Help me choose a host please!

We're looking at upgrading our server, currently we are on a virtual server with these specs:

Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard (64 bit)
    80GB space
    2GB RAM
    2-core 1.8ghz
    300gb bandwidth

The current host is being very kind, currently we are using nearly double our bandwidth allowance.

We serve ~1.1m page views a month now, and it's increasing fast. From the previous month to date we're serving another 200k page views.

Each page generally has quite a lot of DB interaction (SQL Server). CPU usage during peak time touches regularly on 100%. We serve some very large pages/files (one section of our website is an online arcade), some popular games are up to 10mb in size and they have the potential to receive bursts of visitors (around 10k in a 24 hour period). I'm not sure if our current setup could handle 2-3 simulatenous viral games.

Backups are starting to get big as well, I'd like to be able to have way more disk space, 80gb just isn't cutting it any more (we like to have last 30 days backups on the server if possible at the moment we can do about a weeks worth).

I've been looking at 1&1 dedicated which seem cheap. Coloc isn't an option for us at this stage, we'd rather pay a premium and not have to worry about it.

We've been looking at 1&1, 100 a month for:
    AMD Hexa-Core (2.8 GHz)
    16GB Ram
    1TB space

Thoughts? I'm open to other suggestions as well.

What is your max budget?

Moved > Dedicated Server.
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net providing web hosting services and support 24/7 since 2001.

Max budget I suppose would be 250 a month

Looking at reviews of 1&1, I'll recommend staying away from them. Do you have location preference for this? You can also consider looking at the current best selling E3-1230 processors which is very powerful. I'll also recommend considering RAID configuration so that you are protected against single HDD failure. When you outgrow this configuration in future, you can consider a separate dedicated box for SQL usage in private network.
    ██ Softsys Hosting ██ - 8 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - No False Promises!

DDoS Protected Managed VPS (Linux & Windows) - Enterprise Dedicated Servers - IaaS Cloud VM's - Windows VPS (USA / UK / Singapore)

I'm not sure if I should be buying for location, 25% of our traffic comes from USA, and another 25% from Europe, it's spread quite evenly across the world.

I'm not too bothered about RAID (should I be?) I keep regular backups and a 1 day outage isn't the end of the world for us.

Am I correct in saying the negative reviews for 1&1 are generally in customer support? And regarding cheap shared packages? We're able enough to just deal with most server issues on our own.

I didn't mention this before, but we are enrolled on Bizspark from Microsoft which means we have a valid license for:

- SQL Server 2008 enterprise
    - Windows Server 2008 enterprise

So would rather not pay for licenses for these if possible! I'm not sure if any host would let us provide keys?

Perhaps take a look at HiVelocity.

They can probably provide you what you're looking for a decent price.
    ColoCrossing - Dedicated to Uptime
    Jon Biloh | jbiloh@colocrossing.com | 1.800.518.9716 | Skype: jbiloh
    DDOS Protected Colo & Dedicated Servers in BUF, CHI, DFW

Stay away from 1 & 1, sorry, but they will not be able to provide a decent enough server for what they are charging.

that is a decent budget and go with a decent provider that can give you good bandwidth to both USA as well as EU locations. Best bet if you're thinking of moving, is open up a support ticket with your chosen new provider and ask them if they support the fact that you have your own MS licenses.
    UKDirectHost: Dedicated Servers in the UK, USA, Germany, France and Netherlands.
    Cheap Dedicated Servers | PEER 1 Partner
    Payment Methods: Credit/Debit Cards, 2Checkout, UK Bank Transfers, Moneybookers.
    FraudRecord, a collaborative effort to keep track of bad clients. Protects you from known spammers and fraud.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGG View Post
    I didn't mention this before, but we are enrolled on Bizspark from Microsoft which means we have a valid license for:

- SQL Server 2008 enterprise
    - Windows Server 2008 enterprise

So would rather not pay for licenses for these if possible! I'm not sure if any host would let us provide keys?
    This shouldn't be a problem as long as you're authorized to use these licenses in production web facing environment. Most hosts should be able to work out and let you install your own OS // use your own licenses for installed OS.
    ██ Softsys Hosting ██ - 8 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - No False Promises!

DDoS Protected Managed VPS (Linux & Windows) - Enterprise Dedicated Servers - IaaS Cloud VM's - Windows VPS (USA / UK / Singapore)

That isn't a problem with most host. If you are looking for a 2 core server I would recommend the core2dou, or even bumping up to core2quad. Remember also in choosing a host the price of the server goes far beyond the server when dealing with a good host. Along with the pricing of the server you should get good 24x7 support with good response times to any issues that may arise. So with a good host not only will you get the server at a good deal but you will get many services for free that go beyond the server itself.
    << Please review the Forum Guidelines regarding signatures >>

12. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!