Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

VPS Backup Method

Hi.

I was wondering what are the methods you guys used to backup your vps and how regular? I planned to backup my vps twice daily, what is a good way doing about this?

Thinking along this line;

VPS -> Backup server twice daily -> PC nightly

Also, I came across backomatic.com, anyone uses their service? Any feedback?

I've used Webbycart for two years.....they're excellent!

I was wondering what are the methods you guys used to backup your vps and how regular?
    via rsync, the mysql data at least 4 time per day, as for files twice per day

I planned to backup my vps twice daily, what is a good way doing about this?
    again, the easy way via ssh commands.
    Explore our outstanding VPS choices tailored to your budget, and we welcome reasonable offers.
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN HVM VPS
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

Quote Originally Posted by zanzan View Post
    Hi.

I was wondering what are the methods you guys used to backup your vps and how regular? I planned to backup my vps twice daily, what is a good way doing about this?
    rsync is good. I've heard great things about Bacula as well.

Haven't used them, but I suggest Secure Dragon's backup VPSs.
    ~ @PreetamJinka

I have 3 VPS accounts, and use an extensive backup strategy that most people would find overkill. But the peace of mind is worth the small amount of time it takes to maintain the backups.

The MySQL databases are rsynced every 4 hours to my home PC. Site code (all in Subversion repositories), once a day.

For server backups:

I use my provider's free VPS backup service (through vePortal) daily. These backups are stored on a different server than my VPS host nodes.

I download these backups to my home PC daily.

I upload these backups daily to 3 separate online storage sites (free, because at the moment I need less than 2 GB for the backups, and most places offer 2 GB of storage at no cost).

Once a week (every Sunday) I download backups to an external hard drive at my girlfriend's apartment.

Twice a month (every other Thursday) I download backups to an external hard drive at my parent's house.

So at all times I have 7 backups stored on 7 different servers/PC's/external hard drives in 7 different geographical locations, 6 of those being a different geographical location than the live site. 5 of those backups are no more than 24 hours old.

All this only takes a few minutes each day.
    Last edited by VectorVPS; 02-11-2012 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhichGunDotCom View Post
    5 of those backups are no more than 24 hours old.
    It has happened many times to us, that a client needs an older than the daily backup.
    NetDynamics LLC - One-stop Solution for Hosting Needs
    We love Backups! Backup storage for your server backups

@XTremo, from what I understand from their website, their backup service uses rsync technology too. Am I right?

@alex-developer, you rsync the files to where? Anywhere I could read more on how to setup rsync service?

@Bitcable, i would take a look at both. Thanks!

@WhichGunDotCom, wow. Thats sure is overkill. What are the few online storage service you used?

@alex-developer, you rsync the files to where? Anywhere I could read more on how to setup rsync service?
    the rsync is not the commercial service, it's the ssh command, which allow to synchronise the files from one server to another (the same can be done folder to folder)

How to use the rsync you will find at URL:
    http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-...rectories.html
    and if you wish use cron and without passwords, the tutorial available at URL:
    https://blogs.oracle.com/jkini/entry/how_to_scp_scp_and
    Explore our outstanding VPS choices tailored to your budget, and we welcome reasonable offers.
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

Try rsync, ssh command as alex-developer said.

@XTremo, from what I understand from their website, their backup service uses rsync technology too. Am I right?
    That's correct.....and their system works well.

Quote Originally Posted by alex-developer View Post
    the rsync is not the commercial service, it's the ssh command, which allow to synchronise the files from one server to another (the same can be done folder to folder)

How to use the rsync you will find at URL:
    http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-...rectories.html
    and if you wish use cron and without passwords, the tutorial available at URL:
    https://blogs.oracle.com/jkini/entry/how_to_scp_scp_and
    I also wanted to know about this method, thanks for the given links

Quote Originally Posted by CloudHosting View Post
    I also wanted to know about this method, thanks for the given links
    the backup solution can be setup sort of way:
    1) backup customer data into zip/tar file (you can generate every time a new file name based on time, if you wish hold the backup data for more than 24 hours)
    2) rsync to backup server using cron

the backup solution can be setup sort of way:
    1) backup customer data into zip/tar file (you can generate every time a new file name based on time, if you wish hold the backup data for more than 24 hours)
    2) rsync to backup server using cron
    Thanks for the info. Is there any automated way of generating backups into zip/tar file? It should run once per day.

I use Linodes backup service. I make an attempt to save "critical" databases and such to my local computer. Honestly I should set something up to get my backups out of the Linode facility.

If you want to encrypt your backups then your best bet is probably duplicity. If not then just use rsync as other people have said. Both are incredibly simple and do the job perfectly.

I've never used Backomatic but I have used BQBackup in the past and they were brilliant!

This is what i like with Wiredtree Hybrid VPS, they provide R1soft backup 5 days retention while I still have daily backup with webbycart.

@WhichGunDotCom, wow. Thats sure is overkill. What are the few online storage service you used?
    I use Dropbox, Mozy, and Wuala as the 3 free online storage/backup services.

I don't think it's overkill, but I understand why many people do. But some parts are automated, and it only takes about 10 minutes of active time per day to complete everything.

I've tested myself multiple times in a worst-case scenario, having both of my production VPS accounts completely erased. Starting from a fresh OS reinstall, I can get everything set up, installed, all data restored, with all sites 100% back up and running in well under an hour.

The peace of mind knowing that I will have a very recent backup of all data available (unless there is a major regional/national disaster, in which case there would be more important things to worry about), is well worth 10 minutes each day of my time.
    Last edited by VectorVPS; 02-13-2012 at 03:52 AM.

Is there any automated way of generating backups into zip/tar file?
    some ssh commands:
    tar -zcvf prog-1-jan-2005.tar.gz /home/my/full/path/to/directory
    zip -r filename.zip directory_to_zip_recursively
    more info:
    http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/how-ca...der-linux.html

Backomatic.com worked excellent for me, however as it backups each CPanel account one by one, you need to make sure that each of your customers accounts have enough available disk space.

It that is not the case, it will not backup work.

Hi.

Thinking along this line;

VPS -> Backup server twice daily -> PC nightly

I use Dropbox, Mozy, and Wuala as the 3 free online storage/backup services.
    the Dropbox is unsecured service to store backups dsata according to the reviews, which I have seen on internet:
    http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/read/...secured/019719
    http://myteentechblog.blogspot.com/2...cured-for.html
    http://news.onlinecomputertips.com/2...vice-left.html
    (I know it was in past, but who guarantee that it's not repeats again)

Quote Originally Posted by WhichGunDotCom View Post
    I have 3 VPS accounts, and use an extensive backup strategy that most people would find overkill. But the peace of mind is worth the small amount of time it takes to maintain the backups.

The MySQL databases are rsynced every 4 hours to my home PC. Site code (all in Subversion repositories), once a day.

For server backups:

I use my provider's free VPS backup service (through vePortal) daily. These backups are stored on a different server than my VPS host nodes.

I download these backups to my home PC daily.

I upload these backups daily to 3 separate online storage sites (free, because at the moment I need less than 2 GB for the backups, and most places offer 2 GB of storage at no cost).

Once a week (every Sunday) I download backups to an external hard drive at my girlfriend's apartment.

Twice a month (every other Thursday) I download backups to an external hard drive at my parent's house.

So at all times I have 7 backups stored on 7 different servers/PC's/external hard drives in 7 different geographical locations, 6 of those being a different geographical location than the live site. 5 of those backups are no more than 24 hours old.

All this only takes a few minutes each day.
    Amazing. You will lose nothing in case of any bad incident. However, can you tell me the free storage website where you store data??
    HostinPK.com
    [US/UK] Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting
    cPanel/CWP | Softaculous | WHMCS | Dedicated IP | SSL
    We accept PayPal, 2checkout, Credit Cards, and Bank payments

I use rsnapshot to download backups onto my home PC. Rsnapshot is a collection of perl scripts that use rsync to maintain incremental backups. I have backups going back 3 months using rsnapshot.

Quote Originally Posted by jamshed_11946 View Post
    Amazing. You will lose nothing in case of any bad incident. However, can you tell me the free storage website where you store data??
    I use Dropbox, Mozy, and Wuala as the 3 free online storage/backup services. All give 2 GB of storage at no cost. There are other ones out there as well. I use more than one for redundancy, since I'm could never put complete confidence in 1 of them alone if I'm not paying them anything.

the Dropbox is unsecured service to store backups dsata according to the reviews, which I have seen on internet:
    http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/read/...secured/019719
    http://myteentechblog.blogspot.com/2...cured-for.html
    http://news.onlinecomputertips.com/2...vice-left.html
    (I know it was in past, but who guarantee that it's not repeats again)
    It's a calculated risk with any backup/storage service. People make mistakes and things like that happen.

In my case, there isn't any particularly sensitive data. The code for the site is all mine (running on top of the CakePHP framework), but it's also nothing special. The data for my site took a lot of my own time to compile, and its redundant availability is much more important than its security.

Whether or not you decide to use services like this is a decision you must make on your own. Each situation is different.

My VPS is with Liquid Web, and I use their daily backup service which and keep a daily backup for each of the previous 7 days. I also create a server image on a weekly basis.

In addition to this, I also use Backup Teddy for remote backups on a daily basis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast