Question Choosing between WiredTree and ServInt VPS for these specs

To give a background, we started with shared hosting with hostdime, however with growing traffic and expecting a few big clients to come up soon, we need to move to a VPS initially to accommodate our sites. I am no server admin, I am only accustomed to shared hosting cpanel and no prior experience of managing a VPS. Having said that, we only learn from our experience and I am confident that we should be able to handle the basic VPS management, but also not underestimating the requirement of a good fully managed VPS and host.

We are looking for a long term engagement, atleast 2-3 yrs+ as moving and finding a good host is a pain. So we want to make an informed decision before changing hands. I do not need handholding, but at the same time need a host who has the patience and expertise to guide and help when required, take the extra step of customer service. Also we want to go for a basic plan and upgrade if necessary, we do not want to go out all guns blazing.

My preference is ServInt>WireTree (just my personal choice, not based on any statistics )

Current specs –

Website 1: Joomla 1.5 + Virtuemart 1.1.9 based ecommerce site for multimedia files

• Daily Visitors – 5000 (including 50%+ buffer)
    • Monthly bandwidth – 300GB (including 50%+ buffer)

Website 2: Joomla 1.7 based news blog site
    • Daily Visitors – 10000 (including 50%+ buffer)
    • Monthly bandwidth – 300GB (including 50%+ buffer)

Website 3: Joomla 1.7 based news blog site [Not Live-upcoming project]
    • Daily Visitors – 2000 (including 50%+ buffer)
    • Monthly bandwidth – 100GB (including 50%+ buffer)

Website 4: Joomla 1.7 based news blog site [Not Live-upcoming project]
    • Daily Visitors – 2000 (including 50%+ buffer)
    • Monthly bandwidth – 100GB (including 50%+ buffer)

Website 5: Joomla 1.7 based NGO site [Not Live-upcoming project]
    • Daily Visitors – 1000 (including 50%+ buffer)
    • Monthly bandwidth – 10GB

Website 6: Joomla 1.7 based NGO site [Not Live-upcoming project]
    • Daily Visitors – 1000 (including 50%+ buffer)
    • Monthly bandwidth – 10GB

Total Statistics
    Daily Expected Visitors – 21,000
    Monthly Bandwidth – 820GB

These statistics are including an estimated 50%+ more buffer plus should be able to handle the occasional spike. Again all these traffic are not yet live, but is expected.

Plans shortlisted

ServInt - Essential+ VPS
    WiredTree - VPS1000

I have contacted both WireTree and ServInt, response received from ServInt was much more faster and detailed than WireTree (again just stating my opinion). Please do not take this as a benchmark or response time, I am sure there must be thousands of sales enquiries everyday and responding to every one of them might vary on situation.

My queries and requirements –

Fully Managed VPS – I have no experience of VPS of server administration, so I would require a complete managed VPS solution including Server Administration, Firewall, Network /server Security against DDoS attacks, brute force login attacks and viruses, etc.. and regular server maintenance work.

WiredTree
    While DOS mitigation is as simple as blocking an IP, DDOS is much more complicated and can potentially cause issues on the entire node. While we do have syn_flood protection setup in your firewall, we do not protect against DDOS and you are responsible for bandwidth and issues caused by such an attack here on your account. If you have regular DDOS attacks, I would suggest working with an anti-DDOS provider or 3rd party solution.
    ServInt
    All of our VPS solutions and "Solo" Dedicated Server packages do come with full managed support. Our definition of Managed Services generally exceeds that of our competition. What Managed Services means at ServInt is that we accept complete responsibility for everything installed and delivered with your account. We patch and update the Base Operating System, as well as primary applications such as Apache, PHP, and MySQL when necessary, install third-party software, monitor a variety of services on each account, and proactively resolve issues that present themselves. We answer lots of questions, and try to help in every way.
    Basically, we make sure that what you were provided works, and stays working. Even when it comes to what you do with it afterward, we will do our very best to help you out if you run into trouble. But the fact is that there are thousands of 3rd party applications, and when they are added, it introduces millions of variables and millions of possible issues associated with those variables. Not all of these are foreseeable or easy to fix, nor are they necessarily fixable at all. Beyond the base installation of the software, it will be your responsibility to configure and manage it. There should be instructions on how to install software that our team does not offer assistance with in our forums, or they will be happy to point you to the correct information if you have questions.
    When you purchase one of our products, it is reasonably secure at the Base OS level. Because many of our clients do not want, or need firewall software, it does not come preinstalled in the standard configuration. However, we will be happy to install software firewall options such as IP Tables, APF, and setup TCP Wrappers (/etc/hosts.allow) for added security to specific services at no additional charge upon request. You will be responsible for then configuring the software firewall of your choosing. If you have questions, you can contact the technicians directly by opening a ticket in the customer portal once the account has been activated.

Are your servers optimized for Joomla CMS/Virtuemart? Do you perform regular database/sql/apache optimization?

WiredTree
    Yes. Optimization is based upon the services surrounding your Joomla code. You will want to request MySQL optimizatoin and consider using services such as Litespeed. We are very capable of optimizing to individual's needs.
    ServInt
    Although this software is used successfully by our clients within our VPS environments, it is not software that is supported. So, although you can install Joomla, you will be responsible for the configuration and ongoing management. Additionally, although we can suggest optimizations upon request, this is not something we automatically do.
    Do you provide LiteSpeed Web Server on request if required ?

ServInt
    All of our VPS packages come with Apache, however, we do have some clients that use LiteSpeed, but as with your previous request, it is considered 3rd party software, and as such is solely your responsibility if you choose to go with it.
    Do you provide recommendation for choosing the best OS for Joomla CMS?

WiredTree
    My suggestion would be to choose CentOS Linux. It is going to provide you with the most acceleration for the least amount of cost.
    ServInt
    We only offer CentOS, however, we offer both CentOS 5 and CentOS 6 as well as 32 or 64-bit options. We do not have a recommendation on which will be best, but you may want to check the developer website to see if they have a preference.
    These responses have been posted to provide a better perspective for my needs and requirements. These should not be considered to form any perception about the host

Although my first preference is for ServInt, the lack of support for LiteSpeed and optimization is a setback for me. As I mentioned, I am no server admin so would require the host to perform the basic optimization as all the sites would be based on Joomla. Again I do not expect the host to troubleshoot Joomla or Virtuemart coding issues, but optimization and recommendation would be added advantage. I have not used Litespeed, but having read positive feedback on improved performance over apache, I would definitely require the option to have Litespeed configured and supported if needed.

Also uptime is definitely priority. It does not matter if there is no downtime for 1 year, 3~6 hrs of downtime one single day might take away all the good deeds, and 1~2 days outage will definitely ruin the business.

Thanks for reading the lost post, will appreciate all inputs.
    Last edited by shakensoul; 02-09-2012 at 11:43 AM.

for me ServInt is the best. Current, the plan that you suggest to ServInt. I'm running my client as you post well. Sorry for other company i don't know to because i'm ServInt over a year.

Regarding ServInt's response about optimization, I read that as them not supporting Joomla (code) itself, not necessarily them refusing to help optimize the hosting environment. I would ask to clarify on that if that's an important factor.

I have to say, WiredTree's response to best OS is a bit shoddy. CentOS will provide the most acceleration? I'm confused.

Either way, thanks for posting your experience. Let us know which you end up choosing.

Any members here with Joomla/Virtuemart sites hosted on ServInt, just to check site speed

ServInt is garbage... I highly recommend you stay away. Performance is fine for the first few months (1 - 2), but it will lowly degrade over time. I honestly feel bad for those using any professional operation with their services. Also if you choose to cancel you need to do so 31 days before the next billing cycle (GYM memberships do this too). Scam in my book.

Personally I would choose either Wiredtree or Linode.

Gigist -- sorry you feel that way. Our cancellation policies are fairly standard for the business hosting industry, and are very clearly spelled out in our order process, well prior to the point where you make payment on your first month of service. More troubling is your belief that your performance degraded after the first couple months of service with us. I can assure you the system resources you purchased did not change over the course of your stay; perhaps something compromised the integrity and effectiveness of your site without you realizing it. Either way, we wish you well wherever your hosting journey takes you.

Quote Originally Posted by ServintFritz View Post
    Gigist -- sorry you feel that way. Our cancellation policies are fairly standard for the business hosting industry, and are very clearly spelled out in our order process, well prior to the point where you make payment on your first month of service. More troubling is your belief that your performance degraded after the first couple months of service with us. I can assure you the system resources you purchased did not change over the course of your stay; perhaps something compromised the integrity and effectiveness of your site without you realizing it. Either way, we wish you well wherever your hosting journey takes you.
    I've easily been with 8 or so VPS providers in the past 2 years... none of which have a 31 day cancellation policy. Most have 7.

Why force a user/customer to continue to use your, for lack of a better word, terrible service for another month when clearly (if the user is cancelling) wants to be done with your company?

Have decided to tryout Servint for a month to see it goes before moving the critical websites.

Good luck with the mistake .

I have flawless uptime and speed with ServInt. Good choice!
    CapeWP.com
    CapeWP.com - WordPress for all of us

Quote Originally Posted by shakensoul View Post
    Have decided to tryout Servint for a month to see it goes before moving the critical websites.
    Good choice. I'm in the process of moving to ServInt as well.

FlaNative

I've been a servint custermer since 13 months and always had great support and uptime.

Just have bad times when my site was under ddos attack.