Please suggest virtualization platform

I have used & managed many VPS & dedis and now I need multiple small VPSes for different durations, so I am thinking of getting a good dedi for VPS node and deploy VPS myself. I am looking for an open source or free solution. The host and guests will be using *nix based OSes, but may have different flavors/version. For the guest I will need 64-bit CentOS, Ubuntu and OpenSUSE. I am thinking of deploying 64-bit CentOS as host, but I can change to any other flavor to get better performance.

The guests will be running CPU heavy application, so I need a solution which provide better CPU virtualization and have little CPU/memory usage.

For the dedi I am thinking of using i7-2600 (hetzner EX4) or e3-1245(hetzner EX6). I also need to know if hetzner allows making VPS on their dedis

Hetzner E3-1245 is good in my opinion. We also have node build from EX6, the performance is just nice. But of course if you use for VPS hosting, you may need at lease RAID10 to maintain the performance.

Xen I believed still the most famous platform compare to others as it is in this industry long and stable enough in production environment. With xen, you can run most of the nix OS as well as Windows.
    ControlVM.com :: Elastic Cloud Hosting Alternatives to VPS Reliable Cloud Server
    Enterprise Hosting @
    Malaysia ● Germany ● USA ● Singapore
    We Accept: Paypal
    Alipay GrabPay Credit/Debit Card FPX Bank Transfer Bank TT

Quote Originally Posted by fqaisrani View Post
    The guests will be running CPU heavy application, so I need a solution which provide better CPU virtualization and have little CPU/memory usage.
    OpenVZ containers.
    ~ @PreetamJinka

Free is hypervm and it support xen and openvz. But there is no support for hypervm anymore.

+1 for openvz if you need light overhead. It use contest separation.
    Xen or kvm are both good if you need full virtualization.
    Prometeus.com & iperweb.com Hosting Solutions since 1997
    We are LIR (RIPE NCC member) and do BGP with ASN 34971 Multiple gigabit/s network capacity
    iwStack.com IaaS Cloud services