what vps os and spec for my requirements?

I need a VPS to use as a remote desktop that is always on. It does not need to host websites or databases, it just needs to be able to be accessed from my home desktop when needed. The point of having a VPS is firstly so I don't need to leave my PC on 24/7 and secondly to be closer to a central server. This location requirement does not entirely out trump any of the questions below if they clash.

I wish to run Meta Trader 4 on the server 24/7 (http://www.metatrader4.com/)
    Meta Trader is a windows application, but I have recently installed Ubuntu on a home pc and have it operating fine with Wine.

Now I'm no Linux expert but I assume that running Wine on a Linux VPS will require a GUI to be added? I installed the desktop version of Ubuntu so it has a GUI. Maybe I should have installed the server version but I have read that these GUIs are the resource hungry and less stable and less secure parts of Linux installs.

I pretty much want a VPS that I can set up and not have to worry about security breaches to a reasonable extent for peace of mind.

Which will be less resource hungry? Linux with Wine or straight Windows?

Which Windows/Linux operating system would be best for my needs? (with what extras eg GUI for Linux?)

Should I get a Linux VPS or pay more for Windows?

How much RAM would the recommended OS need?

I would not need more than a 5GB disk space assuming VPS plans include the OS install space.

Any advice on the above would be greatly appreciated.

I would suggest windows, this would be default come with RDP
    〓〓 RackNerd LLC - Introducing Infrastructure Stability
    〓〓 Dedicated Servers, Private Cloud, DRaaS, Colocation, VPS, DDoS Mitigation, Shared & Reseller Hosting
    〓〓 www.linkedin.com/in/dustincisneros/
    〓〓 My fancy email dustin@racknerd.com

I saw that URPad offers Windows RDP only plans for a really good price ($10+) just a few days ago.
    I bookmarked them for later, for that reason.

Never used them, but URPad is part of FTN (FTNHosting), which has a few active reps here on WHT.

It's actually one of the only RDP plan hosts I recall seeing to date.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

I'd suggest you get a Windows VPS. Running Ubuntu Desktop is also possible, but better run it natively. You could do with any Windows version, I'd go for the cheapest version.

I'd say atleast 256 MB, but 512 really preferred. VPS plans do not include the OS install space, so take a minimum of 5 GB (again 10 preferred - Windows updates and so on).
    Evixo | VMware & KVM VPS solutions | Germany and the Netherlands | Daily backups
    █ Private networking available | High availability options
    https://evixo.com | 7-day money back guarantee, no questions asked.

~512 MB RAM or more, if you want to run several metatrader.
    In addition, it is important for a good network connection to the dealer server.