hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Domain Names : Registering .vn domain

Forum Jump

Registering .vn domain

Reply Post New Thread In Domain Names Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 07:38 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Question

Registering .vn domain

I would like to register .vn domain

1) Can I register it for myself as individual and later transfer/sell to a company?

"In Vietnam, it is prohibited to transfer, lease or resell domain names in any form." - found it on several sites

2) Where is the cheapest place to register?

Many ask $100-200/year.

https://www.dot.vn/vnnic/vnnic/domainregistration.jsp - ask $200 and claims that they are exclusive: "Dot VN has an agreement with the Vietnam Network Information Center ("VNNIC") to be the exclusive online registrar and marketer for .vn."

http://vinahost.vn/tenmien.php?language=English - ask $15 for registration and $20 for renewal.

- Did anybody use them? What was your experience?
- How can they be so much cheaper than "exclusive online registrar"?
- Could you recommend any other reliable domain registrars?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2012, 07:33 AM
Web Hosting Master

This site may help you: http://www.vnnic.vn/english/

Cheap usually doesn't exist when talking about less common extentions. Small islands, developing countries, etc are often the most expensive extentions of all.

Some info you may want to consider:
http://www.vnnic.vn/english/5-6-300-...20071115.htm#2

While I could find no info prohibiting the sale of domains to third parties and make profit of it, it would make sense for a country that claims to be communist (even though I have my question marks on that claim) to prohibit its domain extention to be used for commercial trading and profit gaining. But then, Vietnam isn't the model communist country, so could very well be that trading goes on without anyone bothering to complain about it.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:32 AM
Web Hosting Master

Go through to link: http://www.vnnic.vn/english/5-6-300-0-7-02-20071115.htm there are some Oversea Registrars for .vn domain extension. You can check their prices and compare to all. Even most of the register's price is approximate $100 for .vn domain.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2012, 06:17 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Buying directly from nic always costs a lot more then from authorized resellers.
I don't know about .vn zone pricing, but 20$ can be reasonable price if it's a popular local reseller.

Managed1.com - Affordable budget Fully Managed Hosting Services for individuals and business clients. Website Hosting. Domain Name management. High Availability Cloud servers - 99.9% Uptime, Self-Healing Failover, Load Balancing and Mirrored Backups.
Whisperdale.net - Internet Service Provider since 2007!

Old 02-18-2012, 06:00 PM
Web Hosting Master

But are those resellers really authorised and reliable? ""Dot VN has an agreement with the Vietnam Network Information Center ("VNNIC") to be the exclusive online registrar and marketer for .vn." sounds pretty much like registering directly through the registry is the only legally correct option.

Also, it is not always the case that going straight to the source is more expensive. Most important is to not end up in legal problems through using an unauthorised point of registration.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:48 AM
Temporarily Suspended

You would be better to buy from abroad reseller, if you are not in Vietnam. But it's more expensive. If you are inside Vietnam now, you can buy from Vietnamese resellers, at cheaper price.

And currently, you cannot transfer your domain name to another owner.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:19 AM
Web Hosting Master

But isn't the reseller principle contradicting the statement from the registry that they are the sole distributor of .vn domains?

Old 02-22-2012, 10:59 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gate2vn View Post
You would be better to buy from abroad reseller, if you are not in Vietnam. But it's more expensive. If you are inside Vietnam now, you can buy from Vietnamese resellers, at cheaper price.

And currently, you cannot transfer your domain name to another owner.
Why it's not possible to buy from a Vietnamese reseller if I am outside of Vietnam?

Which foreign one would you recommend?

Old 02-27-2012, 10:20 PM
Temporarily Suspended

Oversea resellers you can see here http://www.vnnic.vn/english/5-6-300-0-7-02-20071115.htm
Unfortunately, I have no experience with any of them, so I cannot recommend.

Currently, depends on each reseller's policy, you will need to complete some paper works or not. That can take longer process time if you are outside of Vietnam.