Edis.at VPS review

I wanted to migrate my main site to a cost effective VPS.

After some searching and reading reviews on WHT:-) I zeroed in on edis.at

Got a VPS with them at CH location. It is the KVM premium plus VPS.

Setup was within a couple of minutes.

I have now configured it fully and setup my main site on it.

It runs fast and I can access my site at super speeds from where I am (India).

Its been only 3 days now. It is still early days but for now I am super happy.

KVM seems to run very well.

I will keep updating this post on the 12th of every month and give a monthly progress report on how the VPS is doing.

Thanks edis.at for the VPS.

My main site for verification: www.twin-india.org

Thanks and God bless.
    Michael
    "For I know the plans I have for you" declares our Lord Jesus Christ, "they are plans to prosper you, to give you a hope and a future and not to destroy you." - Jeremiah 29:11

Your site loads very fast from the UK as well. Glad your happy hope your good service continues....

Always to hear a positive review! Best of luck and be sure to keep us updated with another review in the future.

Cheers
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

I have had a perfect first month with edis.at - No trouble at all. The site is up and running fast. I have not noticed any down time nor network hiccups.

www.twin-india.org is running well. Thumbs up to edis.at

Will update again on April 13, 2012.

Thanks and God bless.
    Michael
    "For I know the plans I have for you" declares our Lord Jesus Christ, "they are plans to prosper you, to give you a hope and a future and not to destroy you." - Jeremiah 29:11

Unfortunately we are having a nightmare with EDIS

Unfortunately, unlike you and few other here, we are having a nightmare with EDIS (with our kvm_22147_002432, ip 178.209.52.40).

Unfortunately we did not took our time to send them all your questions BEFORE GIVING THEM OUR CREDIT CARD DATA.

And, as it seems, EDIS.at do not follow the fair deal practices that you may be accustomed by other european providers.

Quote Originally Posted by plasticdoc View Post
    Unfortunately, unlike you and few other here, we are having a nightmare with EDIS (with our kvm_22147_002432, ip 178.209.52.40).

Unfortunately we did not took our time to send them all your questions BEFORE GIVING THEM OUR CREDIT CARD DATA.

And, as it seems, EDIS.at do not follow the fair deal practices that you may be accustomed by other european providers.
    Would you mind being more specific? My KVM with edis.at works like a charm and their support was always friendly, so I cannot really imagine having a nightmare with them...

Quote Originally Posted by technichristian View Post
    I have had a perfect first month with edis.at - No trouble at all. The site is up and running fast. I have not noticed any down time nor network hiccups.

www.twin-india.org is running well. Thumbs up to edis.at

Will update again on April 13, 2012.

Thanks and God bless.
    Michael
    can you indicate your specifications i.e. what plan you have and where your server is located. I am in the market for a fast-loading VIA.

Quote Originally Posted by Amitz View Post
    Would you mind being more specific?
    I would and I will but unfortunately when I try to give you a proper answer the webhostingtalk software keeps telling me that I must have at least 5 previous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by plasticdoc View Post

Please reply to the 2 (TWO) eMails we sent you before stating things like that, your behaviour is simply not acceptable.
    Just so that you see it here also: We have a 4HOURS, maximum 24HOURS cancellation policy - NOT 4 days like you have your server.
    As others can surely tell you that we often also accepted 2 days or more in case of REPORTED technical issues (within the promised package that is, not extras we don't offer).

You are "complaining" about extra services, that we never offered on the site or in the contract or tos, and features that may be "standard" at other providers but aren't with su and were never promised.
    If you allow i post your email and my answer to it here.
    If you don't i won't since it is against our privacy policy, but i still stand my point in this.
    You can also at all time overwrite your creditcard data or change your payment options to for example PayPal to do this.

Thanks for reading,
    William @ EDIS

Part 1

We wanted to migrate a couple of sites from linode (Newark, NJ DC) to an european VPS.
    After a good deal of searching and following a lot of good reviews here on WHT, we selected edis.at.

From day one all was UNNECESSARILY difficult:

a) for installing the current version of Ubuntu Linux Server. It was necessary to give them Ubuntu's link to the CD image and then to use a clumsy VNC access to autoinstall this CD (how different from the cleanliness of Linode or Inceptionhosting)
    b) To set a rDNS it had to be hand set by an edit.at support clerk (it took 3 days to have their support answer our simple question on how to set a rDNS... they just changed it after that period).
    c) It took the same 3 days to be answered on how we could buy an extra IP. We couldn't. We got a terse 'we do not sell additional IPs currently'

Part 2

d) Questioned about if we could latter upgrade our KVM VPS package we got as answer 'Yes, but we need to delete the KVM completely since we can not resize the HDD'. Again very inconvenient and quite different from the common practice on several other VPS vendors.

So, as we are European based, we followed the instructions from the Austrian consumer defense org 'Verein für Konsumenteninformation' and sent EDIS.at an email asking for the resolution the contract and the refund of all amounts payed or due in relation with this contract.

Up until now they did not answer our email.
    But immediately after we sent that email, they did draw funds from our VISA account, using the VISA card data that we registered with them.

So a word of caution about EDIS.at. Take your time to send them all your questions BEFORE GIVING THEM YOUR CREDIT CARD DATA.
    Beware: EDIS.at do not seem to follow the fair deal practices followed by other European (and American) providers.

Up until now they did not answer our email.
    But immediately after we sent that email, they did draw funds from our VISA account, using the VISA card data that we registered with them.
    This is NOT correct.
    I replied you TWICE, to both of your eMails.

Proof is attached, the date/time on top is the time our ticket system indexed your email - the date/time under it our reply.

The last time we charged creditcards was at the 07.03.2012 13:26:12 - nothing after that, i specifically asked our accountant about it.
    The timestamp is also in the VISA record export, just look at your bill.
    Please don't lie.

William @ EDIS

As a note:
    YES, it took 3days to reply the customers ticket - We are sorry for that, but the success of switching over to WHMCS and bulk new orders made it difficult to keep up.
    Since RDNS and a question about additional IPs are not really critical the ticket got lower priority.
    For INSTANT support in emergencys we have our phonelines open 24/7 (also noted on the website) - Why didn't you just call in if it was so important for you?
    I know, this sounds like an excuse but it should not be one - we are working hard, including getting more staff, to get our response time again up.

a) for installing the current version of Ubuntu Linux Server. It was necessary to give them Ubuntu's link to the CD image and then to use a clumsy VNC access to autoinstall this CD (how different from the cleanliness of Linode or Inceptionhosting)
    b) To set a rDNS it had to be hand set by an edit.at support clerk (it took 3 days to have their support answer our simple question on how to set a rDNS... they just changed it after that period).
    1.) Yes, we do not have an actual Ubuntu. 10 is LTS and still well supported, tested under KVM to work and tweaked for our base. This works fine for 99% of the customers, for the 1% we have the ISOs and VNC.
    2.) See above, also please stop calling me clerk - This is not a store.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bildschirmfoto 2012-03-13 um 15.42.19.png   Bildschirmfoto 2012-03-13 um 15.42.40.png  
    Last edited by William-AT; 03-13-2012 at 10:51 AM.

@technichristian nice review. Hopefully you'll update us when you've been at edis more in the future!

@plasticdoc

To be fair I've read your points and as a customer of them and quite a few vps companies past and present I would like to highlight a few things.

# Upgrading KVM HDD is a pain in the ass and requires A LOT of work from personal experience. Linode use XEN which is easy to upgrade. As far as I know, no kvm company offers upgrades.

#RDNS wasn't supported in the main control panel solusvm until recently (if its even their now). I remember last year waiting for a week and even being told that I couldn't set a RDNS even with well known providers.

#IPV4 are running out and providers are being pressured. I think the ticket could of been answered quicker though.

Maybe there's been a bit of a language barrier also involved between two people speaking there non native language?

Hope you work things out; seems like a bit of a communication problem. The chargeback didn't really help things though.

EDIT: William beat me too it!
    Last edited by Fiberoute; 03-13-2012 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by William-AT View Post
    Please reply to the 2 (TWO) eMails we sent you before
    Shady commercial practices indeed.

Regarding your emails. This was taken from the header of the email that we JUST received from you:

Received: from postrelay10.edis.at (postrelay10.edis.at. [85.126.233.183])
    by mx.google.com with ESMTP id f3si19572932wiw.40.2012.03.13.07.13.04;
    Tue, 13 Mar 2012 07:13:04 -0700 (PDT)
    Received-SPF: pass (google.com: best guess record for domain of support@edis.at designates 85.126.233.183 as permitted sender) client-ip=85.126.233.183;
    Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: best guess record for domain of support@edis.at designates 85.126.233.183 as permitted sender) smtp.mail=support@edis.at
    Received: from mailrelay.edis.at (postrelay10.edis.at [85.126.233.183])
    by postrelay10.edis.at (Postfix) with ESMTPS id E57ACBB0611F
    for <EDITED@gmail.com>; Tue, 13 Mar 2012 15:13:03 +0100 (CET)

You see, our email is relayed and time stamped by google mail services. It was sent and arrived at "13 Mar 2012 15:13:03 +0100 (CET)"

In fact you only answered our emails when we first posted our complaint here at webhostingtalk.

Note:
    this time is GMT+1(!) VIENNA - Which is 1 hour AFTER your time.
    So when the header says 15:13 it is 14:13 in YOUR TIMEZONE.

Nonetheless, regardless of this email, i already replied to your eMail yesterday - see attached screenshot.

I am also waiting for the Creditcard booking reference number from you so i can proof that we never charged your card.

EDIT: Here is the logfile, all times in GMT+1:
    mailrelay:/var/log# date
    Die Mär 13 16:24:14 CET 2012

Mar 12 15:22:25 mailrelay courieresmtpd: RCPT TO:<*@*.com> ORCPT=rfc822;*@*.com
    Mar 12 15:22:25 mailrelay courierd: started,id=0000000018B6E87F.000000004F5E06A1.00002B95,from=<support@edis.at>,module=esmtp,host=*.com,addr=<*@*.com>
    Mar 12 15:22:25 mailrelay courieresmtp: id=0000000018B6E87F.000000004F5E06A1.00002B95,from=<support@edis.at>,addr=<*@*.com>: 250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 91D7CBA52A3B
    Mar 12 15:22:25 mailrelay courieresmtp: id=0000000018B6E87F.000000004F5E06A1.00002B95,from=<support@edis.at>,addr=<*@*.com>,size=11515,success: delivered: [85.126.233.183] [85.126.233.183]
    Mar 12 15:22:25 mailrelay courieresmtp: id=0000000018B6E87F.000000004F5E06A1.00002B95,from=<support@edis.at>,addr=<*@*.com>,size=11515,status: success
    Mar 12 15:22:26 mailrelay postfix/smtp[1811]: 91D7CBA52A3B: to=<*@*.com>, relay=ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.com[173.194.70.26]:25, delay=1.4, delays=0.07/0/0.48/0.84, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 OK 1331562146 s6si15092547wif.13)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bildschirmfoto 2012-03-13 um 16.07.14.png  
    Last edited by William-AT; 03-13-2012 at 11:24 AM.

(Sorry for doublepost, edit limit)

You are free to verify this with google by quoting this messageid: 0000000018B6E87F.000000004F5E06A1.00002B95 and the timestamp to their support and getting their logfile.

I am out of here, everything we did was correct and you are lieng to anyone here now - You are free to contact our lawyer at additional questions that we may or may not reply to then.
    I did show proof that you were asking for unreasonable actions, then a refund outside of our policy (EVEN THOUGH WE NOT EVEN BOOKED YOUR CARD YET!), then you lied about the emails and the card booking - this is not nice behaviour.
    Your account and VPS have been deleted and we may start legal action against you.

End of the story.

William @ EDIS

Nonetheless, regardless of this email, i already replied to your eMail yesterday - see attached screenshot.
    You may be rude as you wish, you may even try to bend European law as you seem feet. You may bend EDIS.at CMS software and its time stamps as you see fit.

But the fact is that you said "We have a 4HOURS, maximum 24HOURS cancellation policy - NOT 4 days like you have your server."

And, in the next post, you said: "YES, it took 3days to reply the customers ticket - We are sorry for that, but the success of switching over to WHMCS and bulk new orders made it difficult to keep up."

If I am not wrong, it seems that you have found a new way to avoid the so-called "24HOURS cancellation policy"... just keep the customer waiting for 3 days!

You said that you were sorry but, in what relates to us, you do not need to be sorry, it would be enough if you could only be fair.

The problem here does not seem to be technical. Contrary to what you argue, it does not seem to be a fault of your WHMCS, nor a consequence of bulk orders that you said are being difficult to keep up, as you are arguing...

The problem here seems to be EDIS.at starting to develop a difficult relation with honesty. And, at the same time, their clerks getting better at being vociferous and rather economical with the truth.

So my advice to the neophyte:
    Be very careful and think twice before choosing EDIS.at
    Take your time to send them all your questions BEFORE GIVING THEM YOUR CREDIT CARD DATA.
    Be aware that they have a very peculiar view about of the European and Austrian law.
    I am NOT saying that they are dishonest... but, be very careful, better safe than sorry!!!
    Last edited by plasticdoc; 03-13-2012 at 12:25 PM.

Last warning: Stop it.

As others here can state i am a nice guy and try to help where i can, even breaking our own rules and guidelines here at Edis to give customers the chance to cancel their VPS after half a month or similar if they are unhappy. We are not after a few euro.
    If you would NOT HAVE send some form letter, from a website that you likely can't even read since it is german, i WOULD have deleted your VPS without any charge.

I gave you the timestamp AND THE MESSAGE ID.
    Go ask Google, or should i do?
    I am 100% certain they will state for me that this email was sent yesterday, and arrived yesterday.
    Also, this is not OUR CMS, it is a ticket system, externally integrated.
    I have logfiles that cannot be faked about this email beeing sent out at this time i stated.

Also, your first email that we replied 30 minutes later DID NOT CONTAIN A WISH TO CANCEL OR SIMILAR.
    If it would have, like a few others, arrived in this 3 stressful days, WE WOULD HAVE COMPLIED WITH IT AND CANCELLED IT AFTER THIS 3 DAYS FREE OF CHARGE since the late reply was our own fault.
    Due to your post i looked now, and see that, you lied again, we did reply not even 30minutes later - i personally replied just 30, THIRTY, minutes later to it.
    I have again logs, and the maillog that it was overgiven to google, for this.

Go ahead, allow me to post the emails from you here.
    If it is like you say, what do you have to fear?

I censor your name out of it and post it here, for everyone to read and decide themself.

Attached is the Header of the email you sent about the extra IPs - It clearly shows the time (again, GMT+1) it arrived and the time i replied to it.
    Your VPS was created on 2012-03-08 19:43:07 - The ticket was sent in, and replied, on 2012-03-12 - This is again WAY over the 24hour timeframe.

Come on, you are exposed already, do you really want to risk severe legal action by continuing to lie?

PS.: i am still waiting for the Invoice number from your Creditcard bill to proof that we never booked it.

William @ EDIS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bildschirmfoto 2012-03-13 um 17.36.02.png  
    Last edited by William-AT; 03-13-2012 at 12:41 PM.

Last warning: Stop it.
    I guess this how some Austrians try to apologize.

You must understand that there is something fundamentally wrong with you. You are failing to understand that bullying and intimidation tactics won't get you nowhere. Good products, proper client service and politeness will.

I am out of here. I will not feed your trolling and bullying anymore.

Just to pop in and say that it's not true that you can not upgrade/resize disk on KVM. I do it @ work, 6sync does it as a KVM VPS provider..

Let me get this straight: I have not, will never and have no intention to "apologize" in any form.

We are 100% right here, i have posted the proof - and you remain silent.
    Where is the invoice number? where is the maillog from google? where is the allowance to me to post your emails?
    Why do you fear that i post your emails here in public? I know it, Because you KNOW they contain an entire different story.
    Go ahead, give me the permission to post them, along with the google timestamps and checkheader to proof that they are 100% as recieved.

I am waiting....

Just to pop in and say that it's not true that you can not upgrade/resize disk on KVM. I
    Yes, while this is (technically) true it does not work on our system since we use another form of storage than them (file based vs. lvm volumes).

It looks like you are just causing problems, I have been with EDIS for over a year and have had NO problems.. I'm not even a good customer, there isn't a single bill that i've paid on time

Just by looking in the posts in this thread it's obvious that william is trying to do everything he can to resolve this issue and provide proof to back up what he says, but you ignore anything he asks and don't give permission for him to show proof or even show your own proof

Quote Originally Posted by n!ghtmare View Post
    It looks like you are just causing problems, I have been with EDIS for over a year and have had NO problems.. I'm not even a good customer, there isn't a single bill that i've paid on time
    I will not comment on that.

Just by looking in the posts in this thread it's obvious that william is trying to do everything he can to resolve this issue and provide proof to back up what he says, but you ignore anything he asks and don't give permission for him to show proof or even show your own proof
    Well, he may be "trying to do everything he can", but what they should and apparently are not willing to, is to comply with the Section 5e. para. (2) and Section 5d para. (1) and (2) of the Austrian law, namely the Federal Act of 8 March 1979, (Konsumentenschutzgesetz - KSchG), available in .pdf and .doc form here : http://www.ris.bka.gv.at/Dokument.wx...r=ERV_1979_140

"Section 5e. (1) The consumer may rescind any distance sales contract or contract statement within the scope of any distance sale until expiry of the periods specified in Paras 2 and 3 below. It shall be sufficient for the consumer to mail the statement of rescission before expiry of such period.
    (2) The period of rescission shall be seven working days, with Saturday not counting as a working day. For contracts on the delivery of goods it shall commence on the day of their receipt by the consumer; for contracts on the rendering of services it shall commence on the day on which the contract is entered.
    (3) If the entrepreneur has failed to comply with his information obligations pursuant to Section 5d (1) and (2), the period of rescission shall be three months as of the dates specified in Para 2 above. (...)"

"Section 5d. (1) The consumer shall be furnished with a confirmation in writing of the information referred to in Sub-paras 1 through 6 of Para 1 of Section 5c in good time during performance of the contract, or, in the case of goods not designed for the delivery to any third party not later than at the time of delivery, (...)

No. 6 of Para 1 of Section 5c being: "6. the existence of a right of rescission (...)"

Have you all been provided with all the required info stated bellow? When?.

Because if you paid with a private means of payment (like a personnel VISA card or a personnel Paypal account) and bought goods for your own private use (as opposed to doing business or reselling) you are a consumer under the European law and, as such, entitled to those rights.

I do not know if I was I clear enough, but I strongly feel that it is our duty to support fellow consumers from shady commercial practices.

The problem is better resumed here: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=8010866

Thank you all. I will not post again in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by investorz View Post
    can you indicate your specifications i.e. what plan you have and where your server is located. I am in the market for a fast-loading VIA.
    I have the KVM Premium Plus.

To be fair here, the EU/country law overwrites any site TOS. If TOSs are not aligned to the law then they are considered invalid. Country Law > TOS every time. Not sure what the law says in Austria or weather EDIS TOS contradicts it or not (not saying that), but I have seen my fair share of TOSs that contradicted local laws so I had to make this point.

Now, with the above being said, as a 3rd party observer and with 0 implications in the case ( do not know EDIS at all nor do I use their services), I would have to side with EDIS on this one. plasticdoc, not sure why you are complaining here... they mentioned they never charged you. So it is easy... you signed up, you did not like their service, they did not charge you, end of story. Why start several threads about it and post stuff all around? 1 thread is enough, we will all read it and that should be the end of it.

To clear things, allow EDIS to post the entire conversation between you 2. Then everybody can judge by themselfs who is right or wrong since everybody has their own interpretation of right and wrong. But this constant posting and flaming all around is ridiculous... you have your thread about it, keep to it. Do not hijack other threads with copies of your story since it is very rude. Write you opinion if you want but then leave it alone. Right now, you completely hijacked this thread and I am not sure why you have not been warned by a moderator yet.

At the end, you can always sue them if you feel you were wronged that much.