compare some hosts

I'm looking for a good provider for fully managed VPS. After some research, here is what I came up with (based on reviews/offerings):

-hostgator
    -mygosting
    -jaguarpc
    -futurehosting
    -servINT

Any thoughts? My budget is $150/month and most of my customer will be in the northeast USA/Canada. I've been warned against going with the big guys...

I have no direct experience with any of listed providers. However, is there any reason why WiredTree didn't make the list? With your budget you could go for a "Hybrid Server". I've always had a good experience with WiredTree although I'm no longer a customer.

Quote Originally Posted by noobstartup View Post
    I'm looking for a good provider for fully managed VPS.I've been warned against going with the big guys...
    All of the ones you listed are big guys. Stay away from the successful....that's what they are really telling you
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

If you're going for a VPS, your budget puts you in a place where you can pretty much go for the best, assuming that they can meet your requirements. Given such an ample budget, you probably want to start with your resource requirements (ram, disk space, virtualization type, bandwith, etc) and work your way from there.

Quote Originally Posted by noobstartup View Post
    Any thoughts? My budget is $150/month and most of my customer will be in the northeast USA/Canada. I've been warned against going with the big guys...
    With such a big budget you can buy a dedicated server just fine and escape from the Virtual world you should consider it.
    Best Regards / Melhores Cumprimentos,
    Bernardo Andrade
    Need a system Administrator?Contact me at email@bernardoa.pt
    Visit me at www.bernardoa.pt

Future hosting is well reputed here. Hostgator, tbh, never tried

Quote Originally Posted by Dig1 View Post
    Tell me what your requirements are cause you in overkill in $,z unless ya want a killer sever dedicated
    Well, unfortunately, I am way out of my depth here, so by "requirements" I can only tell you the numbers of users and functionality of the site. I do not know anything about hosting, networking, or hardware, so have no idea what i'll need. Anyway, when I go live, we are estimating about 1000 new members for the first week and then growing from there. The site is a social networking site, so will allows users to have images, messages, blogs, etc.

I was thinking of a dedicated server, but it might be overkill at the moment. I've been told that I should be fine spending about $50/month right now and then expand as I grow. Again, my budget is flexible, however, I do not want to be paying for resources I will not need until later.

My number 1 priority is to find someone who can take care of the entire hosting aspect of it. Basically, I want to give them my code and then they can worry about traffic, optimization, security, upgrades, etc. However, I've been told that a managed VPS does not provide that level of service.

I have no direct experience with any of listed providers. However, is there any reason why WiredTree didn't make the list? With your budget you could go for a "Hybrid Server". I've always had a good experience with WiredTree although I'm no longer a customer.
    I simply didn't come across WiredTree, but will look into them.

-hostgator
    -mygosting
    -jaguarpc
    -futurehosting
    -servINT
    Any thoughts?
    These are excellent VPS hosts:
    -jaguarpc
    -futurehosting
    -servINT

While HostGator is an excellent shared host, VPS users have valid mixed reviews:
    -hostgator

This is one of the big affiliate type hosts, like EIG, 1&1 or Godaddy:
    -myhosting

I want to give them my code and then they can worry about traffic, optimization, security, upgrades, etc. However, I've been told that a managed VPS does not provide that level of service.
    Yeah, that's outside the job of a host. You'll need to hire a developer that can also be a server admin.

Note that upgrading servers is not always the easiest/smoothest thing to do. So allow yourself room for growth on whatever plan you start with.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

FutureHosting!

Yet another one to check is site5 they have fully managed vps. For the type of service you are looking for I would really look for a web design company that does maintenance or managed hosting type services.
    Energized Web Hosting
    VPS Hosting | Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Domain Names

Check out DedicatedNOW, HostDime, KnownHost and FutureHosting!

Good luck.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

I would give a try to tmzvps.com they do have an offer on double everything which I think ends today, else they always have good promos, I am with them for a vps 1536 upgraded and to be honest, I don't have to complain.

with that budget you can go with top vps offer from them, do a search on the forum, you will find them

you should get a managed dedicated server if you spending 150 a month

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon Host View Post
    you should get a managed dedicated server if you spending 150 a month
    He's better off with a top-notch VPS with redundant hardware.