Serverhost/Plusweb adds Gig-E to Level3

Just after 1:30 PM Eastern Time today, our upstream brought a Gigabit Ethernet connection to Level 3 in the Columbus facility. This should improve speeds and latency for current and future customers. This brings the connectivity in the Columbus facility to include:

1000 Mbps to Level3
    (2x) 100 Mbps to FNSI
    45 Mbps to UUnet

We also will be releasing new pricing plans soon, including free rack space on some plans. We're also waiving setup fees for all customers relocating from a competitor.

Feel free to e-mail me directly with questions. Thanks, and have a great day.

Regards,

Jeffrey Kehe
    Last edited by qps; 05-21-2001 at 09:08 PM.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Located in Ashburn, VA, Los Angeles, CA, Chicago, IL, and Manchester, UK
    Since 2003 - 20+ Years! Dedicated Servers, Co-location, DDoS Filtering, Data Backup & More!

why do you?

Just out 0of curiosity why do you keep referring it to our facility, when your company doesnt own the facility.
    affordablecolo.com carrier grade colocation at a affordable price!
    Charles Baker - Company Operations
    1-866-316-HOST

Re: why do you?

Originally posted by cbaker17
    Just out 0of curiosity why do you keep referring it to our facility, when your company doesnt own the facility.
    Now why did you go and say that? I don't understand why it is your goal to knock down any host other than your own.

I edited it to fix the error. I apologize for any misunderstanding.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Since 2003 - 20+ Years! Dedicated Servers, Co-location, DDoS Filtering, Data Backup & More!

Maybe I am wrong but I thought you already had a gigabit connection to that columbus facility, thought your site used to list it somewhere, anyway it was and still is fast.

I am a customer of serverhost and the route to my server has changed, it is now 1 hop longer and the ping has gone UP by 5-10ms! So much for this new fast connection

I might be different to most people as I am in the UK...

Does serverhost/plusweb own that NOC?

charles, i agree with you. a lot of hosts here refer to a facility in which they colocate as "THEIR" facility. i wont mention names but i've even seen people and their webpages that state the the VDI noc is theirs.

still confused

Im still confused jeff, you still say you brought a gigabit ethernet connection, are you saying you yourself (company) bought the connection and solely use it??

Not trying to be rude just trying to understand your great new press release and ive also been looking at level3 products and may have a few questions....

Either way congrats!
    Last edited by cbaker17; 05-21-2001 at 08:18 PM.
    1-866-316-HOST

if not, maybe the facility brought it in.

We currently have a 200Mbps (Full duplex FastEthernet) uplink to AO Technologies which in turn has the connectivity listed above. We can turn up more bandwidth beyond 200Mbps at any time, but we don't need to at this point. Once again, we're not trying to mislead anyone.

They are also investigating adding DS3's to Qwest, Sprint, and Savvis for additional redundancy. We're hoping to work with them to build out a nationwide network to include peering at MAE-East, MAE-West, AADS, and others.

And yes, you may see additional hops now that Level3 is our default route, but that is just because Level3 has multiple routers that traffic has to go through before reaching their network. Speed certainly should no longer be an issue.

Regards,
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]

200mbps??

200mbps?? The fastest fast ethernet can go is 100mbps I thought, correct me if im wrong
    Last edited by cbaker17; 05-21-2001 at 09:30 PM.
    1-866-316-HOST

Re: 200mbps??

200mbps?? The fastest fast ethernet can go is 100mbps...
    Full duplex is 200Mbps.

"Full duplex operation is quite simple compared to normal Ethernet, and devices at each end of a full duplex link can send and receive data simultaneously over the link. One advantage of this approach is that the full duplex link can theoretically provide twice the bandwidth of normal (half duplex) Ethernet. The full duplex mode of operation requires that each end of the link only connects to a single device, such as a workstation or a switched hub port. "
    Last edited by qps; 05-21-2001 at 09:58 PM.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]

yes

yes but technically the ethernet standard can only send at 100mbps, while it can send at both times, it doesnt mean you get actual 200mbps throughput

And even if it could the interfaces on the actual device cant send or recieve any faster than 100mbps
    1-866-316-HOST

Re: yes

yes but technically the ethernet standard can only send at 100mbps, while it can send at both times, it doesnt mean you get actual 200mbps throughput

And even if it could the interfaces on the actual device cant send or recieve any faster than 100mbps
    I'm not going to argue with you; full-duplex is double the speed of half-duplex, regardless of how you try to twist it.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]

oh im

Oh im sorry if i sounded like i was argueing i wasnt trying too,

Im not a tech by any means so i was hoping someone else could clerify it, as im pretty sure that it cant be considered as 200mbps, but i could be wrong as again im not a tech
    1-866-316-HOST

Re: oh im

Oh im sorry if i sounded like i was argueing i wasnt trying too,

Im not a tech by any means so i was hoping someone else could clerify it, as im pretty sure that it cant be considered as 200mbps, but i could be wrong as again im not a tech
    A full duplex fast ethernet connection is theoretically capable of receiving data at 100 megabits per second while transmitting data at 100 megabits per second. This is 'technically' 200 megabits, but it's limited to 100 megabits in either direction.

Full-Duplex Fast Ethernet does allow double the bandwidth, if you consider maximum send/receive throughput.

When running half-duplex, devices cannot send and receive data at the same time. So, the absolute maximum theoretical bandwidth (not counting collisions and other real-world problems) you could get through the line is 100mbps.

With full-duplex, data can be sent and received at the same time. This is because you're running on a switch, which eliminates the possibility of collisions, and thus the need for collision detection. (With half-duplex, you must be listening for collisions while sending.) If you send and receive data full-rate, you have a maximum theoretical throughput of 200mbps.

Now, I wouldn't personally call 100mbps full-duplex ethernet 200mbps. But we also have DDR buses (or any other technology that transmits more than once per clock cycle) being referred to as 200MHz or 266MHz, when in reality the clock rate is half that. So, whatever works for you.

cool thanks

Cool thanks, i learn something every day, so to reitterate, technically it can transfer packets of info at that rate (200mbps) but the devices really only recieve at 100mbps??

If I understand you correctly, which of course might be the case
    1-866-316-HOST

Right. 100Mbps each way simultaneously.... technically a total of 200Mbps.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]

Just to add needless complication, 100mbps ethernet over CAT3 cable is actually 100mbps in one direction and 33mbps in the opposite (using 4 pairs at 33mbps each, with the two middle pairs capable of switching direction).

In short, there are so many standards for "Ethernet" that whenever anyone uses that word you should mentally replace it by "COTS network" and wait for details.

yes but

Yes but I dont really understand how you can classify it as 200mbps, its like a metal pipe with tapered ends, sure the actual pipe might be able to handle 200 gallons of water a second but going into the pipe and coming out its only able to get through 100 gallons a second, so really the only speed your ever going to get out or into that pipe is 100mbps not 200mbps, its a full duplex pipe so those gallons of water in the middle of the pipe dont colide.. i think full duplex is referring to packets being able to be sent at the same time, which does not equate out to speed...

So saying that its a 200mbps connection is misleading people...
    1-866-316-HOST