UK Hosted Windows Desktop?

I'm new to this forum so please be gentle to me.

I'm a Brit who now lives in Spain and I'm trying to migrate my physical desktop online. What I need is access to Windows running Office, FTP, Rank Checker, email client plus a few other applications which I can access from a Tablet or notebook from anywhere in the world. It would also be good if I could use the server to run BBC Iplayer and Sky Player if possible.

Is all of the above possible? Any suggestions where I could purchase this package.

Thanks

Welcome,

You will struggle to literally migrate your desktop, there are tools you can get for physical to virtual conversions (P2V) such as VMwares live converter.

The problem is that legally you cant host a windows desktop OS, but you do have a couple of options.

what you would do is get a Windows server VPS and install your stuff on it again and move your data over although expect allot less storage than you probably have on your computer.

Or you could get yourself a cheapo dedicated server such as one of the ones from kimsufi (around £16 p/month) and put VMWare ESX on it and do a P2V conversion on to the ESX server and just move your actual OS on to that and access it over RDP/Web console.

As far as the BBCi and Sky Player go though that just wont work, sound forwarding is horrible with remote apps and there will be no hardware acceleration on the graphics so it will be pretty un-watchable (1 frame p/second at best)

There are smarter ways of working such as a combination of dropbox, terminal services remote apps, rsync, VPN and drive mapping or even remote web workplace but if you dont have much server experience it may be tough.

You could always put your requirements to EuroVPS and see what they say, they are one of the few hosts that have top notch windows admins that offer full management of your server so they could probably get things running for you in no time.

Hope that was of some help.
    -> INCEPTION HOSTING LIMITED Since 2010!
    -> I am most active on the lowendspirit hosting forum Come join us!
    -> PHOENIX USA & THE NETHERLANDS & UK EU

There is providers that offers Windows 7 on VPS. I can see that VPSLand.com do that. But they are in the US (and they have not the best reputation here). But if they offer it, other host may also offer it.

So most of your request can be done, so long you have the proper licenses etc.
    My Top 20 benchmark list (and review site)