Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Stay away from VPSLAND

I started with a basic Linux VPS about a year ago. Everything was great they set everything up very quickly. I ended up barely using the box so never really came across an issue.

Fast forward a month ago I was finally going to start hosting a website I have been working on. 2 days before launching I tried ssh and I suddenly could not ssh, ping was also not working .. so I contacted support took them a full day by full day I mean 24 hours to fix the issue. That I would say is pretty bad. But whatever I was happy the site was fixed. I was definitely wrong about that. The same problem happen again .. At that point I decided I need to move on. I have 1 unanswered support ticket. And its been about 3 weeks now and the server is still down.

I have just opened a ticket to cancel my membership lets hope that doesnt take another month.

Anyways good luck to everyone! Unrelated to the rant on VPSLAND, I ended up going with Amazon Cloud Services, I was able to set myself up & running in about 5 hours. Probably would have been much faster if I was used to there system.

3 weeks down, is not good.

Good luck with your new provider.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

I just started a thread of being ripped off by a vps host.

There is a army of vps scams probably run by one large host.

It's worst than the hood up in here

I am sorry to hear about your situation. I wish you the best of luck with your new provider
    | Conor C. - Server Latch

Selecting a big company like Amazon is a no guarantee that you would not have trouble. Back in April 2011, Amazon's EC2 Cloud services Crashed. It is widely reported that some customers lost their data and some high profile sites were down from hrs to days.

A large cloud can be managed with a small team due to automation built into it. It can acquire. However, when something fails in such a complex scenario, all hell broke loose.

I think what is more important is a strong technical team, attentive customer service and their capacity to serve when help is needed.
    Atul Kumar, CEO/Founder - JodoHost.com
    ASP.NET, SQLServer 2012, Plesk, H-Sphere & more!
    Windows 2008, CentOS6, VPS Hosting in the cloud!
    Thousands of Satisifed Customers! Be one of them

My Experience With VPSLand

VPSLand are a dangerous company. They have a slick website, competitive-prices and alright control panel, but that's where it all ends.

Their outsourced support is virtually 0. I had to do everything myself including telling them the DNS and RDNS record structure because they didn't know how to do it.

Their billing system is not correctly connected with their services system. Despite over 5 support tickets over 5 months they continued to charge me for a service I did not order and that I did not receive. Each time they apologized and "refunded the charges" (just credited my account) but continued to charge me the following month. No one seemed to know anything, or could fix anything. Just amazing.

My bad experiences with VPSLand all culminated in my most horrendous experience with a host ever. One morning in April 2012 I woke up to find all my VPS hosted services were down (websites, mail server, product activation service). The VPS was switched off and would not turn on. I opened a ticket and after 24 hours I got the below response:

VPSLand Support Staff wrote on April 4, 2012

"Hello,

The node on which your VPS is present has a SAN RAID controller failure. The immediate solution would be to migrate to a more stable node. Please note that, in this process the IP address of your old VPS will changed and all the data on your old VPS will be wiped off. You will have to re-upload your data on your VPS.

We could not recover the backup due the RAID controller failure but if you have taken the backup from the client area then please let us know so that we will try to recover the backup. As compensation we will provide you with a free month of service.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Your response is awaited on this.

Thank you,

Patrick
    Senior Support Engineer"

As usual, they ask for to response but close the ticket thus preventing a response. I had to open a new ticket which referred to the old ticket and responded with:

"Your claims contradict the specifications of the product you have sold me.

I purchased Xen Cloud Server VPS hosting, which according to our agreement has:

1. Fully Redundany RAID 10 SAN Storage

This means my data should still be on the RAID mirror disks.

2. Self-Healing

This means the mirror data should replace the faulty data automatically.

3. 99.9% up-time Guarantee

This means a lawfully-binding downtime of max 8 hours a year (it's been over 36 hours at the time of this writing).

What you have stated to me is completely unaccetapable. A "node failure" is an insufficient condition to destroy my data as a cloud-hosted VPS has data/server separated over various nodes. Also, the RAID 10 mirror disks on each node should allow you to recover the data for each node.

Your explanation is obviously inconsistent with the product specs you have charged me for.

I have hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of customer data (customer names, mailing lists, purchased license keys) on that server which I simply cannot afford to lose. I also have my mail server on there which contains all my support, sales and internal emails. All this data is necessary for me to run my software business.

I have purchased your products on the basis of redundancy and reliability, yet your claim that a single node failure destroyed my data is inconsistent with your product specs.

I DO NOT CONSENT TO YOU UNLAWFULLY REMOVING MY DATA.

I hereby request you recover my data from the RAID 10 mirror disks and restore my VPS within 24 hours.

Failure to do so will result in legal action from my DC-based lawyer. I will be seeking recovery of damages and losses incurred to my business and complete refund of all hosting charges (as your product did not match your advertised and agreed to specs).

Please sir, I do not play games and I intend to carry out the aforementioned.

Regards,
    NAME REMOVED"

More research on VPSLand reveals they have a common modus-operandi of simply wiping customers data for no good reason. Hardware failures happen, but redundancy should allow recovery (especially RAID 10 and especially in a cloud). Not for VPSLand.

VPSLand are a dangerous company who's customers regularly appear to wake up one morning with their servers wiped clean (and for no good reason). VPSLand = Proceed at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by bakayarou View Post
    . . . Amazon Cloud Services, I was able to set myself up & running in about 5 hours . . .
    You won't be disappointed with them
    © www.hostinginside.com AS9678 √
    © Taiwan Colocation and Dedicated Server
    © Taiwan, Singapore, US, UK & Germany KVM Based VPS with RAID 10

Quote Originally Posted by VPSLand Scam View Post

I have hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of customer data (customer names, mailing lists, purchased license keys) on that server which I simply cannot afford to lose. I also have my mail server on there which contains all my support, sales and internal emails. All this data is necessary for me to run my software business.

I have purchased your products on the basis of redundancy and reliability, yet your claim that a single node failure destroyed my data is inconsistent with your product specs.
    If this is true that you have hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of of customer data on this cloud VPS, I'm sure you also keep regular offsite backups - right?
    Cloudstra - Join the cloud revolution!
    Provider of SSD powered Clouds! Visit our Facebook page for discounts!
    Full redundancy | Auto-failover | Enterprise Hardware | Instant scalability
    8 Cloud locations: Dallas, Chicago, Los Angeles, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, London, Sydney & Singapore

Lately we read a lot of negative post about host.
    We shall wait respond from them to understand the real situation.
    ControlVM.com :: Elastic Cloud Hosting Alternatives to VPS Reliable Cloud Server
    Enterprise Hosting @
    Malaysia ● Germany ● USA ● Singapore
    We Accept: Paypal
    Alipay GrabPay Credit/Debit Card FPX Bank Transfer Bank TT

vpsland is outsource support? are you serious? they operate and own their own DC.

i never had issues with vpsland billing.

their support is kinda slow, to get things done you will have to get "patrick"

Quote Originally Posted by CokeSir View Post
    vpsland is outsource support? are you serious? they operate and own their own DC.
    No they don't.

They use GNAX and were on GNAX IP space for quite some time (maybe still are). I sent them abuse complaints and they never got addressed, they simply kept 'sending it to another manager' until it simply auto closed.

Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaAnime View Post
    No they don't.

They use GNAX and were on GNAX IP space for quite some time (maybe still are). I sent them abuse complaints and they never got addressed, they simply kept 'sending it to another manager' until it simply auto closed.

Francisco
    You sent abuse complaints to where?
    Respectfully,
    Mr. Terrence

Quote Originally Posted by THAMAN View Post
    You sent abuse complaints to where?
    To vpsland since the ip's were swipped in their name

This was ages ago, literally years ago

I still hear complaints about them on IRC every few months though.

Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

Latest victim of VPSland is me. I just made payment - got reply of IP & others - and everything goes down. Even their website too. I'll wait for a day - then will complain to Paypal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rack_server View Post
    Latest victim of VPSland is me. I just made payment - got reply of IP & others - and everything goes down. Even their website too. I'll wait for a day - then will complain to Paypal.
    Did you try and open a ticket with them? https://portal.vpsland.com/

I believe I should make a dedicated website for these runaway hosts.

Quote Originally Posted by darknessends View Post
    I don't think they are going anywhere, customer really need to work with there providers and stop looking for support on WHT.

Quote Originally Posted by darknessends View Post
    Sound good

Quote Originally Posted by GNAX - Terrence
    I don't think they are going anywhere, customer really need to work with there providers and stop looking for support on WHT.
    Most of the time they are.

I'm sharing my experience -

I've ordered one - got all automated email, and after around 12 hours got all access credentials. And then begun,

The IP they gave is unable to ping, unable to connect through RDP, and the IP is truly offline.

After sometime, I found their website also gone offline.

After around 2 hours, I found a recent post twitter from VPSLand - offering cheap VPS, where I replied to check their website to restore.

After 2 days, they reply my email for "IP offline" and saying that IP & Connect are alright and ready to go. But they are not.

Its 4th day, I'm able to login with Remote Desktop, and start checking - bandwidth, RAM etc, got sudden disconnection and pinging reply from that IP is saying " Destination host Unreachable ".

Then I claim to Paypal as been counterfeited, and finally today got my money back.

Thanks - Paypal.

They offer really high prices, $12.49/month for 512MB of RAM? This is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev3rse_ View Post
    They offer really high prices, $12.49/month for 512MB of RAM? This is ridiculous.
    That's expensive?

Hosts should be charging $15+ month easily if they want to have staff on hand that actually get paid. At even $12.49 a month hosts are generally going to be overselling or have limited staff on hand.

Or my sarcasm radar isn't working.

It's unfortunate to see the negative reviews though. They have certainly had a lot of growth and seem to have done well for themselves but I've not seen too many reviews that are anything but negative. Could just be happy customers keeping quiet.
    Last edited by techjr; 07-12-2012 at 09:25 PM.

Are you serious? I always thought VPSLand was a professional company based on their awesome template.
    NitroRack - We're the CPanel gods

Quote Originally Posted by Rev3rse_ View Post
    If you call that expensive, I wonder what you would call liquidweb, linode and the others.

Isnt that the Media Temple image of a server on their page?
    hostingcove.com | Tennessee Based Hosting Provider.
    cPanel Shared & Reseller Hosting - Domain Names
    Join thousands of happy customers. Secure & Stable
    HeroicVPS Premium KVM VPS. Ashburn / Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by HC-Ro View Post
    Isnt that the Media Temple image of a server on their page?
    They both have the flame in the back with the window on the side showing into the server.

Not identical but likely heavily inspired. Or, there are simply so many server designs out there while servers all pretty much look the same, some are bound to be similar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast