Angry Bad Experience with DirectSpace - 2nd month Review

I initially contacted their billing department and requested for a custom VPS specifications, and provided my reason for it. They invoiced me, payment made within an hour and the setup was quick. The VPS specifications are: 10GB Disk Space, 128MB Dedicated RAM with 256MB Burst, 2TB 100mbps Bandwidth with single dedicated IP, for private proxy and VPN services.

I wasn't using much bandwidth, pretty sure it was less than 10GB last month, because the total used bandwidth meter in their SolusVM panel wasn't updating (almost) at all. Installations via YUM are so frustrating that most of the downloads are running at Dial-up connection speed, which is around 10-20kbps, and sometimes even 600-700B kBytes/s. I had no problem using wget tho, the speed was around 6 Mbytes/s. I didn't contact their tech support because i thought it might be some issues with their network and will be fixed very soon. Until the day my VPS got suspended, it's still not fixed yet.

They suspended my VPS about 4 days ago, and as soon as i realized i couldn't connect to my VPS, i contacted them immediately asking for the suspension reason. They replied "Your VPS was suspended due to outbound DDoS attack. Can you explain the activity on this VPS?". I was like, wth? The last thing i did on the VPS was reinstalling the OS and installed a repository (I don't remember the name), yes, nothing else. The most importantly i DID NOT launch any DDoS attack. I explained what was on the VPS and requested an evidence/proof for their statement, and this is what they replied:

It's very easy to send out flood on a VPS, and it has nothing to do with its resources. Each VPS node has a 1Gbps port meaning each VPS can spike that amount - that doesn't make it very hard for one to send out a DDoS flood.

Your VPS has violated our AUP with its network abuse, the attack was 1148k pp/s (packets per second) which is considered abusive - that is what our core router specified on your IP when we suspended your VPS.
    Wait, he was saying that i could use 1gbps with only 100mbps assigned to my VPS? If you didn't notice, he ignored my request for the evidence. I once again requested for it and it's been over 24 hours now, no ticket reply from them, and I need my VPS urgently. They take AT LEAST several hours for each reply, which is really boiling up my blood.

In their billing panel, Suspension Reason:OUTBOUND FLOOD. 148k pp/s

I will keep this thread updated.
    Last edited by Ventrix; 02-18-2012 at 01:44 PM.

We don't take customers offline for no reason - I easily found your ticket and account based off this thread. Unfortunately the activity on your VPS was abusive on our network, causing downtime and packet loss for everyone else that's on our LA network. This wasn't a reoccurring issue, but rather a single occurrence where we quickly disabled your VPS and nulled your IP due to packet abuse (outgoing flood). There would have been no reason to suspend and take your VPS offline unless it was indeed causing network issues for everyone else. I personally had to login to the back end network to disable your VE, meaning it was bottlenecking a single ISP on our LA 3Gbps of network capacity (BGP based).

And yes, a VPS can indeed utilize 1Gbps. Each of our VPS nodes are on 1Gbps ports, and there is no way for us to limit each VPS at 100Mbps as far as I know the SolusVM rate limiting doesn't work - nonetheless we've never used it, so your burst will always be 1Gbps. Our guaranteed minimum bandwidth offered is 100Mbps, but likely the node isn't bursting 900Mbps so you'll be able to use more than 100Mbps at all times.

If you would have been more cooperative with us via ticket, we would have unsuspended your VPS and simply watched it closer. Instead you went to blame us and also post on a public forum. Do what you wish, but you've violated our AUP and we won't be releasing the VPS now.

Have a great rest of the weekend WHT
    DirectSpace Networks, LLC
    Virtual Private Servers [OpenVZ & KVM], Colocation, and Dedicated Servers
    Offering premium & scalable datacenter services for over 11 years

Angry

You repeated why you suspended the VPS so many times, i asked for the evidence and you're still ignoring it. The VPS has never went beyond 80mbps with a few times speed test, you claimed that i had 1Gbps on it. How can i be 'cooperative' when you/your support team take several hours just to reply? You did not say anything about "unsuspended your VPS and simply watch it closer", instead i was blamed for 'sending out 148k pp/s'. You could have checked the running processes and terminate the one that was sending out that much of packets or unsuspend it to allow me to reinstall the OS.

You don't mind losing a customer because a $3 invoice won't get you rich.

I think the issue of high resource usage is linked to Apache.

Apache cause lot of resources and high server loads in low end VPS. I would suggest lighthttd.
    Anand N
    Author: Community Server Quickly

Quote Originally Posted by Ventrix View Post
    You don't mind losing a customer because a $3 invoice won't get you rich.
    You're right. We'd rather just let it go than let it effect the several other clients we have on the same node.

Quote Originally Posted by Ventrix View Post
    You could have checked the running processes and terminate the one that was sending out that much of packets or unsuspend it to allow me to reinstall the OS.
    We are an unmanaged VPS provider - it is up to you to monitor what you run within your virtual environment. If you would have offered a re-install, we would have gladly done so and unsuspended the VPS. You were very direct and rude with the entire abuse & suspension process (blaming us, posting on WHT), your IP was indeed flooding the node's port at the time we suspended it.

DirectSpace Networks, LLC
    Virtual Private Servers [OpenVZ & KVM], Colocation, and Dedicated Servers
    Offering premium & scalable datacenter services for over 11 years