Thread: good vps host?

good vps host?

Its been recommended that I get a fully managed VPS for a social network site I am launching in a few months. I have two questions: What kind of "specs" do I need? memory, processor speeds, bandwidth, etc. Second, what is a good host provider? I've run across two that I like, hostgator and myhosting.

The site will have around 1k users registering the first week. Growing fairly rapidly after that (though these things are hard to estimate). Full social networking capabilities such as lots of user content, pictures, messaging, chats, forums, etc.

Any tips would be great!

What sort of budget and preferred location?

Budget is flexible. I had planned around $150 a month, but some guys on this forum mentioned I can get a good VPS host for around $50 and save money for later. How does preferred location matter? I assume if my website is hosted in China, it'll be slower for united states users, but if my site is hosted in Cali and I'm in NY, does it matter that much? I must add that I know nothing about hosting/networking. Also, all of my users will be in US and Canada for now.

With a budget of 50$ a month you would have no trouble finding a good fully managed provider. Most provider offer multiple locations.

I recommend choosing a provider which has a nearby location of where most of your users will be.

I also recommend choosing a provider which has cPanel as a control panel, its a very easy to use control panel which will make things easier for you.

With a managed host you would not need to know about hosting/networking.

Cheers

For the budget that you have and your expectation to have that many members and visitors on the site I will recommend you to get a dedicated server.
    LVPSHosting.com|Virtual Private Servers|Dedicated Servers|
    Managed Hosting Solution|24/7/365 Support
    Datacentar and servers location: Holland, Europe

I'd opt for a dedicated server or a cloud-based VPS. A real one, not some crappy piddly "cloud". For the cloud VPS, look at a host like EuroVPS, MediaTemple or LiquidWeb. Those are all higher-end premium hosts. Your budget of $150 was about right, so kudos on coming up with good numbers. For a dedicated server, you can pick pretty much anybody that is reliable -- lots of dedicated box sellers out there.

Just don't be a cheapskate.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

I would recommend a vps.

Start small and cheap, when you grow and reach 70+ of your resources at peak
    Then you request upgrade vps from your host and increase your resources.

Till you are about using a steady 2-3 cpus and 4+gb ram then you switch to a more dedicated VPS.

Visualization is your friend, backups, transfers, migrations are so much better.

Even if you rent a dedicated server, install linux kvm and run a FAT VM. (or a few VMS - Load Balance) ect...

There is always cloud well, but we all know how that is... over loaded / laggy a lot of the time.
    Jon Fatino

Quote Originally Posted by noobstartup View Post
    Budget is flexible. I had planned around $150 a month, but some guys on this forum mentioned I can get a good VPS host for around $50 and save money for later. How does preferred location matter? I assume if my website is hosted in China, it'll be slower for united states users, but if my site is hosted in Cali and I'm in NY, does it matter that much? I must add that I know nothing about hosting/networking. Also, all of my users will be in US and Canada for now.
    Definitely there are geographical impact to your target end user if you hosted somewhere further due to routing issue. The best you get yourself and your end user or the audience US based VPS to enjoy faster respond from your website.
    ControlVM.com :: Elastic Cloud Hosting Alternatives to VPS Reliable Cloud Server
    Enterprise Hosting @
    Malaysia ● Germany ● USA ● Singapore
    We Accept: Paypal
    Alipay GrabPay Credit/Debit Card FPX Bank Transfer Bank TT

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    I'd opt for a dedicated server or a cloud-based VPS.
    what would be the critical element to determine the choice between dedicated server or VPS in your mind? i'm evaluating the same like the OP. other replies seem to choose one way or the other.

personally i'm also concerned about exit strategy, meaning which one is easiest to walk away from if unhappy and/or need to go a different direction. my fear is transitioning away from a hosted VPS is more difficult? don't mean to hijack but maybe helpful follow up question for the OP too

I wouldn't mind going with a dedicated server or cloud-based VPS, however, I want to keep two things in mind. One is that I do not want to maintain anything as I do not have the knowledge nor resources at the moment. I simply want to hand over the code for the site and have a running website. They can worry about getting optimal performance, security, upgrades, etc. From my understanding, a fully managed VPS will give me exactly that (if I am mistaken, please let me know!).

Second, in thinking about the future, I do want to look at scalability. I'm sure a cloud-based VPS allows easy upgrades with no downtime, however, is the same true for a dedicated server?

Also, if I do happen to go with a fully managed VPS, does it matter if I choose linux or windows? I simply know nothing about linux.

Quote Originally Posted by bspinner View Post
    what would be the critical element
    There are many, but budget would be a primary factor between dedicated and premium cloud.
    Cloud pricing can very.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||