hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : VPS Hosting : Edis.at VPS review

Forum Jump

Edis.at VPS review

Reply Post New Thread In VPS Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Aspiring Evangelist

Edis.at VPS review

I wanted to migrate my main site to a cost effective VPS.

After some searching and reading reviews on WHT:-) I zeroed in on edis.at

Got a VPS with them at CH location. It is the KVM premium plus VPS.

Setup was within a couple of minutes.

I have now configured it fully and setup my main site on it.

It runs fast and I can access my site at super speeds from where I am (India).

Its been only 3 days now. It is still early days but for now I am super happy.

KVM seems to run very well.

I will keep updating this post on the 12th of every month and give a monthly progress report on how the VPS is doing.

Thanks edis.at for the VPS.

My main site for verification: www.twin-india.org

Thanks and God bless.
Michael

"For I know the plans I have for you" declares our Lord Jesus Christ, "they are plans to prosper you, to give you a hope and a future and not to destroy you." - Jeremiah 29:11

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Guru

Your site loads very fast from the UK as well. Glad your happy hope your good service continues....

Old
WebHostingTalk Lover

Always to hear a positive review! Best of luck and be sure to keep us updated with another review in the future.

Cheers

█• We transfer your sites over quickly! • I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Sponsored Links
Old
Aspiring Evangelist

I have had a perfect first month with edis.at - No trouble at all. The site is up and running fast. I have not noticed any down time nor network hiccups.

www.twin-india.org is running well. Thumbs up to edis.at

Will update again on April 13, 2012.

Thanks and God bless.
Michael

"For I know the plans I have for you" declares our Lord Jesus Christ, "they are plans to prosper you, to give you a hope and a future and not to destroy you." - Jeremiah 29:11

Old

Unfortunately we are having a nightmare with EDIS

Unfortunately, unlike you and few other here, we are having a nightmare with EDIS (with our kvm_22147_002432, ip 178.209.52.40).

Unfortunately we did not took our time to send them all your questions BEFORE GIVING THEM OUR CREDIT CARD DATA.

And, as it seems, EDIS.at do not follow the fair deal practices that you may be accustomed by other european providers.

Old
Divided by Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticdoc View Post
Unfortunately, unlike you and few other here, we are having a nightmare with EDIS (with our kvm_22147_002432, ip 178.209.52.40).

Unfortunately we did not took our time to send them all your questions BEFORE GIVING THEM OUR CREDIT CARD DATA.

And, as it seems, EDIS.at do not follow the fair deal practices that you may be accustomed by other european providers.
Would you mind being more specific? My KVM with edis.at works like a charm and their support was always friendly, so I cannot really imagine having a nightmare with them...

Old
WHT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by technichristian View Post
I have had a perfect first month with edis.at - No trouble at all. The site is up and running fast. I have not noticed any down time nor network hiccups.

www.twin-india.org is running well. Thumbs up to edis.at

Will update again on April 13, 2012.

Thanks and God bless.
Michael
can you indicate your specifications i.e. what plan you have and where your server is located. I am in the market for a fast-loading VIA.

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amitz View Post
Would you mind being more specific?
I would and I will but unfortunately when I try to give you a proper answer the webhostingtalk software keeps telling me that I must have at least 5 previous posts.

Old
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticdoc View Post

Please reply to the 2 (TWO) eMails we sent you before stating things like that, your behaviour is simply not acceptable.
Just so that you see it here also: We have a 4HOURS, maximum 24HOURS cancellation policy - NOT 4 days like you have your server.
As others can surely tell you that we often also accepted 2 days or more in case of REPORTED technical issues (within the promised package that is, not extras we don't offer).

You are "complaining" about extra services, that we never offered on the site or in the contract or tos, and features that may be "standard" at other providers but aren't with su and were never promised.
If you allow i post your email and my answer to it here.
If you don't i won't since it is against our privacy policy, but i still stand my point in this.
You can also at all time overwrite your creditcard data or change your payment options to for example PayPal to do this.

Thanks for reading,
William @ EDIS

Old

Quote:
Part 1

We wanted to migrate a couple of sites from linode (Newark, NJ DC) to an european VPS.
After a good deal of searching and following a lot of good reviews here on WHT, we selected edis.at.

From day one all was UNNECESSARILY difficult:

a) for installing the current version of Ubuntu Linux Server. It was necessary to give them Ubuntu's link to the CD image and then to use a clumsy VNC access to autoinstall this CD (how different from the cleanliness of Linode or Inceptionhosting)
b) To set a rDNS it had to be hand set by an edit.at support clerk (it took 3 days to have their support answer our simple question on how to set a rDNS... they just changed it after that period).
c) It took the same 3 days to be answered on how we could buy an extra IP. We couldn't. We got a terse 'we do not sell additional IPs currently'

Old

Quote:
Part 2

d) Questioned about if we could latter upgrade our KVM VPS package we got as answer 'Yes, but we need to delete the KVM completely since we can not resize the HDD'. Again very inconvenient and quite different from the common practice on several other VPS vendors.

So, as we are European based, we followed the instructions from the Austrian consumer defense org 'Verein für Konsumenteninformation' and sent EDIS.at an email asking for the resolution the contract and the refund of all amounts payed or due in relation with this contract.

Up until now they did not answer our email.
But immediately after we sent that email, they did draw funds from our VISA account, using the VISA card data that we registered with them.

So a word of caution about EDIS.at. Take your time to send them all your questions BEFORE GIVING THEM YOUR CREDIT CARD DATA.
Beware: EDIS.at do not seem to follow the fair deal practices followed by other European (and American) providers.

Old
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Up until now they did not answer our email.
But immediately after we sent that email, they did draw funds from our VISA account, using the VISA card data that we registered with them.
This is NOT correct.
I replied you TWICE, to both of your eMails.

Proof is attached, the date/time on top is the time our ticket system indexed your email - the date/time under it our reply.

Quote:
The last time we charged creditcards was at the 07.03.2012 13:26:12 - nothing after that, i specifically asked our accountant about it.
The timestamp is also in the VISA record export, just look at your bill.
Please don't lie.

William @ EDIS

As a note:
YES, it took 3days to reply the customers ticket - We are sorry for that, but the success of switching over to WHMCS and bulk new orders made it difficult to keep up.
Since RDNS and a question about additional IPs are not really critical the ticket got lower priority.
For INSTANT support in emergencys we have our phonelines open 24/7 (also noted on the website) - Why didn't you just call in if it was so important for you?
I know, this sounds like an excuse but it should not be one - we are working hard, including getting more staff, to get our response time again up.

Quote:
a) for installing the current version of Ubuntu Linux Server. It was necessary to give them Ubuntu's link to the CD image and then to use a clumsy VNC access to autoinstall this CD (how different from the cleanliness of Linode or Inceptionhosting)
b) To set a rDNS it had to be hand set by an edit.at support clerk (it took 3 days to have their support answer our simple question on how to set a rDNS... they just changed it after that period).
1.) Yes, we do not have an actual Ubuntu. 10 is LTS and still well supported, tested under KVM to work and tweaked for our base. This works fine for 99% of the customers, for the 1% we have the ISOs and VNC.
2.) See above, also please stop calling me clerk - This is not a store.
Attached Thumbnails
Bildschirmfoto 2012-03-13 um 15.42.19.png   Bildschirmfoto 2012-03-13 um 15.42.40.png  

Last edited by William-AT; 03-13-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old
Junior Guru

@technichristian nice review. Hopefully you'll update us when you've been at edis more in the future!

@plasticdoc

To be fair I've read your points and as a customer of them and quite a few vps companies past and present I would like to highlight a few things.

# Upgrading KVM HDD is a pain in the ass and requires A LOT of work from personal experience. Linode use XEN which is easy to upgrade. As far as I know, no kvm company offers upgrades.

#RDNS wasn't supported in the main control panel solusvm until recently (if its even their now). I remember last year waiting for a week and even being told that I couldn't set a RDNS even with well known providers.

#IPV4 are running out and providers are being pressured. I think the ticket could of been answered quicker though.

Maybe there's been a bit of a language barrier also involved between two people speaking there non native language?

Hope you work things out; seems like a bit of a communication problem. The chargeback didn't really help things though.

EDIT: William beat me too it!

Last edited by Fiberoute; 03-13-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by William-AT View Post
Please reply to the 2 (TWO) eMails we sent you before
Shady commercial practices indeed.

Regarding your emails. This was taken from the header of the email that we JUST received from you:

Received: from postrelay10.edis.at (postrelay10.edis.at. [85.126.233.183])
by mx.google.com with ESMTP id f3si19572932wiw.40.2012.03.13.07.13.04;
Tue, 13 Mar 2012 07:13:04 -0700 (PDT)
Received-SPF: pass (google.com: best guess record for domain of support@edis.at designates 85.126.233.183 as permitted sender) client-ip=85.126.233.183;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: best guess record for domain of support@edis.at designates 85.126.233.183 as permitted sender) smtp.mail=support@edis.at
Received: from mailrelay.edis.at (postrelay10.edis.at [85.126.233.183])
by postrelay10.edis.at (Postfix) with ESMTPS id E57ACBB0611F
for <EDITED@gmail.com>; Tue, 13 Mar 2012 15:13:03 +0100 (CET)

You see, our email is relayed and time stamped by google mail services. It was sent and arrived at "13 Mar 2012 15:13:03 +0100 (CET)"

In fact you only answered our emails when we first posted our complaint here at webhostingtalk.

Old
Temporarily Suspended

Note:
this time is GMT+1(!) VIENNA - Which is 1 hour AFTER your time.
So when the header says 15:13 it is 14:13 in YOUR TIMEZONE.

Nonetheless, regardless of this email, i already replied to your eMail yesterday - see attached screenshot.

I am also waiting for the Creditcard booking reference number from you so i can proof that we never charged your card.

EDIT: Here is the logfile, all times in GMT+1:
mailrelay:/var/log# date
Die Mär 13 16:24:14 CET 2012

Mar 12 15:22:25 mailrelay courieresmtpd: RCPT TO:<*@*.com> ORCPT=rfc822;*@*.com
Mar 12 15:22:25 mailrelay courierd: started,id=0000000018B6E87F.000000004F5E06A1.00002B95,from=<support@edis.at>,module=esmtp,host=*.com,addr=<*@*.com>
Mar 12 15:22:25 mailrelay courieresmtp: id=0000000018B6E87F.000000004F5E06A1.00002B95,from=<support@edis.at>,addr=<*@*.com>: 250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 91D7CBA52A3B
Mar 12 15:22:25 mailrelay courieresmtp: id=0000000018B6E87F.000000004F5E06A1.00002B95,from=<support@edis.at>,addr=<*@*.com>,size=11515,success: delivered: [85.126.233.183] [85.126.233.183]
Mar 12 15:22:25 mailrelay courieresmtp: id=0000000018B6E87F.000000004F5E06A1.00002B95,from=<support@edis.at>,addr=<*@*.com>,size=11515,status: success
Mar 12 15:22:26 mailrelay postfix/smtp[1811]: 91D7CBA52A3B: to=<*@*.com>, relay=ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.com[173.194.70.26]:25, delay=1.4, delays=0.07/0/0.48/0.84, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 OK 1331562146 s6si15092547wif.13)
Attached Thumbnails
Bildschirmfoto 2012-03-13 um 16.07.14.png  

Last edited by William-AT; 03-13-2012 at 11:24 AM.