Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1

    Lightspeed or nginx

    What is better i currently have lightspeed webserver

    Nginx or lightspeed

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kepler 62f
    Posts
    13,902
    Better in what way?
    I like both, both work well. But I use each for specific types of sites/servers.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || New Editorial: HostGator Alternatives & Who is EIG?
    ||

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,762
    We use Litespeed with much success.
    We are very satisfied with it.
    Maxence H. - UBservers.com
    Specialists in high-performance hosting since 2008!
    Outstanding 24x7 support - Canada, USA, France

    SSD VPS Dedicated Servers SSD Web Hosting

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    356
    nginx trumps litespeed anyday when setup right.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    10,574
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggyMike View Post
    nginx trumps litespeed anyday when setup right.
    Do you have any tests to back this up?

    Anyway, LiteSpeed is the only option if you need something compatible with a common control panel like DirectAdmin or cPanel. It's also compatible with Apache-style configuration (.htaccess and httpd.conf). But if you don't have these requirements, nginx is definitely worth looking at.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    Do you have any tests to back this up?

    Anyway, LiteSpeed is the only option if you need something compatible with a common control panel like DirectAdmin or cPanel. It's also compatible with Apache-style configuration (.htaccess and httpd.conf). But if you don't have these requirements, nginx is definitely worth looking at.
    I don't have them on me but I remember seeing tests on the web.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    England, United Kingdom
    Posts
    9,327
    Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    But if you don't have these requirements, nginx is definitely worth looking at.
    This. Otherwise, LiteSpeed gets my vote.
    HostXNow - http://www.hostxnow.com | Since 2009
    Fast, Secure and Reliable [UK/USA] Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - VPS Hosting
    cPanel/WHM CloudLinux (Multi PHP) Offsite Backups LiteSpeed TrendyTools Softaculous

  8. #8
    nginx definitely has positive points with the speed and efficiency that it is able to deliver content. If you really want to try and figure out which one is better for you, try the standard free version of lightspeed or the 15 day free trial and come to your own conclusion.

  9. #9
    If you don't need to Apache compatibility, go with nginx. LiteSpeed is much faster than Apache, but nginx is light years faster than LiteSpeed.


    This is the only benchmark I could find:
    http://turnkeye.com/blog/nginx-vs-li...-test-magento/
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    10,574
    Quote Originally Posted by flam316 View Post
    If you don't need to Apache compatibility, go with nginx. LiteSpeed is much faster than Apache, but nginx is light years faster than LiteSpeed.


    This is the only benchmark I could find:
    http://turnkeye.com/blog/nginx-vs-li...-test-magento/
    Seems like a pretty old test. We've done some testing internally and that's nowhere near accurate.

    To say nginx is "light years" faster based on just one old test doesn't sound very conclusive to me.

  11. #11
    It's said nginx is much great for a single website on server, on the other hand, litespeed is better for multiple sites.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    Seems like a pretty old test. We've done some testing internally and that's nowhere near accurate.

    To say nginx is "light years" faster based on just one old test doesn't sound very conclusive to me.
    It's from a little over a year ago. It's not that old and it seems that not much has changed in the way of performance for both web servers since the time of the test.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lincxu View Post
    It's said nginx is much great for a single website on server, on the other hand, litespeed is better for multiple sites.
    Who says nginx is not great for multiple sites? Virtual hosts work perfectly in nginx.
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    15,413
    Please, please... Not *another* pissing contest. There are *PLENTY* of "Is LiteSpeed/Nginx/Apache better" threads if you run a search where lots of people have performed direct comparisons and benchmarks.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting, LLC - Professional Hosting Solutions
    LiteSpeed Powered - Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    For high-end shared accounts ideal for business, check out our Premium offerings!
    http://www.mddhosting.com/ - Providing Quality Services since 2007

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,391
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Please, please... Not *another* pissing contest. There are *PLENTY* of "Is LiteSpeed/Nginx/Apache better" threads if you run a search where lots of people have performed direct comparisons and benchmarks.
    Hence here's one I prepared earlier lol

    Quick a history of Webhostingtalk.com discussion threads on Apache vs Litespeed, Apache + Varnish Cache vs Litespeed, Apache, Nginx and Litespeed etc



    To sum it up

    1. You need to reach certain level of high concurrency traffic to see the real benefits of Litespeed web server compared Apache standalone web server. If you're forums or site are a new startup with very little in the way of concurrent visitor traffic, then Apache standalone server (if tuned optimally) should suffice . Tacking on Varnish with Apache will make things even more snappier and most cost effective boost a step up from Apache standalone.
    2. My first choice for very high concurrent traffic sites and best performance = litespeed web server or litespeed web server + litespeed cache or litespeed web server + varnish cache. I'm talking concurrency levels in the 1,000-10,000+ range. If you don't mind spending hours, days and weeks at a time managing/configuring and learning about nginx and nginx's alternative rewrite syntax for Apache htaccess/mod_rewrite equivalents, then nginx is also a good to Apache standalone.
    : CentminMod.com Nginx Installer (Nginx 1.9, PHP-FPM 5.3-5.6 & 7.0, MariaDB 10 + ngx_pagespeed + spdy + lua) for CentOS 6 & 7
    : Centmin Mod .09 beta - Nginx HTTP/2 support

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Woodbridge, NJ
    Posts
    834
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Please, please... Not *another* pissing contest. There are *PLENTY* of "Is LiteSpeed/Nginx/Apache better" threads if you run a search where lots of people have performed direct comparisons and benchmarks.
    Agreed. Neither is "better" than the other in the general sense. They all work just fine when properly configured.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Please, please... Not *another* pissing contest. There are *PLENTY* of "Is LiteSpeed/Nginx/Apache better" threads if you run a search where lots of people have performed direct comparisons and benchmarks.
    This happened when sense of direction went wrongly, by the way it is strongly recommend you to pay a research before shooting a new thread...
    ********.COM | Web Hosting Provider
    ₪ Specialised in Web Hosting, Dedicated Server, Domain Name since year 2001.
    ₪ Trusted by over 50,000+ clients worldwide.
    ₪ Malaysia, Singapore, United State

  17. #17
    Both are good. You can choose any two.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    DualUnmeteredDSL50 VAN,BC
    Posts
    1,015
    Quote Originally Posted by VectorVPS View Post
    Agreed. Neither is "better" than the other in the general sense. They all work just fine when properly configured.
    meh... I quoted you to disagree but I realize you chose your words so carefully I can't... I just pick nginx because it doesn't have the same greed component that Lightspeed has... Might mean that someone has to know what they're doing... but for a long-term legitimate project, licensing costs matter to me... no matter how much the project makes... why? Because every penny is a part of my market advantage...

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    In the Internets
    Posts
    3,470
    Quote Originally Posted by netdude View Post
    meh... I quoted you to disagree but I realize you chose your words so carefully I can't... I just pick nginx because it doesn't have the same greed component that Lightspeed has... Might mean that someone has to know what they're doing... but for a long-term legitimate project, licensing costs matter to me... no matter how much the project makes... why? Because every penny is a part of my market advantage...
    Best not to reply to a thread and a year and a half old

  20. Newsletters

    Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Similar Threads

  1. Apache, NGinx, Lightspeed or Lighttpd?
    By RandomLittleHost in forum Hosting Software and Control Panels
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07-19-2011, 10:25 PM
  2. Magento Nginx vs Litespeed: Nginx 3x faster?
    By vitalis in forum Web Hosting
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-19-2011, 03:15 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-03-2011, 04:57 AM
  4. Nginx Admin: The Free cPanel Nginx automated installer Plugin
    By JohnCS in forum Software & Scripts Offers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-21-2011, 11:45 AM

Related Posts from theWHIR.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •