Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down HostPolar / AltusHost

I've been with these guys for 4 months now, they were alright in the beginning with prompt support and fast response time. Come this early morning my server has been down and these guys have been pushing me around left and right and at one point saying they couldn't even find my account! The so-called support reps left the chat room at least 4 times on me without giving me any sort of resolution to my server being down.

I'm losing business because of them, I can't get my emails and I don't have access to my databases. They kept saying at one point, it'll take 2 hours... 3 hours later it would take another 2 hours until they stopped answering, no more updates, no nothing.

These people are completely unreliable and this is damaging to my image as well as to my business.

I'm looking for a reliable alternative and would really appreciate if you could help me out.

What type of plan did/do you have with them, and what are your needs? It's hard to offer any kind of advice without at least a basic bit of information from you.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,800 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

I have what they call a level 6 plan VPS

Level 6
    1024MB RAM
    2048MB Burst RAM
    80GB Disk Space
    800GB Bandwidth
    SolusVM Control Panel

With cPanel and 5 IP addresses for $40 / month on OpenVZ. I wouldn't mind more disk space, I want a XEN VPS and I want phone support. I also want the host to be in the United States and I want to stay away from start-ups... I need something reliable, sorry for the brevity of the thread, I'm just panicking because this sort of thing isn't supposed to happen and my business is on the line here. I will pay more for reliability.

For those specifications in Xen, you're likely going to be paying a LOT more than $40/mo unless the Xen pricing has changed a lot since I looked last (I don't watch VPS much). Thing is with that alone, is the license itself for cPanel is between $9 and $15/mo for the provider (depending on their volume, and how long they've been working with cPanel) so that cuts into their profit margin immediately. Add limited overselling of ram in Xen + phone support and you leave almost nothing for profits.

Hopefully somebody else will have some good suggestions for you. I know Linode, SliceHost, and KnownHost used to be talked about a lot here, not so much anymore but I don't think their service quality has decreased.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,800 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Thanks Mike, with Xen I wouldn't need 2gb of ram although Xen is just, in my mind, more practical and more reliable for my application. I wouldn't mind having OpenVZ again on a host that doesn't oversell and doesn't outsource its customer service and knows how to treat its clients properly. I don't mind paying double the price knowing I'm gonna get what I want. It was stupid of me to go with HostPolar just because of the advantageous price.
    Last edited by JCReviews; 02-13-2012 at 09:37 PM.

Angry WTF!

THESE PEOPLE ARE TOTALLY INCORRIGIBLE.

Their phone support is inexistent, they have recordings on all options which after making you wait for 2 minutes says, "we are sorry but due to the high volume of calls there is no one to take your call, go online and use the live chat"

This is more than 24 hours of outage later when I ask the stupid reps what's going on and they leave the chat room.

I need my files off their fail servers it's my work on the line there... I'm losing my damn business! What can I do to these guys to make them give me my files???

AltusHost "support" (term used loosely) is randomly outsourced to India and Pakistan, and much of what you receive as replies is gibberish. It's a horrible poor excuse for a host. This is the crew that erased my VPS due to some kind of incompetence, and then suggested that "maybe one of your friends hacked it" when confronted.

For budget OpenVZ unmanaged VPS, I use Evolucix and MrNerd, amongst others. They're quite reliable.

For Xen, I'd check out Downtownhost or VMPort.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Just noticed my HostPolar account is down as well, submitted a ticket, so far no response.
    Jmainguy Solutions | Tech Support for Linux game servers and Windows anything.

Ya you're gonna have to wait a while till you get anything... they said one of the ethernet cards on the server may be to blame, mine's been down 36+ hours

Now 36+ hours downtimes completely. Livechat is funny enough. As I try to chat with sales to check how stupid it is?

My question: Do vps plan have any downtimes lately because I need reliable
    Sales: We do not have any downtimes

What the suck ?!?

Waiting for it up and I will take backup for move quickly as possible

Quote Originally Posted by multiplecloud-zid View Post
    My question: Do vps plan have any downtimes lately because I need reliable
    Sales: We do not have any downtimes
    Yeah, even Pinocchio would be shocked at their lies.

This is just one of those really horrible hosts that everybody would do best to avoid.
    I never understand how lousy operations like this stay afloat.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Thumbs down Very poor support

I agree with your post.....This is the work service provider even I have seen in my life....really horrible....!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JCReviews View Post
    I've been with these guys for 4 months now, they were alright in the beginning with prompt support and fast response time. Come this early morning my server has been down and these guys have been pushing me around left and right and at one point saying they couldn't even find my account! The so-called support reps left the chat room at least 4 times on me without giving me any sort of resolution to my server being down.

I'm losing business because of them, I can't get my emails and I don't have access to my databases. They kept saying at one point, it'll take 2 hours... 3 hours later it would take another 2 hours until they stopped answering, no more updates, no nothing.

These people are completely unreliable and this is damaging to my image as well as to my business.

I'm looking for a reliable alternative and would really appreciate if you could help me out.

We are now down 48 hours with no kind of notification, no clue what's goin on, no way to retrieve data... beware of these people!!! Keep getting excuses that they're working on the nodes, the main node, yesterday I was told switches and routers were fine, it's a bunch of bullsh!t. I hope they see this and start doing something about it.

@^^
    it will be better if try to contact them here in WHT or open ticket again. May be it will help you.

Mine is still down, their Live chat basically said one moment and disappeared. Told me it would be fixed last night. Still down

My "Live Chats" today, both resulted in no information from the support, and them randomly leaving after 30 minutes of not saying anythig. Not looking good guys

http://paste.so/p/L0fD
    http://paste.so/p/kXqCI

That is pretty bad.
    Fiberoute :: Connecting Businesses

Quote Originally Posted by JCReviews View Post
    I have what they call a level 6 plan VPS

Level 6
    1024MB RAM
    2048MB Burst RAM
    80GB Disk Space
    800GB Bandwidth
    SolusVM Control Panel

With cPanel and 5 IP addresses for $40 / month on OpenVZ. I wouldn't mind more disk space, I want a XEN VPS and I want phone support. I also want the host to be in the United States and I want to stay away from start-ups... I need something reliable, sorry for the brevity of the thread, I'm just panicking because this sort of thing isn't supposed to happen and my business is on the line here. I will pay more for reliability.

Sorry, But I think your asking WHY too much and prepared to pay too little.

Its time to at least double that budget if you want phone support...
    UK Based Proactive Server Management.
    Zabbix Enterprise 24/7 Monitoring.

cd/home did you bother to read my replies? I already said I'd pay double if not more... going on 60 hours now.

going to be surprised if our servers come back online. I think hostpolar is going deadpool

The HostPolar servers are in WeLink NYC.
    I have a suspicion that Turelio/AltusHost simply didn't pay the bill.
    Because I've never known WeLink to be anything other than stellar at support.

r00ter is the WeLink rep at WHT: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/member.php?u=138949
    || Need a good host?
    ||

you think I could work something out with WeLink to get my data back? This is how humiliating this gets... Have you ever seen a grown man beg?

12:38:34 PM: John Caza:
    vps01
    12:38:34 PM:
    Welcome John Caza! Your request has been directed to the Technical Support department. Please wait for our operator to answer your call.

Call accepted by operator Representative. Currently in room: John Caza, Representative.
    12:38:34 PM: Representative:
    Hello
    how's my vps doin?
    what are problem your facing ?
    hmm
    let's see
    60 hours of downtime and counting?
    Can you please place a ticket for regarding this issue ?
    i got like 3 open already
    + your client login area
    doesn't exist anymore
    https://secure.hostpolar.com/clientarea.php
    i really need my data back
    Please update same ticket
    dude
    it's open
    just go check it
    and tell me it's gonna be fixed soon
    cause that's what i've been hearing for 3 days
    my server has been down 3 days
    THREE DAYS!!!
    ok I will get update as soon as possible .
    ticket # 915384
    ok
    I will get update as soon as possible on ticket .
    your member area / ticket system doesn't work anymore...
    how am i supposed to check it lol
    go here real fast https://secure.hostpolar.com/clientarea.php tell me what you see
    how can i get my database back?
    i just need a tiny little MYSQL dump
    PLEASE!!!!
    it would take one of your techs 30 seconds to do this
    can you please help me?
    please?
    i'm begging here
    so will you help me?
    i worked 2 months on this db, my application doesn't work without it, I don't have it backed up
    can you help me please?
    anybody there?
    hello?
    10 minutes no answer?
    i saw you typing something! please help me out
    anything?
    hello...
    Representative has left the conversation. Currently in room: John Caza.
    Last edited by JCReviews; 02-16-2012 at 09:47 AM.

their billing portal seems to be dead ...

Hope you get your data.

Tell tale signs of a dead host, their staff don't even know whats going on, or they're playing dumb.
    Fiberoute :: Connecting Businesses

as suggested by kpmedia, I talked to r00ter who is being very sympathetic of the situation and if it won't get resolved he said he'll help me get my data! Thanks dude! and thanks BassHost, I hope so too, this is BS.

They just sent me an email and quote

Hi,

We are really sorry for the long delay in getting this issue fixed.

we have diagnosed a potential failure of the ethernet card on our server and Hopefully it will be fixed by tomorrow.

As a compensation, we offer one month free hosting extension.

We are looking forward for your patience and co-operation.

Best Regards,

Xavier S.
    System Engineer
    HOSTPOLAR.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast