hosted by liquidweb


Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : How to tell how fast a web host will actually be?
Reply

Forum Jump

How to tell how fast a web host will actually be?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription
 
Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 18

How to tell how fast a web host will actually be?


Hi everyone,

So a simple question. Most webhosts will give you the details of how much monthly bandwidth you get. But is there any way to find out how FAST that bandwidth is given to you? Or in other words, is there any way to determine if one host will deliver faster page load times than another?

__________________
Improve Your Social Skills
50+ social skills lessons covering topics like how to make conversation, how to understand body language, and how to make friends!



Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old
Community Liaison
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 11,403
You need to ask for a test speed. That will tell you.

__________________
.
JoneSolutions.Com + SSS = Your Number One Choice On The Net - since 2001

It's Fully Managed and Secured. Ask us at sales @ jonesolutions.com .

  #3  
Old
Web Host Extraordinaire!!!
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana USA
Posts: 15,088
Bandwidth is not "fast" or "slow", but is merely a measurement of how "wide" the "pipe" is between the server and the switch/network/internet. A 10 GBPS connection is not inherently "faster" than a 10 MBPS connection in that the bits will travel the same speed from one end of the cable to the other. The difference is the amount of data that can be transferred simultaneously.

Now to put it into context, you're much more likely to be limited by disk I/O on the server itself, available CPU, and MySQL query speed than you are by the actual "width" of the internet connection to the server. Most servers I've ever had access to, even ones with up to 10,000 hosted domains, used an average of 10 to 15 MBPS to help put things into perspective.

Now as for finding out which host is going to process and deliver your pages the fastest, there are way too many unknowns really to be able to know without testing them directly. A test file will help determine latency / maximum transfer rate to you but that depends on a lot of variables that will often have little to do with the speed of your site itself.

The best way is to simply sign up (assuming they have a money-back guarantee) and try them out, and then requesting a refund if you're not happy.

__________________
Michael Denney - MDDHosting, LLC - Professional Hosting Solutions
LiteSpeed Powered - Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated, and VPS
For high-end shared accounts ideal for business, check out our Semi-Dedicated offerings!
http://www.mddhosting.com/ - Providing Quality Services since 2007

Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
Bandwidth is not "fast" or "slow", but is merely a measurement of how "wide" the "pipe" is between the server and the switch/network/internet. A 10 GBPS connection is not inherently "faster" than a 10 MBPS connection in that the bits will travel the same speed from one end of the cable to the other. The difference is the amount of data that can be transferred simultaneously.

Now to put it into context, you're much more likely to be limited by disk I/O on the server itself, available CPU, and MySQL query speed than you are by the actual "width" of the internet connection to the server. Most servers I've ever had access to, even ones with up to 10,000 hosted domains, used an average of 10 to 15 MBPS to help put things into perspective.

Now as for finding out which host is going to process and deliver your pages the fastest, there are way too many unknowns really to be able to know without testing them directly. A test file will help determine latency / maximum transfer rate to you but that depends on a lot of variables that will often have little to do with the speed of your site itself.

The best way is to simply sign up (assuming they have a money-back guarantee) and try them out, and then requesting a refund if you're not happy.
A very nice one reply =) shoot in the mind. it is better than you pay a speed test before purchase

__________________
********.COM | Web Hosting Provider
₪ Specialised in Web Hosting, Dedicated Server, Domain Name since year 2001.
₪ Trusted by over 50,000+ clients worldwide.
₪ Malaysia, Singapore, United State


  #5  
Old
Junior Guru Wannabe
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 80
The other way to find out how fast will your site will be is by checking out your host webpage loading speed.

Is it fast , or ....???

__________________
█ Celebration of Our Success! Check out our site for something special at http://www.pakdehosting.com
All-in-one Wordpress Website , hosting, domain & management solution

  #6  
Old
Disabled
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,565
Many host will provide a downloading test on their page such as inmotion. There're also only tools to test the connection speed between the hosting and your local ISP.

  #7  
Old
Dependable Web Services
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Modesto, Ca. - USA
Posts: 5,448
In short, just do your DD, what do current/previous customers have to say about the service? Where are the servers located? Are they overselling? Many factors to consider, however ultimately, if you are skeptical, sign-up monthly and test it out in real time (most web hosts have some type of money back guarantee).

__________________
Fernando Diaz Alfaro - Owner of FernGullyGraphics
Shared and Reseller Web Hosting Services - Web Design - Domain Names
WHM/Cpanel - Cloud Linux - Varnish Cache - Wordpress - Magento - Site Builders
Click Here to Learn More About Our Services!- Check Out Our Youtube Channel

  #8  
Old
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vancouver/Hong Kong
Posts: 1,226
First, speed does not depend (at least not entirelely) of allocated bandwidth. Second, considering that hosts don't have a single server spec, and now increasingly have multiple locations, speed will be determined by where your site is hosted. Finally, how far a web visitor is away from the server serving the web pages plays a big role in access speed. If I am in Hong Kong and host in Hong Kong I will likely get faster speed from my Hong Kong host than from a New York host with 100 times the bandwidth and top of the line infrastructure

__________________
HostGamma.com | HostGamma Europe | HostGamma Asia
Global Multi Location Hosting with 18+ Locations Worldwide
We accept: Paypal, Bank Transfer, Alipay, Skrill, 2CO, Webmoney, WU, MG

  #9  
Old
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2
These are two different things which doesn't
elevate each other in any direct or indirect manner...

  #10  
Old
Junior Guru Wannabe
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakdehosting View Post
The other way to find out how fast will your site will be is by checking out your host webpage loading speed.

Is it fast , or ....???
a) Providers website can be hosted on a different network that will show diffident ping and speed test results.

b) What about servers and content? Our website is fully static so it's served though Nginx, clients website also have Nginx front-end to serve static content, but still dynamic content has to served using Apache. Of course speeds will differ when 1 website will use PHP and MYSQL and the other consist just of HTML, CSS, JS content.

Shortly saying you should ask a provider for a speed test from the active nodes where they deploy customer orders.

__________________
Managed1.com - Affordable budget Fully Managed Hosting Services for individuals and business clients. Website Hosting. Domain Name management. High Availability Cloud servers - 99.9% Uptime, Self-Healing Failover, Load Balancing and Mirrored Backups.
Whisperdale.net - Internet Service Provider since 2007!

  #11  
Old
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4
Web hoster sent speed by dividing 4 block.

  #12  
Old
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,145
It really depends on the content used in the site as well as location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomholdings View Post
how far a web visitor is away from the server serving the web pages plays a big role in access speed. If I am in Hong Kong and host in Hong Kong I will likely get faster speed from my Hong Kong host than from a New York host with 100 times the bandwidth and top of the line infrastructure
+1

You can try putting the site on different providers servers and see which one load faster by using temp URL. You can also test the URLs using Pingdom Tools and LoadImpact.

__________________
HostXNow - http://www.hostxnow.com | Since 2009
Fast, Secure and Reliable [UK/USA] Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - VPS Hosting
cPanel/WHM CloudLinux (Multi PHP) Offsite Backups LiteSpeed TrendyTools Softaculous
Add your Web Hosting Provider to the Web Hosting Directory


  #13  
Old
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: /etc/my.cnf
Posts: 9,473
These days a speed test means jack all as 9/10 out of the time you will be testing against a completely empty machine which its sole purpose is for speed tests so going by that alone could have stewed results and inner flaws...

Its best to get through the doors and onto the server and use various online tests that would be much better than anything external.

  #14  
Old
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd/home View Post
These days a speed test means jack all as 9/10 out of the time you will be testing against a completely empty machine which its sole purpose is for speed tests so going by that alone could have stewed results and inner flaws...

Its best to get through the doors and onto the server and use various online tests that would be much better than anything external.
Well one provider could be using LiteSpeed where as the other provider isn't, or one has optimized the server where as the other one hasn't.

Using speed test tools such as Pingdom Tools, Google PageSpeed and LoadImpact should show you that one has put more effort into making the pages load faster on the server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
The best way is to simply sign up (assuming they have a money-back guarantee) and try them out, and then requesting a refund if you're not happy.
Another +1

__________________
HostXNow - http://www.hostxnow.com | Since 2009
Fast, Secure and Reliable [UK/USA] Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - VPS Hosting
cPanel/WHM CloudLinux (Multi PHP) Offsite Backups LiteSpeed TrendyTools Softaculous
Add your Web Hosting Provider to the Web Hosting Directory


  #15  
Old
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Greece
Posts: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
The best way is to simply sign up (assuming they have a money-back guarantee) and try them out, and then requesting a refund if you're not happy.
+1 on this also, that's the best way to test a provider,if it's bad then you get a refund,if it's good you stay,but always keep backups.

Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
looking for a FAST web host dingosnatch Web Hosting 18 02-26-2010 09:50 AM
Need a good, fast web host webhosting2134 Web Hosting 17 06-07-2009 09:37 AM
is there a fast web host out there? matt9b Web Hosting 10 12-14-2008 09:06 PM
Fast Web Host?? sivan Web Hosting 18 08-20-2007 08:49 AM

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
AHosting Launches ClipBucket-Optimized Web Hosting Web Hosting News 2014-07-21 10:29:12
Host Alive Listing 2014-10-22 09:49:00
Spiral Hosting Acquires Australian Web Host SpeedySparrow Web Hosting News 2014-01-13 11:27:35
Host Europe Names Former BBC Director General Lord Birt Chairman Web Hosting News 2013-12-03 09:41:21
The Host Group Launches Real-Time Data backup Services in North America Web Hosting News 2013-05-08 15:37:57


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Postbit Selector

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Login:
Log in with your username and password
Username:
Password:



Forgot Password?
WHT Host Brief Email:

We respect your privacy. We will never sell, rent, or give away your address to any outside party, ever.

Advertisement:
Web Hosting News:
WHT Membership
WHT Membership



 

X

Welcome to WebHostingTalk.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

WebHostingTalk.com is the largest, most influentual web hosting community on the Internet. Join us by filling in the form below.


(4 digit year)

Already a member?