Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 33 of 33
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,045
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezus View Post
    Indicates that there are bugs where RSU won't work pre 15.0 and even then won't work on a layer 3 port. I find that kind of funny as when comparing these to the ex4200's one of the negatives mentioned about the ex4200's is no ISU. Yet here I am on the Cisco side and find it's a broken feature.
    You know you don't have to upgrade the entire ex4200 VC at the SAME TIME. You can upgrade it member by member.

    If the network is properly architected you can upgrade, even an ex4200, with no downtime. I would not rely on ISSU / RSU / etc to eliminate downtime. I would rely on proper network architecture to keep a network running.
    Redundant.com High Availability and High Performance Solutions
    Lowest Average Ping Time Networks in Dallas and Los Angeles
    Diverse connections to the Internap Performance Optimized Network

  2. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by TalentHouse Hosting View Post
    You know you don't have to upgrade the entire ex4200 VC at the SAME TIME. You can upgrade it member by member.

    If the network is properly architected you can upgrade, even an ex4200, with no downtime. I would not rely on ISSU / RSU / etc to eliminate downtime. I would rely on proper network architecture to keep a network running.
    I don't know, don't run them. That's just what comes out whenever the 3570x vs ex4200 comparison is discussed here.

    Not sure how your comment about relying on proper network arc to keep a network running applies to my situation so I'm gonna write it off as you just being cranky.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    669
    I think you may have been ok with SFP+ and twinax they have been around much longer than 10GBase-T so may be supported in your existing IOS.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,045
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezus View Post
    I don't know, don't run them. That's just what comes out whenever the 3570x vs ex4200 comparison is discussed here.

    Not sure how your comment about relying on proper network arc to keep a network running applies to my situation so I'm gonna write it off as you just being cranky.
    I did not intend to come off sounding cranky, for that I am sorry.

    I was simply saying that RSU/ISSU should not be a decision maker when buying switches as it has proven, from more than one vendor, to not be reliable.

    Was just hoping that if someone was reading this thread would have the full picture before using this to write off both the EX4200 and the Cisco 3570x on the sole basis that it does not support RSU / ISSU.
    Redundant.com High Availability and High Performance Solutions
    Lowest Average Ping Time Networks in Dallas and Los Angeles
    Diverse connections to the Internap Performance Optimized Network

  5. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by david_halliday View Post
    I think you may have been ok with SFP+ and twinax they have been around much longer than 10GBase-T so may be supported in your existing IOS.
    Yeah it says 12.2(53) support of the module we tried to order and we're at that or above. Not sure about the 5w power and sfp+ concern you raised though.

  6. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by TalentHouse Hosting View Post
    I did not intend to come off sounding cranky, for that I am sorry.

    I was simply saying that RSU/ISSU should not be a decision maker when buying switches as it has proven, from more than one vendor, to not be reliable.

    Was just hoping that if someone was reading this thread would have the full picture before using this to write off both the EX4200 and the Cisco 3570x on the sole basis that it does not support RSU / ISSU.
    Oh, gotcha now Yeah someone, perhaps you, posted on here about spreading the juniper vcp (or whatever they are) across multiple stacks as opposed to the same stack. I pictured that as two switches in each rack, top in one domain, bottom in the other. That way you can reload all the top switches while still maintaining connectivity at the bottom and vice versa. The juni's have longer supported stacking cables making that more feasible. I have found longer 5m+ stackwise cables but from only one maker and no evidence of their reliability. We mount the TOR switch stacks actually in the middle of the cabinets so stackwise from cab to cab really isn't an option.

    EDIT: Another reason stacking across cabs like that wouldn't work is we need about 35 lacp groups per cab and each vendor stack limitation is 64.
    Last edited by cheezus; 02-18-2012 at 03:10 PM.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezus View Post
    Yeah it says 12.2(53) support of the module we tried to order and we're at that or above. Not sure about the 5w power and sfp+ concern you raised though.
    Its a none issue for twinax cables.

  8. #33
    10g copper modules went in this weekend. The upgrade from ios 12 to 15 went smoothly, no issues. Created the etherchanels and they came alive. Haven't pushed much traffic through them yet but so far, so good, fingers crossed

  9. Newsletters

    Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Fiber optic supplier
    By david_halliday in forum Colocation and Data Centers
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-21-2011, 11:39 AM
  2. Optics on 40 Mile Fiber Link
    By Fascination in forum Colocation and Data Centers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-09-2008, 06:37 PM
  3. Need Opinion: On Fiber and Unlimited Fiber Optics (UFO)
    By aplawson in forum Colocation and Data Centers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 01:54 AM
  4. Fiber Optics Outside
    By richardparry in forum Hosting Security and Technology
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-03-2002, 01:46 AM
  5. Fiber Optics help
    By richardparry in forum Hosting Security and Technology
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-15-2002, 07:29 AM

Related Posts from theWHIR.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •