hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : Please Help Me Choose a Shared Web Host Based on Specific Criteria

Forum Jump

Please Help Me Choose a Shared Web Host Based on Specific Criteria

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old

Please Help Me Choose a Shared Web Host Based on Specific Criteria

I'm looking for shared hosting based on my specific criteria below. I'm most interested in HostGator, but don't like that they don't have R1Soft backups, and I don't like that I have to pay for site backup restoration.

I'm also interested in StableHost and Eleven2 as they meet most of my criteria below, and I would like input on reviews from others who are current or former customers of either of these hosting providers.

What I'm going to be hosting: vBulletin forum

What I want:

If I've marked an item below as "bonus", it's not required, but it would be a serious plus to me. Otherwise, if I haven't marked an item as "bonus", it's required for me.

-Accepts PayPal
-Ideally, I want to spend $5/month, absolutely no more than $10/month
-Bonus: A great Shared Hosting Offer thread here on WHT for an exclusive lifetime discount (in other words, if they offer a percentage off discount for life to WHT members, this is a serious plus)
-Big Bonus: Free .com domain name registration included
-Big Bonus: Free SSL and Free Dedicated IP
**-True 24/7/365 technical phone support and live chat technical support (not just 24/7 sales support) - most important feature to me. If it doesn't have 24/7/365 technical support, please don't recommend it to me.**
-Company that has been in business longer than 5 years (reliability is a big factor in my decision)
-A large web hosting company (e.g. HostGator) - please don't recommend small hosting companies or sites like BlueHost/HostMonster/Site5 (I won't do business any of those companies) (medium size companies are OK)
-True 99.9%+ uptime with a guarantee or it's free
-Money back guarantee of at least 30 days or more
-cPanel
-Unlimited domains, email addresses, MySQL databases, add on domains, parked domains, subdomains, etc.
-Reasonable amount of disk space and bandwidth (I know "reasonable" is subjective, but I estimate around 5 to 20 GB of disk space monthly and 50 to 75 GB of bandwidth monthly. Also, I don't mind if they do offer "unlimited" disk space and bandwidth, even though I know that it doesn't truly exist)
-R1Soft hourly and/or daily backups (or another reliable multiple backup server solution)
-Free site backup restoration (I don't ever want to pay to restore my site)
-Bonus: CloudFlare and/or CDN Hosting
-Bonus: More than 25 maximum MySQL concurrent connnections at any given time

If I think of anything else to add to this criteria list, I'll post a reply.

Thank you in advance for your recommendations based on my above criteria!

Last edited by photography; 02-21-2012 at 09:25 PM.

Sponsored Links
Old
Premium Member

Out of all those companies you listed stay away from HostGator with a vBulletin forum.

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin-HostAtom View Post
Out of all those companies you listed stay away from HostGator with a vBulletin forum.
Why do you say that?

Sponsored Links
Old
Premium Member

Past experiences with their hosting. Do a lot of work with vBulletin.

Old
Web Host Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmc2010 View Post
What I want:
You've essentially written the bio for Stablehost.
For second choice, maybe Stream101 or SpeedySparrow.

Or as I call them: my three S's.

You should simply contact each of them -- and any others you find on WHT or elsewhere -- and ask specific questions about SQL connections, how well vB runs on their servers, etc. Asking a general forum for advice is great. But sometimes asking the host directly can be better.

Old
Web Host Extraordinaire!!!

SpeedySparrow, last I checked, hasn't been in business longer than 5 years. 4 years, yes, but not 5 . That is, unless my memory is playing tricks on me.

Old

Thanks for the replies everyone, please keep them coming!

Old
Web Host Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
SpeedySparrow, last I checked, hasn't been in business longer than 5 years. 4 years, yes, but not 5 . That is, unless my memory is playing tricks on me.
No, it's been 5+ but started with another name.
I checked into it late last year. It's all kosher, the 2006-2012 on their site is accurate.

MDD is another good host -- toss you a mention since you're here.

Old
Community Liaison 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmc2010 View Post
**-True 24/7/365 technical phone support and live chat technical support (not just 24/7 sales support) - most important feature to me. If it doesn't have 24/7/365 technical support, please don't recommend it to me.**
While any quality host will offer 24/7 tech support by ticket, many don't want their highly-qualified (and highly-paid) techs wasting time chatting on the phone or live chat. If you really want to insist on this one you're going to exclude many excellent candidates. And even if you do find a provider that claims to offer it, the first time you ask the phone / live chat operator a difficult technical question they'll probably tell you to open a ticket anyway...

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by foobic View Post
While any quality host will offer 24/7 tech support by ticket, many don't want their highly-qualified (and highly-paid) techs wasting time chatting on the phone or live chat. If you really want to insist on this one you're going to exclude many excellent candidates. And even if you do find a provider that claims to offer it, the first time you ask the phone / live chat operator a difficult technical question they'll probably tell you to open a ticket anyway...
I can't agree more on this but with a slightly different take. Some companies do have very competent techs on the phone (smaller companies, generally), but most of them will ask you to open tickets anyway.

Why? Because you can track tickets. Phone calls are very hard to track and keep a history of.

One of the providers I worked for did away with phone support, saved a ton of money, and customer satisfaction went up.

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by foobic View Post
Good point. Allow me to clarify. I'm more concerned about 24/7/365 technical support by whatever means necessary (phone, live chat, and/or ticket). The more the merrier. However, as long as it has 24/7/365 technical support via at least one of these mediums, then that's what's most important to me.

Also, I found WireNine and am somewhat intrigued by their offerings and the fact that they meet my criteria, but they don't seem to have too many reviews.

Now that I have clarified this in regards to the support, can you recommend some of the excellent candidates you have in mind that also fit my above criteria, please?

Old
James Lee

Do you have a specific disk space and bandwidth requirements?

What is the average number of users online at your forum at the same time? This should be a big factor in determining the hosting plans that you should go with.

NoFrillsReseller.com | Budget Reseller Hosting + 24x7 Live Chat Support

Old

I don't have specific disk space and bandwidth requirements, but here are my estimates: 5 to 20 GB of disk space monthly and 50 to 75 GB of bandwidth monthly (not set in stone)

Old

I'm still currently deciding between HostGator, StableHost, and Eleven2. I would greatly appreciate any input from current and/or former customers of one or more of these companies as to which one they prefer out of these three (I've seen many reviews for HostGator, but far less reviews for StableHost and Eleven2). I'm leaning slightly towards StableHost. I also welcome additional suggestions that meet my criteria in the original post.

Old
Web Host Extraordinaire!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
No, it's been 5+ but started with another name.
I checked into it late last year. It's all kosher, the 2006-2012 on their site is accurate.

MDD is another good host -- toss you a mention since you're here.
Hmmm, I remember when Sean started - so it may just be that my memory isn't quite as accurate as it used to be... Even at 4 years, that's still quite a long time to be in the industry.