Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* chicagovps.net overselling, lies and overall customer fraud

Hello WHT community,

I want to share my experience with Chris Fabozzi and Jeremiah Shinkle from chicagovps.net on how I was fed with lies and false promises for the last 4 weeks.

Long story:

On January 9 I have ordered a $24.95 Enterprise VPS from chicagovps.net with their 7$ lowendbox.com promotion. Seemed like an awesome deal for his advertised new "sandy bridge nodes" (That are oversold by 3 times, just check one of the first tickets).

Everything was normal, until January 19. On January 19, I notice that the VPS is lagging like garbage, so I test it's performance and I found out that I'm no longer on my old node. After 10 days without my knowledge Criss decided to simply dump my container into "decommissioned" node in order to get more orders and the only thing that he said, that after a month of time he will place me back on a new node.

What the hell? How can you even do this to your clients? What should people do, pay you money and wait one month to start using their servers I asked to move me back, but he simply refused to do so. So all I was left to is to use a decommissioned garbage for the next two weeks.

Guess what happens after this two weeks? He oversells the decommissioned node! Holly crap, unseen, I/O on this node was pathetic, the overall available IOPS is maximum 10!!! Today (February 9) I have tested this for the last time and it was showing 2.000 ioping, 2 second delay to server a HTML page, 2 second delay for server to say "Hello".

On January 29, Cris promises a new node. Finally I thought, but of course nothing happened, and Cris continued with his story and 1 hole week later, on February 5 both Cris and Jeremiah have still been feeding me lies about new node arrival.

February 5 - February 9 have also been nothing more then continuous streams of lies that you can see on the screenshots.

I have forgotten the last time I saw such incompetent provider who is running a VPS hosting business, but barely able to manage the OpenVZ platform thanks to 0 brain SolusVM interface.

Result: 4 Weeks later, he refused to do anything. After all the talking the only thing that I managed to get from his numbskulls head is to keep the IP address that is software bound. But now he demands money to transfer from his decommissioned garbage and can't bother to spend his worthless time doing vzdump on 1 container.

Loses- 2x7$ with 1 month of garbage service left.
    - 20euro software license fee.
    - 8 our of my life perfecting installed software.
    - 8 our of my life time dealing with this lying fraudster.

Here is the proof of their endless lies that I have been fed up my thought for the last 4 weeks, it shows my amateur side, but thankfully not a single client of my will ever see me talking to them in such away. Unlike this garbage I do everything that I can for them, even if I don't earn a cent and lose my own life time.

http://imgur.com/a/UBS5G

I have wiped my server, canceled their garbage service and ready to move on. I hope everyone who thinks of ordering any of the services from chicagovps.net will remember what I have went through and that they can end up in the same situation as I was.

That is all.

Regards,
    Dmitrij
    Last edited by DmitrijCSR; 02-09-2012 at 12:00 PM.
    Managed1.com - Affordable budget Fully Managed Hosting Services for individuals and business clients. Website Hosting. Domain Name management. High Availability Cloud servers - 99.9% Uptime, Self-Healing Failover, Load Balancing and Mirrored Backups.
    Whisperdale.net - Internet Service Provider since 2007!

Sorry to hear your experience. 2GB for $7 certainly would be a hard one to manage properly from a provider standpoint.

Well, what did you expect?

$7 for 2GB *dedicated* RAM isn't going to happen. From what they said in a support ticket, they put 90 users per those Nodes. While $7*90=$630 per Node looks nice, but do you think they really got more than 180GB RAM per Node? I don't think so.
    KnownSRV.com - Privacy. Managed. Secure. Guaranteed!
    Web Hosting | Dedicated Cloud VPS | Dedicated Server
    YOUR Day and Night, Fully Managed Hosting Solutions with REAL 24/7 Support

Quote Originally Posted by SceneSRV View Post
    Well, what did you expect?

$7 for 2GB *dedicated* RAM isn't going to happen. From what they said in a support ticket, they put 90 users per those Nodes. While $7*90=$630 per Node looks nice, but do you think they really got more than 180GB RAM per Node? I don't think so.
    The 3 sandy bridge nodes that Cris has advertised should have a maximum of 32GB and the nodes that he dumps people to have a maximum of 16GB.

But I would really like to point out that it's not about overselling RAM, it's about what he does to his customers once they sign up for their services, overselling shouldn't mean anything as long as the provider tries to manage the I/O factor on their nodes.

VolumeDrive provides 2GB VPS for 9$, but they don't provide such I/O horror like chicagovps, surely VD support is non undiscussable, but people shouldn't need any support if only the provided services are stable and functioning normally.
    Managed1.com - Affordable budget Fully Managed Hosting Services for individuals and business clients. Website Hosting. Domain Name management. High Availability Cloud servers - 99.9% Uptime, Self-Healing Failover, Load Balancing and Mirrored Backups.

Quote Originally Posted by SceneSRV View Post
    From what they said in a support ticket, they put 90 users per those Nodes. While $7*90=$630 per Node looks nice, but do you think they really got more than 180GB RAM per Node? I don't think so.
    What is it with providers these days cramping as many users per node, They could have a nice little profitable product from the 2GB $7/Month if they was to manage it correctly and have the correct hardware in place...

Quote Originally Posted by cd/home View Post
    What is it with providers these days cramping as many users per node, They could have a nice little profitable product from the 2GB $7/Month if they was to manage it correctly and have the correct hardware in place...
    I don't know about profitable from $7/month with 2GB. Especially if renting, dedicated servers are usually $100/month or more for 8GB, closer to $200 for a server that supports 16GB. Overselling makes it possible, but not profitable. Add a bit more if you factor in a good network and large RAID array to support the node.

I would like to know what is the secret to these prices and offer the public (the numbers simply are not logical)
    Business in a Box & Adsense WebSites
    ---------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by gaboman View Post
    I would like to know what is the secret to these prices and offer the public (the numbers simply are not logical)
    Simple.. its overselling.

Caveat emptor (buyer beware). You got yourself into that mess

Good luck with your next provider.

Sorry but was it necessary to say "You are one lying fraudster that deserves to be burned alive" and then threaten them?

Sure, there's no real problem in copying a container to another node - but that doesn't mean you should lose the handle when they refuse.

After all the talking the only thing that I managed to get from his numbskulls head is to keep the IP address that is software bound.
    It might not be that simple. Some providers do not have their own IP block; or their server provider does not offer IP pooling. If this is the case, it becomes very, very messy to migrate an IP and would more than likely breach their provider's network policy.

container into "decommissioned" node in order to get more orders and the only thing that he said, that after a month of time he will place me back on a new node.
    I was at a talk by internet for business tonight, and (apparently, quote the speaker) this is a common method of phasing out old hardware. You put clients who have a lower hardware or SLA agreement on older hardware, and then swap it out when it's reached the end of the life. I wouldn't recommend this practise; but that isn't to say it doesn't happen nor is a (in some cases) valid method of doing things.

Ultimately: I am not surprised by the outcome of this.
    Last edited by Afterburst-Jack; 02-09-2012 at 09:25 PM.

Conversation went a little differently at lowendtalk.

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion...customer-fraud
    http://www.bitaccel.com/ - High resource vps hosting and vps resellers.

Honestly, I don't think ioping works right. I tested it on a few servers and get sporadic results on most of them.

Here is a system we have that has no servers currently on it:

Code:
    [root@app12 ioping-0.6]# ./ioping -c 10 /dev/vg0/LogVol00
    4096 bytes from /dev/vg0/LogVol00 (device 2770.6 Gb): request=1 time=315.3 ms
    4096 bytes from /dev/vg0/LogVol00 (device 2770.6 Gb): request=2 time=48.6 ms
    4096 bytes from /dev/vg0/LogVol00 (device 2770.6 Gb): request=3 time=333.7 ms
    4096 bytes from /dev/vg0/LogVol00 (device 2770.6 Gb): request=4 time=38.8 ms
    4096 bytes from /dev/vg0/LogVol00 (device 2770.6 Gb): request=5 time=43.1 ms
    4096 bytes from /dev/vg0/LogVol00 (device 2770.6 Gb): request=6 time=315.4 ms
    4096 bytes from /dev/vg0/LogVol00 (device 2770.6 Gb): request=7 time=48.5 ms
    4096 bytes from /dev/vg0/LogVol00 (device 2770.6 Gb): request=8 time=317.6 ms
    4096 bytes from /dev/vg0/LogVol00 (device 2770.6 Gb): request=9 time=53.5 ms
    4096 bytes from /dev/vg0/LogVol00 (device 2770.6 Gb): request=10 time=48.9 ms

--- /dev/vg0/LogVol00 (device 2770.6 Gb) ioping statistics ---
    10 requests completed in 10565.1 ms, 6 iops, 0.0 mb/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 38.8/156.3/333.7/134.2 ms
    Compared to seeker, which has always been pretty reliable...

Code:
    [root@app12 ~]# ./seeker_baryluk /dev/vg0/LogVol00 128
    Seeker v3.0, 2009-06-17, http://www.linuxinsight.com/how_fast_is_your_disk.html
    Benchmarking /dev/vg0/LogVol00 [5810266112 blocks, 2974856249344 bytes, 2770 GB, 2837044 MB, 2974 GiB, 2974856 MiB]
    [512 logical sector size, 512 physical sector size]
    [128 threads]
    Wait 30 seconds..............................
    Results: 682 seeks/second, 1.466 ms random access time (18413080 < offsets < 2974469214482)

I have couple ChicaoVPS VPSs and they are working great. Different node and not experiencing what the OP did with I/O. It's pretty responsive when I'm in SSH as well.

Seriously, I'm not expecting much with $7 2GB VPS but they are good enough for me to get a second VPS last week.

Sometimes, don't set your expectation too high...
    SysAdmin.xyz
    Having severs with customer data on it without proper monitoring is like having one night stand without using protections - eventually, there will be an 'oh s**t!' moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitcable View Post
    Caveat emptor (buyer beware). You got yourself into that mess

Good luck with your next provider.
    I have a list of trustworthy providers, change will be made today.

Quote Originally Posted by quad3datwork View Post
    I have couple ChicaoVPS VPSs and they are working great. Different node and not experiencing what the OP did with I/O. It's pretty responsive when I'm in SSH as well.

Seriously, I'm not expecting much with $7 2GB VPS but they are good enough for me to get a second VPS last week.

Sometimes, don't set your expectation too high...
    I completely agree with your logic, but I think buyers should expect a service worth 25$ per month. Just because he is running a promotion that doesn't give him any rights to provide a service that is lower quality then a non discounted service. I think consumers can agree on such statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Flapadar View Post
    Sorry but was it necessary to say "You are one lying fraudster that deserves to be burned alive" and then threaten them?
    As I have explained on LET, this have been my final words, that I'll not regret saying. In Middle ages, that would be exactly what he would receive after getting his hands cut off for the first few clients that he would rip off . Good ol' days.

Quote Originally Posted by DmitrijCSR View Post
    As I have explained on LET, this have been my final words, that I'll not regret saying. In Middle ages, that would be exactly what he would receive after getting his hands cut off for the first few clients that he would rip off . Good ol' days.
    I don't care. That is no way to treat someone you are doing business with. You should have kept your cool and therefore kept your credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by DmitrijCSR View Post
    wtf is wrong with you? Someone provides you a crappy VPS and you think the solution is to chop off their hands? What exactly do you expect with a $7 2GB VPS? Based upon my experience, 90% of the "companies" posted on LEB should be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by RU-Adam View Post
    90% of the "companies" posted on LEB should be avoided.
    The most outrageous post in this outrageous thread.
    IT & Hosting Solutions Rotherham - Virtual6 Ltd
    IT Distributor | IT Manufacturer | Hosted Products | Business IT Support

Quote Originally Posted by VMPort View Post
    The most outrageous post in this outrageous thread.
    Why's that? It means there are 10% that are trustworthy, you just need to do your homework.

Well.. out of 10 posts on the current LEB home page there is Edis, Quickweb, MiniVPS and us, all who i would consider trust-worthy, reputable companys.

Thats 4 out of 10 just on the home page

Im not saying there aren't a ton of deadpool providers on there, but that is what makes LEB a legend in the budget VPS market.
    IT & Hosting Solutions Rotherham - Virtual6 Ltd
    IT Distributor | IT Manufacturer | Hosted Products | Business IT Support

Quote Originally Posted by VMPort View Post
    Well.. out of 10 posts on the current LEB home page there is Edis, Quickweb, MiniVPS and us, all who i would consider trust-worthy, reputable companys.

Thats 4 out of 10 just on the home page

Im not saying there aren't a ton of deadpool providers on there, but that is what makes LEB a legend in the budget VPS market.
    There may consist of 4 on the current homepage, but 4 out of how many exactly companies posting there? LEB is a decent starting point to find a cheap VPS, but from there people should read the comments and other background information.

Quote Originally Posted by devonblzx View Post
    Sorry to hear your experience. 2GB for $7 certainly would be a hard one to manage properly from a provider standpoint.
    I agree. A customer can't really complain as doing basic math $7 VPS with 2 GB is not a money maker for the provider. It's more of a get the word out type of deal imho.

Well, my $4.95/Month 1GB Ram/2GB Burst VPS with VolumeDrive is good, VolumeDrive has only rebooted the node once.
    NitroRack - We're the CPanel gods

Hello.

@VMPort: I agree with you on your statement about LEB. I'm also a member of that community and, yes it's a very good community, along with a good place to find budget low-end VPS providers. Yes, there is some not so good providers, but that is what the community is for, to help get the good ones known, and the bad ones out. You should always do a background check on the provider no matter what, and where it is advertised or found at, even here... Just because it's posted here does not mean it's the best provider, you always want to make sure, ask for feed back, and do your own personal review on them before choosing any provider, that's why lowendbox is so popular because the community can comment on the advertisements submitted and posted, to post feed back, comments, and warn people if they are not a good provider to choose.

Also,
    Just because you have a bad experience with a provider, you tell them you want to chop their hands off? (Not directed at VMPort). That's a bit insane. I understand being upset, but wow..

p0go

Let's see:

1. LEB has too many shady providers. 90%, ahh no, but 50% or more I'd say.

2. LEB promotes these CRAZY EDDIE style deals that seem to set the providers servers on fire within 7 days of posting. Seeing your provider offer a special on there often means your service is about to decline to unusable level.

3. ChicagoVPS - We've been with then 2-3 months. There were a rough couple of weeks last month. Clearly oversold then. Some changes and migration of people and my node is doing fine. Tons of other folks on other nodes are screaming their heads off - like they should.

4. Business model of $7 2GB - there is a business model and it can be viable business. Like most hosting, people have services that site mainly idle and use fraction of resources they buy. Every industry seems to do this to some degree.

But, VPS providers in their greed fail to recognize supply and demand. Their supply of VPSes is finite. As more interest exists, they should cease their specials and start floating the price back upwards.

5. Volumedrive - that's a company that defies all sorts of best practices in business. Weird company with stranger offers, lack of support, sporadic support often, no login ticketing, no phone support, etc. just plain old email.

Have an account with Volumedrive too and unsure how they pull the RAM trick off and disk IO. Certain they are packing servers with SSDs functioning as RAM.

Volumedrive has issues too. Network (Burst.net) often seems to have blips and failures (more than other networks we are on). Routing can be really messy from and to some places. Our VPS there has also been rebooted (probably entire server) at least once during each of past 2 months.

Quote Originally Posted by cd/home View Post
    It's a cut throat bidness fine sire. They are maximizing profits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast