I think it's all the responsibilities of web designer, you should confirm with hosting that their server will be compatible with your scripts.
    This is how it is suppose to work. They ask the provider what versions of xyz they run. But what about those servers that are CentOS / RedHat and it's not wise to just build from source PHP 5.5 or MySQL 5.5.
    OCOSA Communications | Since 2003
    http://www.ocosa.com
    Domains, Hosting, Business Solutions, and Connectivity

That's bass-ackwards.

I agree and this is the way it's always been done but what if you get a client that just had some designer build a site and say hey install on your server?

Do you mess with those clients?

Do you try to explain to the client that your site may not function totally on our server?

Do you try to say hey we can upgrade our PHP let us break all of our clients sites for you?
    OCOSA Communications | Since 2003
    http://www.ocosa.com
    Domains, Hosting, Business Solutions, and Connectivity

Web hosting and web design is altogether a different business altogether. While web design comes into website development field, on the other hand web hosing is a bit technical field.