My budget VPS experiences and recommendations

I've been using budget VPSes for a number of purposes (VPN, RoR hosting, Java hosting, etc.) and have suffered my share of bad experiences. However, there have been a few standouts that I think deserve some recognition, especially considering their "budget" price.

DD: dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    Bandwidth: All of the hosts below can saturate my 25Mbit Telus and 15Mbit Shaw connections making them ideal for VPNs.

I recommend all of the following:

BHost.net
    Support: Exceptional (< 30 min response times)
    DD: 130 MB/s
    Package: OpenVZ, 1GB (1.5GB Burst) RAM, 1.5TB/month, 25GB disk, 55 GBP / year
    Comments: This doesn't feel like a budget company. There have been no problems and support is some of the best I have experienced.

ServerAxis.net
    Support: Good (< 2 hour response times)
    DD: 150+MB/s
    Package: Xen PV, 512MB RAM, 500GB/month, 15 GB (SSD) disk, $9 US/month
    Comments: You can get whatever disk speed you want with this company. They guarantee minimum performance levels (iops) based on the package.

silverknighttech.com (Originally purchased from just295.com)
    DD: 90 MB/s
    Package: OpenVZ, 384MB RAM, 1TB/month, 5GB disk, $2.95/month
    Comments: Although they aren't offering the $2.95/month package any longer Silver Knight Tech has many offerings under $10/month and the support staff have not changed with the buyout.

chicagovps.net
    DD: 100MB/s typical (as high as 300+MB/s)
    Package: OpenVZ, 2GB RAM, 2TB/month, 50GB disk, $7 US/month
    Comments: This is an insane deal that they make available periodically. The package is regularly $24.95.

Honorable Mentions:
    I had a Xen PV account with BuffaloVPS.com that was very reliable but the price couldn't compete with the ChicagoVPS sale. Since they're operated by the same parent company I went with the greater bang / buck offer.

I had an account with intovps.com through work that also featured exceptional support (< 30 minute response times). When my company was acquired, this service was no longer required. They're a little more expensive than the offerings above but I experienced excellent uptime and support while with them.

Other
    I just picked up a securedragon.net Xen PV from a sale posted very recently. They seem very well reviewed but I obviously haven't been with them long enough to say anything meaningful. Here are the details for the curious:
    DD: 150+MB/s
    Package: Xen PV, 128MB RAM, 256MB swap, 15GB disk, $24 US / year

Thanks for this review. I actually used some of them like bhost and chicago/buffalo. I might try the other providers you listed mainly for vpn testing

Thanks for the mention!

I love to see multiple reviews as you did in this thread. You could report the IP or domains to mods so that they would validate the reviews. You can use the following link for that. That is a routine procedure here.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/report.php?p=7954818

Agree with iHubNet-Matt.
    It just that too many fake review now a day, to the extent could not differentiate which is true.
    ControlVM.com :: Elastic Cloud Hosting Alternatives to VPS Reliable Cloud Server
    Enterprise Hosting @
    Malaysia ● Germany ● USA ● Singapore
    We Accept: Paypal
    Alipay GrabPay Credit/Debit Card FPX Bank Transfer Bank TT

Thanks for posting your experiences. Some of us do read them.
    I've had my eye on a few of those you've reviewed, and this helps.

@Matt @CH - My gut feeling is that these are legit.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post

@Matt @CH - My gut feeling is that these are legit.
    Yeah it might be. I was not actually suspecting him. Just said to get it verified

Thanks for this great reviews
    I hope you still happy with your providers
    Web Developer

Just want to say, I can back up the OP's positive experience with ChicagoVPS; I bought their $7/month special plan a couple months back, and it's excellent. Speed is good, uptime is excellent. Only weakness is (maybe) tech support, which is very responsive but someitmes gives canned answers - still, they are extremely attentive to issues and are always willing to at least make an effort at helping.

For $7, you get way more than you pay for. Even for $25, it's not a bad deal at all. Highly recommended.

And for those looking for proof, here's one of my sites' DNS lookup.

I clicked "Report" immediately after submitting the review and listed all of the servers (common domain) for the providers I am presently with. It's my first review so hopefully that is the right procedure.

I'm happy to provide additional details if required.

Indeed, thanks for mentioning us .

Quote Originally Posted by denos View Post
    I clicked "Report" immediately after submitting the review and listed all of the servers (common domain) for the providers I am presently with. It's my first review so hopefully that is the right procedure.

I'm happy to provide additional details if required.
    Yes, that should be enough. Actually WHT is much reputed as it has a strict review verification procedure. So if you got a verified review, it would be more valuable. So I just mentioned to do that.

thanks denos, I ordered a VPS at intovps.com and their support is great, also their prices and uptime so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivraatiems View Post
    Just want to say, I can back up the OP's positive experience with ChicagoVPS; I bought their $7/month special plan a couple months back, and it's excellent. Speed is good, uptime is excellent. Only weakness is (maybe) tech support, which is very responsive but someitmes gives canned answers - still, they are extremely attentive to issues and are always willing to at least make an effort at helping.

For $7, you get way more than you pay for. Even for $25, it's not a bad deal at all. Highly recommended.

And for those looking for proof, here's one of my sites' DNS lookup.
    Quality contribution.

Happy to hear that you're pleased with your service at ChicagoVPS. I know a few of the people there and they do their best to make people happy.
    ColoCrossing - Dedicated to Uptime
    Jon Biloh | jbiloh@colocrossing.com | 1.800.518.9716 | Skype: jbiloh
    DDOS Protected Colo & Dedicated Servers in Buffalo, Chicago, Dallas and Los Angeles