Should I Consolidate to a VPS?

I have a client with a Joomla site on a Bluehost.com shared account. The site is serving fewer than 10,000 pages per day. There are two subdomains serving fewer than 50 pages per day.

There are two other sites on separate shared hosting accounts serving fewer than 1,000 pages each per day that might be moved too.

The main site also has a newsletter mailing list with fewer than 15,000 subscribers. It is currently handled by iContact. Those newsletters are emailed once per month and can be distributed over several days.

Does this combination sound like a candidate for a managed virtual private server? Should the email newsletter service use an extension inside the Joomla content management system or software running independently on the VPS?

What's your budget? It's important that you get the right resources with the vps else you risk to have worst performances than with shared hosting.
    Prometeus.com & iperweb.com Hosting Solutions since 1997
    We are LIR (RIPE NCC member) and do BGP with ASN 34971 Multiple gigabit/s network capacity
    iwStack.com IaaS Cloud services

I'd recommend going with a powerful VPS this is with future growth in mind.

Like been said what is your budget? what control panel are currently using?

cPanel? Plesk? directadmin?

Thank you,

Yes, it does. I'd moved to a managed cPanel VPS.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

If your newsletter purely for subscriber, it can be consolidate under one roof.
    But, in my opinion maintain your mailing list to iContact to avoid yourself get into spamming claim.
    ControlVM.com :: Elastic Cloud Hosting Alternatives to VPS Reliable Cloud Server
    Enterprise Hosting @
    Malaysia ● Germany ● USA ● Singapore
    We Accept: Paypal
    Alipay GrabPay Credit/Debit Card FPX Bank Transfer Bank TT

A VPS company that has different packages so that you can upgrade if needed
    Internet Brothers Asia*SEOUL South Korea Since 1999
    http://www.internetbrothers.co.kr Business Registration 134-11-18207
    ▇ ASIA KOREA Web Hosting with English Support focusing on International clients in/out of Korea
    KVM,VMware, XEN VPS, shared hosting , Dedicated Servers physically located in South Korea

I would suggest upgrading to a VPS because then you have the chance to grow and also; they aren't that much more expensive anymore

I would recommend HostDime for you as they are fully managed and will help you as much as you need it and also includes free cPanel
    | Conor C. - Server Latch

To answer your questions:
    Budget? In the area of US$200 per year.
    Control panel? cPanel

Quote Originally Posted by CH Hosting View Post
    But, in my opinion maintain your mailing list to iContact to avoid yourself get into spamming claim.
    I agree with this. Using an ESP for your mailings will offload responsibilities related to mailing, like IP reputation, deliverability, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by cmbr View Post
    To answer your questions:
    Budget? In the area of US$200 per year.
    Control panel? cPanel
    If you want some degree of quality then you'll have to dig deeper.

The iContact Problem

Quote Originally Posted by CH Hosting View Post
    If your newsletter purely for subscriber, it can be consolidate under one roof.
    My wish to move the email newsletter list away from iContact is a result of their failures. Rather than bring the list management in house, though, it would be better to stay with a list management service, just not iContact.

To give you but one example, consider the case in which a potential subscriber applies for a subscription to a list hosted by iContact. His email address is of the form my.name@domain.com. iContact sends them an email requesting confirmation. He clicks on the link in the message. That brings up a page on his browser with the message:
    "We're Sorry...
    "It looks like we discovered an error in your new subscription request.
    "Please go back to try again. Double check that you have entered a valid and complete email address."

When you ask iContact support about the problem, they reply, in essence, use a different email address. Apparently they have no programmers that can fix the failure. The dot in the email address is admittedly rare but I wonder how many potential subscribers my client has lost because of it.