Thread: E-mail hosts

E-mail hosts

Hi guys,

I have a client who sends a large amount of e-mails. It is all solicited mail, subscribed etc. I have developed some software to send the emails for him.

I have been doing this with the same hosts for almost a year. Recently they have started to complain about it and have changed their terms of use to a completely impossible scenario, so I'm going to be moving away from them.

So I am looking for suggestions to where will have me. The emails at time can appear like spam but it is subscribed, and we include opt out links and such.

Can anybody suggest anywhere? Looking for probably 3-4 basic vps systems or a dedicated server.

Thanks
    <<please see forum rules for signature formatting guidelines>>

Have you thought about a cloud server?

We have a client that does a lot of email marketing so we set him up with Acrrisoft Email marketing. This way the mails are not coming from our servers or from his website and avoids a lots of problems. Hes been quite happy with it.

There are a number of bulk email services out there ya just need to take a look around.
    www.websitemagick.com "Add a little Magick to your Website"
    IwebNews.net

Tell us what terms of use were changed -- that way no one wastes yours or their time recommending similar hosts.
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    Tell us what terms of use were changed -- that way no one wastes yours or their time recommending similar hosts.
    In a nutshell the e-mails must of been collected via a double confirmation system, which is fair enough. But now they're saying that it must of be collected using one of their servers. Seeing as though I've been a customer of theirs for a year and this information is around 2 years old, it's quite impossible to fulfil this.

If they are mass mailings, why not use something like Mailchimp? You can use however you're currently collecting the email addresses and import them right into MailChimp and send through there.

They have a free version, but they place a small logo at the end of the email. The pricing is fair though and introduces some amazing features that your client will probably appreciate.
    Sajan Parikh - PHP Development | Server Management | Linux Administration | Web Consulting
    Feel free to get in touch with me if I can be of assistance with anything.
    e: sajan@parikh.io | w: sajan.io
    Give me a call at (262) 343-5973.

Thanks, but that would probably lose me a client as I have built them bespoke software

So I'm just looking for a reasonably priced host that is more understanding about mass mailing.

Quote Originally Posted by Doyley View Post
    Thanks, but that would probably lose me a client as I have built them bespoke software

So I'm just looking for a reasonably priced host that is more understanding about mass mailing.
    I see. Then yeah, you'll have to go with a VPS. With VPS providers, sending bulk email is generally prohibited in the ToC/AUP. However, if you get in touch with them and ask for approval, most providers will have a process that validates your email sending and will allow you to set something up with them.

Notable hosts that have such a clause that I've used and reccomend are KnownHost and IntoVPS. Just get in touch with them and tell them you want a server to send mass emails and they'll ask you all the right questions and get you going.

Edit: KnownHost is managed, but I'm not sure if they'll support you with a control panel which you probably don't need if you are just sending emails. IntoVPS is an unmanaged provider.

Make sure you check the RBLs for your IP and properly set PTR records too.
    Sajan Parikh - PHP Development | Server Management | Linux Administration | Web Consulting
    Feel free to get in touch with me if I can be of assistance with anything.
    e: sajan@parikh.io | w: sajan.io
    Give me a call at (262) 343-5973.

Great .. many thanks!

We're pretty picky about bulk emailing.

Statistically most of the bulk emailing requests do not get approved.

And yes, we require each customer to ask for our approval before sending emails.

Quote Originally Posted by Doyley View Post

You are right if you use another service. You could possibly ask for retainer for this client and just consult.

But you would need to get special permission from most providers if you are going to be an email marketing type client sending massive emails.

Bulk email is always a pain but if you are doing it the right way following protocol I personally do not see a problem with it.

Doyley, some questions:
    • has your current host received any spam complaints about your customer?
    • have you gotten on any blocklists?
    • did you perform a confirmed double opt-in for every email address on your lists?
    • have you asked your current host whether a re-confirmation run would be acceptable?

Hey.

Yes
    No
    Yes
    No

Current hosts have turned quite childish now too, responding with insults and things so I'm switching all of my servers away, not just the mail ones.

How many emails are you sending out?
    CrocWeb Cloud - High Availability Cloud Website Hosting
    > NVMe Storage, LSCache, Redis, Global CDN, Unlimited SSL
    > Triple Data Replication, Automated Server Failover
    > Bad Bots, Malware, DDoS Protection

At the minute, the script sends about 120 per minute .. Not constant. Runs for about 6 hours about once a day.