Copy files/subfolders to another folder in VPS

Hello.

I have a VPS with Debian 6.0 installed on it.

I have pretty simple question I guess for those who knows better.

For example, I have a folder called /test1/ and inside that folder files and subfolders.

I need to copy those files and subfolders inside /test1/ folder to another folder. I don't wanna copy /test1/ folder but the files and subfolders inside it.

Is there any easy way of doing that?

Thanks!

P.S.
    I tried cp -R /test1/ /destinationfolder

But it copies the whole test1 folder

cd test1;
    cp -R * dest

Try cp -R /test1/* /destinationfolder

Thank you! It worked.

One more question and sorry for bothering.

I have phpmyadmin installed and mysql of course.

But when I want to connect any application to the database with hostname 'localhost' it cannot be connected.

Is there any way to find out full mysql hostname address (like the ones on godaddy hosting)?

It would be better you can use existing registered domain. You just need to create subdomain and install your phpmyadmin into subdomain then point to your IP address after that you can access phpmyadmin anywhere.

I did install phpmyadmin, I can log in as root, everything works well there.

The problem is when I want to install some application, for example SMF forum.

In the field of mysql hostname, I enter localhost, but it doesn't wanna connect.

In VPS error log it says that it cannot connect to a database so I assume something localhost does not work for some reason.

So I was hoping there some way, either through SSH or somehow, to find out the full mysql hostname address, like godaddy is providing.

Thanks.

Oh dear. GoDaddy and the like provide a full hostname because the database server is on a different physical machine. In your case, with everything running on the one VPS, you should use localhost.

As root, did you set up the database and database user for the application? eg.
    Code:
    CREATE DATABASE dbname;
    GRANT ALL ON dbname.* TO dbuser@localhost IDENTIFIED BY "secretpassword";
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by foobic View Post
    Oh dear. GoDaddy and the like provide a full hostname because the database server is on a different physical machine. In your case, with everything running on the one VPS, you should use localhost.

As root, did you set up the database and database user for the application? eg.
    Code:
    CREATE DATABASE dbname;
    GRANT ALL ON dbname.* TO dbuser@localhost IDENTIFIED BY "secretpassword";
    if he didnt' set it up himself it might not have loaded networking and used a socket

Quote Originally Posted by juventus View Post
    I did install phpmyadmin, I can log in as root, everything works well there.

The problem is when I want to install some application, for example SMF forum.

In the field of mysql hostname, I enter localhost, but it doesn't wanna connect.

In VPS error log it says that it cannot connect to a database so I assume something localhost does not work for some reason.

So I was hoping there some way, either through SSH or somehow, to find out the full mysql hostname address, like godaddy is providing.

Thanks.
    localhost should work.

Did you create a database and database user for the SMF forum, and grant privileges on that database for the user?