Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 48-14 View Post
    Ok you seem sot be on top of most possible clues to the issue.

The server switch is to see if;

1. that specific server has issue or an upgrade that's not doing well with your site

2. a new high resource load customer is now on that server and causing the load

3. a new customer is abusing the server

I know usually the best thing to do is fix the site itself but a host is not going to mention what's happening on their end unless you really really bother them, then they will admit that something is wrong on their end.

So try to troubleshoot as best as you can, then ask and in some cases demand to move to a different server. They would rather keep you as a customer and do the move than to argue with you and tell you to leave. I've seen this trick work many many times.

Alright. I just updated the ticket I have with my host to ask for a possible server switch. In the meantime, any other possibilities?

Quote Originally Posted by celticpride678 View Post
    Alright. I just updated the ticket I have with my host to ask for a possible server switch. In the meantime, any other possibilities?
    If it's still spiking with the default theme and no plugins then I'm not sure unless I looked at the site myself since most of the obvious checklist items have been mentioned.
    ██ 48-14 Servers & VPS for 2013, Coming Soon!
    ██ Specialized in WordPress Hosting & Security Since 2006
    ██LiteSpeed Reliable Secure 99% Uptime Guarantee Softaculous Daily Backups
    ██ Email: sales [@] 48-14 .com Twitter: @4814

If it's still spiking with the default theme and no plugins then I'm not sure unless I looked at the site myself since most of the obvious checklist items have been mentioned.
    itsalltech.com is the website.

I find it remotely funny how the threads go on this forum.

Just about any shared host can support WordPress.
    1K visitors a day is not that much traffic even for shared hosting. Just use a caching plugin.
    WordPress is a pig and should not be on shared hosting servers.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

I've just been informed that the site has been moved to a new server. So far, it looks good (I've got about an hour of data) and I'll keep checking throughout the night.

Cool. Give it 24-48 hours or even a few days since it's the weekend and see how things go.

and TheJoker is right, some will say WordPress is evil and others give it absolute praise. It's just the issue that no server is the same or managed the same or has the same neighbors unless you get your own server, so on the customer level there's only so much you can do.

Keep us updated

does your provider (i can't remember who you said you where with) offer memcached? (that would help with speed, by caching parts in ram)

joe
    www.JGwebhosting.co.uk - CPanel Control panel, domain registration, Reseller packages And 24X7 Technical support! - Now Taking in Hosting Refugee's

www.JGpcrepair.co.uk - Computer repair, New Systems, Software, Hardware

Cool. Give it 24-48 hours or even a few days since it's the weekend and see how things go.

and TheJoker is right, some will say WordPress is evil and others give it absolute praise. It's just the issue that no server is the same or managed the same or has the same neighbors unless you get your own server, so on the customer level there's only so much you can do.

Keep us updated
    Well it's not like they hide their development work. On the contrary its right out there in the open. So you can see what their strategy is. Take this post on a core developer's site for instance. Look at how hard he's trying to keep MySQL load down by minimizing the number and complexity of queries that WordPress executes:

http://ottopress.com/2011/how-the-po...ress-3-3-work/

Also see this explanation post:

WordPress tends to be geared towards the lowest common denominator, which is shared hosting....

In a broader perspective, the biggest bottleneck to a database is the actual query processing. Once the rows have been retrieved into memory by the database server, sending them across the wire is relatively fast. This is simply another way of saying fewer queries is better (obviously), but it also implies that simpler queries are better as well.
    http://lists.automattic.com/pipermai...ry/011116.html

Good day:

1,000 unique visitors a day is small enough that by itself should not cause 100% cpu utilization.

While I'm familiar with some of your plugins, there are some I don't know about... and what is listed is rather high in terms of number of plugins.

I recommend reviewing the plugins that you really need to keep active, and disable (and after a week, delete) the ones you are not really using.

Then use a plugin like clean options (backup your database and site first) to clean any junk left from removing the plugins. Then deactivate clean options.

CloudLinux is a positive. It only becomes a negative when a hosting provider doesn't get into tuning it.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Website themes View Post
    Well it's not like they hide their development work. On the contrary its right out there in the open. So you can see what their strategy is. Take this post on a core developer's site for instance. Look at how hard he's trying to keep MySQL load down by minimizing the number and complexity of queries that WordPress executes:

http://ottopress.com/2011/how-the-po...ress-3-3-work/

Also see this explanation post:

http://lists.automattic.com/pipermai...ry/011116.html

What you say is true, but remember you have to think about WordPress from 3 different sides of the fence (yes I know 3 sides of a fence is not possible), the developer side, the host side, and the regular user side;

- almost any host can run wordpress. Can all of those any do it well, no. Which leave the customer confused as to why their having issues since they can't go into the server itself and see what's happening

- a developer can fully understand the links you sent and can also tweak WP to have very minimal php calls and all sorts tricks to make it run smoothly

- a regular user has no idea about any of those links and there are some that their technical knowledge is turn computer on, login into WP, write a post, hit publish, that's it. Ask them about the config file or wp-content folder and they have no idea what this means.

Hi all,

Things were looking good to start off with, but since then, CPU has been spiking up to 100% again. I'm going to ask my host whether there is a PHP cache installed on the server.

As I've said, the problem can't be related to plugins whatsoever. All plugins have been disabled, but CPU usage is still high.

Caching is not the issue and even if the server has it installed, it shouldn't cause your site to overload. So now that we went through the basic checklist your possibly going to need someone to go into your site and see what exactly is going on.

If all the plugins are off and your using the default theme then either there is an issue with your core WP install or something is happening in your account which is not related to WP at all, but again we can only try to guess what could be wrong.

Caching is not the issue and even if the server has it installed, it shouldn't cause your site to overload. So now that we went through the basic checklist your possibly going to need someone to go into your site and see what exactly is going on.

If all the plugins are off and your using the default theme then either there is an issue with your core WP install or something is happening in your account which is not related to WP at all, but again we can only try to guess what could be wrong.
    I'm fairly advanced with WordPress and the code. Are there any specific things you could give me to look at? There's nobody that I know of (who I trust) that can help me out and look through the site for me.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by celticpride678 View Post
    I'm fairly advanced with WordPress and the code. Are there any specific things you could give me to look at? There's nobody that I know of (who I trust) that can help me out and look through the site for me.

Thanks!
    No worries and since you like getting your hands dirty I will send you a message on some more things to do.

No worries and since you like getting your hands dirty I will send you a message on some more things to do.
    Excellent! Thank you for all of your help!

And also...host doesn't offer memcached on shared hosting (which I sort of expected to be the case)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast