Looking for a performance VPS server.

Been with Unixy for few months and my current setup just isn't working.
    First of all, Unixy has been very helpful, one of the best hosts I've ever used and I have nothing bad to say about them, they worked me, they did everything they could, but things aren't working for me with my current setup.

Server cpu usage spikes over 1% for several minutes and sometimes it peaks to 4-5%.
    These spikes sometimes last for a good while. (yesterday lasted about 40 minutes)

I am looking for a screaming fast VPS server that can handle a vBulletin forum with vBSEO (Major resource hog) + xcache + varnish cache + litespeed.

I wouldn't be running more than 1 site (maybe a test site).

I require a fully managed web host that is also willing to install 3rd party plugins and best effort third party plugins support.

I don't mind paying the price if I have to as long as I get an A grade server that can perform well.

I need a server located in the west coast. (preferably San Jose/LA)

I don't want an out of box optimized server, I want a server that is customized to my setup.
    Out of box pre-configurations most of the times don't work for everyone that seeks performance from their web hosts.

Anyone want to put me to the right direction?

Have you checked out Linode? We run our webserver on their 512MB VPS and it runs great. We've had over 250 days of uptime as well.

RapidKVM is also another great company I used a few years ago.
    https://allgamer.net Email me: Clinton@allgamer.net
    High Performance Game Servers

what is your current VPS spec?
    ControlVM.com :: Elastic Cloud Hosting Alternatives to VPS Reliable Cloud Server
    Enterprise Hosting @
    Malaysia ● Germany ● USA ● Singapore
    We Accept: Paypal
    Alipay GrabPay Credit/Debit Card FPX Bank Transfer Bank TT

2GB Ram, Dual Xeon 2.4Ghz.
    500GB BW
    50GB HDD

On what virt platform?
    ControlVM.com :: Elastic Cloud Hosting Alternatives to VPS Reliable Cloud Server
    Enterprise Hosting @
    Malaysia ● Germany ● USA ● Singapore
    We Accept: Paypal
    Alipay GrabPay Credit/Debit Card FPX Bank Transfer Bank TT

They run OpenVZ.

Quote Originally Posted by IcEWoLF View Post
    Server cpu usage spikes over 1% for several minutes and sometimes it peaks to 4-5%.
    These spikes sometimes last for a good while. (yesterday lasted about 40 minutes)
    1% CPU usage is a spike???

Quote Originally Posted by WhichGunDotCom View Post
    1% CPU usage is a spike???
    Right...I guess he wants something that uses no CPU. Good luck with that.

When CPU spike occurs they last for a while and the whole site slows down.

what's your db size ? No. of online users per day/hour ?

1% spike isn't high at all by any means. I would say anything over 2 or around 2.5 to be alright as well for an vB forum.
    If u really want the loads to be under 1, go for a dedicated server, vps will not suit you.

Been with Unixy for few months and my current setup just isn't working.
    First of all, Unixy has been very helpful, one of the best hosts I've ever used and I have nothing bad to say about them, they worked me, they did everything they could, but things aren't working for me with my current setup.

I am looking for a screaming fast VPS server that can handle a vBulletin forum with vBSEO (Major resource hog) + xcache + varnish cache + litespeed.

I wouldn't be running more than 1 site (maybe a test site).

I require a fully managed web host that is also willing to install 3rd party plugins and best effort third party plugins support.

I don't mind paying the price if I have to as long as I get an A grade server that can perform well.

I need a server located in the west coast. (preferably San Jose/LA)

I don't want an out of box optimized server, I want a server that is customized to my setup.
    Out of box pre-configurations most of the times don't work for everyone that seeks performance from their web hosts.

Anyone want to put me to the right direction?
    Really surprised Joe/Unixy not able to pin point the problem ? You should really get to the bottom of where the bottleneck is first before VPS hopping.

But do you mean 100% cpu spikes and 400-500% cpu usage as in cpu loads of 1.0-5.0 not 1% and 4-5% as in 0.01 - 0.05?

Today's my day off from vB official support work. If you want a better idea of what's going on within your server, go to vBulletin.com support forum's server configuration forum and find mysqlmymonlite.sh sticky thread. Download the zip file, extract it and read the readme.txt file on how to use it. Grab WHM version of mysqlmymonlite.sh and run it on your server via ssh2 and save output to text file for viewing or posting ouput from within text on forums within [CODE][/CODE] tags. Readme.txt file has examples of setting up the script as cronjob too so you can grab stats every hour or around the time you get those cpu spikes and have stats emailed to you or saved to timestamped log files.

mysqlmymonlite.sh outputted server stats will help you and others trying to help you understand the nature and usage environment of your server loads as best as it can without sharing any sensitive info.

HTH
    : CentminMod.com Nginx Installer Nginx 1.25, PHP-FPM, MariaDB 10 CentOS (AlmaLinux/Rocky testing)
    : Centmin Mod Latest Beta Nginx HTTP/2 HTTPS & HTTP/3 QUIC HTTPS supports TLS 1.3 via OpenSSL 1.1.1/3.0/3.1 or BoringSSL or QuicTLS OpenSSL
    : Nginx & PHP-FPM Benchmarks: Centmin Mod vs EasyEngine vs Webinoly vs VestaCP vs OneInStack

Quote Originally Posted by eva2000 View Post
    Really surprised Joe/Unixy not able to pin point the problem ?
    The root cause has already been identified and a solution proposed. I can't get too much into the details here but let's put it this way, the first round was on the house.

We're very accommodating to all clients and go above and beyond with complimentary goodies. I could go on and on about how much systems work / coding / programming we do for our clients to their benefit (I don't know of *any* managed provider who does this at no cost to the client). We're happy to be of help and it'll remain this way. But there's a business we have to run.

Feel free to email me or PM me if you have any question / comment or need anything.

Regards
    Joe / UNIXY
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    Server Management - Unlimited Servers. Unlimited Requests. One Plan!
    cPanel Varnish Plugin -- Seamless SSL Caching (Let's Encrypt, AutoSSL, etc)
    Slow Site or Server? Unable to handle traffic? Same day performance fix: joe@unixy

Really surprised Joe/Unixy not able to pin point the problem ? You should really get to the bottom of where the bottleneck is first before VPS hopping.

But do you mean 100% cpu spikes and 400-500% cpu usage as in cpu loads of 1.0-5.0 not 1% and 4-5% as in 0.01 - 0.05?

Today's my day off from vB official support work. If you want a better idea of what's going on within your server, go to vBulletin.com support forum's server configuration forum and find mysqlmymonlite.sh sticky thread. Download the zip file, extract it and read the readme.txt file on how to use it. Grab WHM version of mysqlmymonlite.sh and run it on your server via ssh2 and save output to text file for viewing or posting ouput from within text on forums within [CODE][/CODE] tags. Readme.txt file has examples of setting up the script as cronjob too so you can grab stats every hour or around the time you get those cpu spikes and have stats emailed to you or saved to timestamped log files.

mysqlmymonlite.sh outputted server stats will help you and others trying to help you understand the nature and usage environment of your server loads as best as it can without sharing any sensitive info.

HTH
    Will do, thank you George!

Quote Originally Posted by UNIXy View Post
    The root cause has already been identified and a solution proposed. I can't get too much into the details here but let's put it this way, the first round was on the house.

We're very accommodating to all clients and go above and beyond with complimentary goodies. I could go on and on about how much systems work / coding / programming we do for our clients to their benefit (I don't know of *any* managed provider who does this at no cost to the client). We're happy to be of help and it'll remain this way. But there's a business we have to run.

Feel free to email me or PM me if you have any question / comment or need anything.

Regards
    Joe / UNIXY
    Joe, I wasn't saying anything bad about you guys, I think you guys are one of the best managed hosts out there, especially all the things you guys do for your clients, and I certainly do appreciate you guys going the extra mile for me and giving me a free upgrade to my current setup.

I am not here to point fingers at anyone, as mentioned on my original post my current setup is just not working.

If I move everything to InnoDB then problems will start with over memory usage which we resolved that issue.

The solution is to remove the several caching layers.

I only run Varnish & xcache for caching, I am not using anything else besides Litespeed replacing Apache.

I have vBulletin using xcache, and I have vBoptimise using Xcache.

I'll do my part with vBulletin on the vB forums and see if there is anything else we can do from the other end.

If things don't work out I'll have to try another host.

I am very reluctant moving hosts because I like Unixy.

Again, this thread is not about Unixy or their company, it's about my current setup causing problems.

Joe, I wasn't saying anything bad about you guys, I think you guys are one of the best managed hosts out there, especially all the things you guys do for your clients, and I certainly do appreciate you guys going the extra mile for me and giving me a free upgrade to my current setup.

I am not here to point fingers at anyone, as mentioned on my original post my current setup is just not working.

If I move everything to InnoDB then problems will start with over memory usage which we resolved that issue.
    Thanks for clarifying. Have you considered increasing memory to convert to InnoDB?

Regards
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    Server Management - Unlimited Servers. Unlimited Requests. One Plan!
    cPanel Varnish Plugin -- Seamless SSL Caching (Let's Encrypt, AutoSSL, etc)
    Slow Site or Server? Unable to handle traffic? Same day performance fix: joe@unixy

web host that is also willing to install 3rd party plugins and best effort third party plugins support.
    I haven't seen any VPS/Web Hosts which will support 3rd party application and do the tech support for it.
    Explore our outstanding VPS choices tailored to your budget, and we welcome reasonable offers.
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN HVM VPS
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

Quote Originally Posted by UNIXy View Post
    The root cause has already been identified and a solution proposed.
    Ah i see, thought the issue wasn't known. Thanks for clarification.

Will do, thank you George!
    I'd re-download latest zip from sticky thread WHM mysqlmymonlite.sh v0.3.1. You're still using old v0.2.5. New version besides nginx and apache stats gathering if detected, also grabs Litespeed stats if Litespeed is detected

Quick look at your thread/stats provided, your mysql buffers are set way too high = increased memory usage and you're wasting memory on Xcache due to the Litespeed LSAPI PHP configuration you're using. I'll check in on support forums tomorrow when you have v0.3.1 stats output available, off to bed now

I don't see the need to move servers from Unixy - there's room for better optimisations.
    Last edited by eva2000; 02-12-2012 at 01:47 PM.
    : CentminMod.com Nginx Installer Nginx 1.25, PHP-FPM, MariaDB 10 CentOS (AlmaLinux/Rocky testing)
    : Centmin Mod Latest Beta Nginx HTTP/2 HTTPS & HTTP/3 QUIC HTTPS supports TLS 1.3 via OpenSSL 1.1.1/3.0/3.1 or BoringSSL or QuicTLS OpenSSL
    : Nginx & PHP-FPM Benchmarks: Centmin Mod vs EasyEngine vs Webinoly vs VestaCP vs OneInStack

Ah i see, thought the issue wasn't known. Thanks for clarification.

I'd re-download latest zip from sticky thread WHM mysqlmymonlite.sh v0.3.1. You're still using old v0.2.5. New version besides nginx and apache stats gathering if detected, also grabs Litespeed stats if Litespeed is detected

Quick look at your thread/stats provided, your mysql buffers are set way too high = increased memory usage and you're wasting memory on Xcache due to the Litespeed LSAPI PHP configuration you're using. I'll check in on support forums tomorrow when you have v0.3.1 stats output available, off to bed now

I don't see the need to move servers from Unixy - there's room for better optimisations.
    Thanks, I went ahead and posted on the vB forums: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...ation-requests