hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Colocation and Data Centers : Best SSD drives for dedicated and Raid

Forum Jump

Best SSD drives for dedicated and Raid

Reply Post New Thread In Colocation and Data Centers Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 06:44 PM
Web Hosting Master

Best SSD drives for dedicated and Raid

We are looking at adding SSD drives to our dedicated server offers, am curious what drives people are finding to work the best as a standalone drive and as a Raid drive?

█ Email: Sales(at)StealthyHosting.com Phone: 253-880-1233

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2012, 08:25 PM
unghhh... Baaandwidth....

Intel 320 series SSD, hands down. Great reliability, great performance, good pricing.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
Intel 320 series SSD, hands down. Great reliability, great performance, good pricing.
Any thoughts on the newer 520 series? That's what I've been considering myself.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2012, 09:01 PM
Private Citizen

Corsair Pro series are RAID friendly.
http://www.corsair.com/ssd/performan...eries-ssd.html

Old 02-23-2012, 09:09 PM
unghhh... Baaandwidth....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyITGuy View Post
Haven't tried them yet, sorry.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:12 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
Haven't tried them yet, sorry.
Are the 520 raid friendly?

Old 02-23-2012, 09:14 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibb View Post
Are the 520 raid friendly?
The firmware has the background garbage collection functionality in it's firmware if that's what you're referencing...and I've seen multiple reviews with people running them in various RAID configurations.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:17 PM
WHT Addict

I'm extremely happy with Crucial's M4. Even put them in my macbook and computer.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Web Hosting Master

We use OCZ Vertex2 and Vertex3 without problems but be warned, I have read lots of people do have problems. WMMV....

Old 02-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyITGuy View Post
See:
http://www.anandtech.com/Show/Index/...y-to-sandforce

Old 02-23-2012, 10:27 PM
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_halliday View Post
We use OCZ Vertex2 and Vertex3 without problems but be warned, I have read lots of people do have problems. WMMV....
We have a couple hundred ocz vertex 2's in production now and have been using them for the last 2 years or so. Only recently have we seen problems. Problems being we had a double drive failure knock out a raid 1 array. Their serials were about 100 units apart. We also had 2 instances in the last 3 months where a drive dropped off the controller. Popping it out and back in and it came alive fine. I believe that's the sandforce controller issue others see and are reporting as the typical windows bsod. We've since switched to intel 320's.

Having a double drive raid failure when the serials are that close is interesting to note. It leads me to believe that you have to be more careful with ssd raid because failed drives are likely to occur in batches. We check serials now and make sure not to put them close to one another in the same array.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:08 PM
THE Web Hosting Master

The only SSDs I trust are Intel (other than the 520's as I just don't like the history of the Sandforce controllers) and Samsung (the only company that controls the entire product, cache memory, controller, NAND, and firmware).

Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Old 02-23-2012, 11:13 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
The only SSDs I trust are Intel (other than the 520's as I just don't like the history of the Sandforce controllers) and Samsung (the only company that controls the entire product, cache memory, controller, NAND, and firmware).
Would choose the Samsung ones over the Intel ones?

What story is that with the 520

Sorry but I just are completely out of the picture regarding SSD, I would be looking for the ones you can go to sleep at night knowing they will not fail 1 month after being installed.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:25 PM
THE Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibb View Post
Would choose the Samsung ones over the Intel ones?

What story is that with the 520

Sorry but I just are completely out of the picture regarding SSD, I would be looking for the ones you can go to sleep at night knowing they will not fail 1 month after being installed.
Even though the 520 is an Intel and went through 1+ year of QA with Intel, it is still based on the Sandforce controller. I believe they fixed many of the issues, but with the general poor long term reliability of the Sandforce controllers I simply don't trust them. I've already seen reports od BSOD with those on Windows, which is one of the common Sandforce issues.

Samsungs have been extremely reliable as well, and we're looking to use Samsung 830's instead of Intel 520's ourselves. Samsung is the only company with full control over the ENTIRE manufacturing process, and can thus control quality throughout, building just an extremely solid unified system. If you are fine with SATA II and a little slower overall, the Intel 320 is still a great SSD.

Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Old 02-23-2012, 11:28 PM
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
Even though the 520 is an Intel and went through 1+ year of QA with Intel, it is still based on the Sandforce controller. I believe they fixed many of the issues, but with the general poor long term reliability of the Sandforce controllers I simply don't trust them. I've already seen reports od BSOD with those on Windows, which is one of the common Sandforce issues.

Samsungs have been extremely reliable as well, and we're looking to use Samsung 830's instead of Intel 520's ourselves. Samsung is the only company with full control over the ENTIRE manufacturing process, and can thus control quality throughout, building just an extremely solid unified system. If you are fine with SATA II and a little slower overall, the Intel 320 is still a great SSD.
Anand says in the article link I posted that Intel created their own firmware for sandforce and retains the limited rights to use it (regarding the 520's). In their tests they were not able to replicate the BSOD problem exhibited by the other sandforce controllers using non-intel funded firmware development.

How do you get your hands on the samsungs? Meaning through what outlet can I purchase them right now?