Arrow Any better offers around on a dedicated server than this SingleHop deal?

Here is a deal that I found at SingleHop. I would like to know if there is a better deal in price/HW-Service or both that I can find from a reliable company. I found a "better" offer from VolumeDrive but I've been scared off from the mountain of negative reviews specially the ridiculous time it takes them to deploy their servers and answer their support emails/tickets. Any advice would be highly appreciated. My budget is $250 MAX.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Server Model: Xeon E3-1230 4x3.2GHz HT 8M s-cache Turboboost
    Hardware: Xeon 3.2GHz Quad Core w/ hyperthreading, 8M s-cache, Turboboost
    Memory: 8 GB DDR3 RAM
    Storage: 1 TB SATA Drive (7200 RPM)
    Software: cPanel/WHM
    Cent OS 5.5
    Network: 13 Static IP Addresses
    100 Mbps Uplink Port
    10 TB Bandwidth

$118.25 - for first month (with a 50% 1st month off coupon)
    $236.50 - for next month
    It would be nice to find a higher end processor, or duel Xeon and maybe more Ram ECC. Let me know if I should dive in or look around further. Thanks

If they're a managed provider then I imagine that's a reasonable price, otherwise there are much better offers elsewhere. IOFlood for example, or DataShack if you'd rather tighten your budget.

It is not managed, and since you brought that up, I did not look if they offer remote reboot IPMI or KVM. I should check on that since it would be a deal breaker if they don't offer it free. I will look at IOFlood, but DataShack seem to have a lot of negative reviews as well. Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Yallaa View Post
    Here is a deal that I found at SingleHop. I would like to know if there is a better deal in price/HW-Service or both that I can find from a reliable company. I found a "better" offer from VolumeDrive but I've been scared off from the mountain of negative reviews specially the ridiculous time it takes them to deploy their servers and answer their support emails/tickets. Any advice would be highly appreciated. My budget is $250 MAX.
    Server Model: Xeon E3-1230 4x3.2GHz HT 8M s-cache Turboboost
    Hardware: Xeon 3.2GHz Quad Core w/ hyperthreading, 8M s-cache, Turboboost
    Memory: 8 GB DDR3 RAM
    Storage: 1 TB SATA Drive (7200 RPM)
    Software: cPanel/WHM
    Cent OS 5.5
    Network: 13 Static IP Addresses
    100 Mbps Uplink Port
    10 TB Bandwidth

$118.25 - for first month (with a 50% 1st month off coupon)
    $236.50 - for next month
    It would be nice to find a higher end processor, or duel Xeon and maybe more Ram ECC. Let me know if I should dive in or look around further. Thanks
    The E3-1230 cpu is already pretty high end. It's pretty expensive to find anything that's more than a few percent faster than that.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

Hivelocity have some good deals, look at their special deals page.

Just look around, there are offers on this setup at the Dedicated Servers section for around $149-199/mo

In addition to IOFlood who has been mentioned. Also take a look at alnitech.com, reliablesite.net, comforthost.net, talenthouse.com, and incero.com. I believe I have seem them all advertising a similar offering to what you listed.
    AtomHost.com
    Hosting Web Sites Since 1996!
    Contact Us For Shared, Reseller, and VPS Specials!

Quote Originally Posted by availes View Post
    In addition to IOFlood who has been mentioned. Also take a look at alnitech.com, reliablesite.net, comforthost.net, talenthouse.com, and incero.com. I believe I have seem them all advertising a similar offering to what you listed.
    Thanks for mentioning our name.

So to address your concerns...

1) There is always going to be a better offer. You can always pay less money with the next guy. The grass is not always greener on the other side. Keep that in mind.. The less you spend the less you will get. Please do not confuse this with paying an unnecessary premium. For example just because a company has the highest rates, does not make them the best. However if your paying $90/mo while the rest of the industry is $180 - $250.. The $90/mo option may not provide the support you want.

2) The E3-1230 CPU is plenty strong, and unless your simply doing something where you need 8 - 12 or more physical cores; or very heavy CPU load the E3-1230 is really the best bang for the buck right now.

What's wrong with what you listed for $236/mo??

1) You NEED 2 Hard Drives. This would be in RAID1, mirrored so that when one drive fails your server does not go down. (We have a very old hard drive from 1999 that is still running, that we have just left on for fun..., it still works and we still play with the server it's on from time to time to see how long it will last. To make it even better.. It is not in the data center any longer, and is not even on a UPS. It has gone through multiple power outages. We thought it crashed once after a power failure, but it turns out it was just the battery on the motherboard was dead and it lost the drive settings in the bios) But the rule is that a hard drive WILL fail at some point. It should be considered the rule. RAID1 will keep your server running when one drive fails.

2) A single hard drive, RAID1, or any other raid level should NOT be considered a replacement for a backup. You should ALWAYS backup your data. The least expensive option to backup your data is an additional drive in your server. This means that if files are accidentally deleted, RAID dies, or something else that you do have a backup. The downfall to the backup drive located in your server is that if a hacker gets into your system they could delete all of your backups along with the live data. The best practice would be to run backups off of your server to some other server, possibly in a second location. There are multiple ways to backup your server. For example R1Soft CDP. This will watch all of the changes on your server and send copy of those to an external server, and finally that external server is backed up to another physical location. This means if a hacker gets into your server they cannot delete all of your valuable data. This also means if something happens physically to your server, or even to the data center location you still have a backup of your data.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask them. We love to give advise and provide feedback to anyone, any time.
    REDUNDANT.COMEquinix Data Centers Performance Optimized Network
    Managed & Unmanaged
    • Servers • Colocation • Cloud • VEEAM
    sales@redundant.com

Quote Originally Posted by TalentHouse Hosting View Post
    The least expensive option to backup your data is an additional drive in your server.
    Whats a point of having additional drive in your system but out of RAID ? It adds 0 to reliability and doesn't address any problem that backup should address. I would not even consider to call this "backup".

You could have temp fast storage on separate drive to store your data for downloading in case if you need to shut everything down when you do a backup. this will allow to make a snapshop of your data fast, and later to download it to your fully isolated backups storage using even low speed internet connection. But even in this case i would prefer to have this drive inside RAID array and will just create a logical volume over it.

!! NEVER STORE BACKUPS LOCALLY !!

Never even allow to connect to your full backups archive from your server.

OR just search WHT for thousands stories how "backup" drives where formatted during OS reinstall.
    Alnitech.com - dedicated servers for your business
    Dedicated Servers , Disaster Recovery, IaaS, BGP Announcement & More.
    ✓ 24x7 h/w Support & Server Monitoring
    ✓ 21-day Money-back Guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by alnitech View Post
    Whats a point of having additional drive in your system but out of RAID ? It adds 0 to reliability and doesn't address any problem that backup should address. I would not even consider to call this "backup".

You could have temp fast storage on separate drive to store your data for downloading in case if you need to shut everything down when you do a backup. this will allow to make a snapshop of your data fast, and later to download it to your fully isolated backups storage using even low speed internet connection. But even in this case i would prefer to have this drive inside RAID array and will just create a logical volume over it.

!! NEVER STORE BACKUPS LOCALLY !!

Never even allow to connect to your full backups archive from your server.

OR just search WHT for thousands stories how "backup" drives where formatted during OS reinstall.

Sorry maybe I was not clear.

I meant RAID1 (Mirror of 2 drives) for the production data. The least expensive option is to back this up to a third physical drive (second logical drive).

Least expensive doesn't mean best practice. However if I had to have my choice between a local backup drive and no backup drive I would take a local backup drive.

So, to be clear.

Best practice..

Inside the server 2 physical drives in a RAID1 mirror.

Outside the server a backup copy of everything. In a way that can't be deleted from the server (for example do not mount this has /backup so the "hacker" can't delete your backups.
    REDUNDANT.COMEquinix Data Centers Performance Optimized Network
    Managed & Unmanaged
    • Servers • Colocation • Cloud • VEEAM
    sales@redundant.com

I found a "better" offer from VolumeDrive
    Singlehop is managed, volumedrive is unmanaged, massive difference. Grab the singlehop server and be done with it.

If you can do with unmanaged, grab a server from Incero (gordonrp). But if you need managed, that's a good deal. IOFlood is great, but I don't think they're in stock.
    RamNode - High Performance Cloud VPS
    SSD Cloud and Shared Hosting
    NYC - LA - ATL - SEA - NL - DDoS Protection - AS3842
    Deploy on our SSD cloud today! - www.ramnode.com

Thank you all for your kind and helpful replies. Much appreciated.

The SingleHop offer above is not managed.

I looked at most offers and suggestions here, and interestingly I was looking at Increo just before Gordenrp posted here. His site seem to offer a much better deal than most. and I've read some great reviews here about him & his company.

Here is what I found.

$149 E3-1230 Promo + my own custom addons
    ==========================================
    » IPMI/KVM: Included free of charge!
    Full remote control/reboot/OS reload.
    » Hard Drives: 1x 2TB (WD Caviar Black 64MB Cache!)
    » IP Addresses: 13 Usable IPs (Documentation Required) $13.00 USD
    » Bandwidth: 100mbit Dedicated Unmetered (Approx 33TB out + 33TB in)
    » RAM: 16GB DDR-3 ECC
    » Management: Unmanaged, no support
    » OS Install: CentOS 5.7 64bit, Default Partitions
    » Control Panel: cPanel/WHM Licensed Customer Installs $39.00 USD
    » Datacenter: Dallas, Texas SAS 70 Type II
    $201.00 USD
    + $118.00 USD Setup Fee
    -------------
    Subtotal: $319.00 USD

Total Due Today: $319.00 USD
    Total Recurring: $201.00 USD Monthly
    --------------------------------------------

Now if Gordon welcomes a 10 year softlayer customer (inherited from ThePlanet < RackShack) to his business by waving the $118 setup fee, I will sign up right away.

Now if Gordon welcomes a 10 year softlayer customer (inherited from ThePlanet < RackShack) to his business by waving the $118 setup fee, I will sign up right away.
    That shouldn't be a problem.

p.s. It's not possible to PM you as you're new to this forum.
    Last edited by gordonrp; 02-09-2012 at 10:16 PM.

Thank you and I will sign up to tonight, How long does it take to deploy, since I'll need to get it all done to move over from softlayer before the end of the month without any major surprises.

Thank you and I will sign up to tonight, How long does it take to deploy, since I'll need to get it all done to move over from softlayer before the end of the month without any major surprises.
    ~1 day currently.

Cheers,
    Gordon

That's great! Since you can't PM me, I will use the email in your signature to get in touch with you to get it done. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post
    Singlehop is managed, volumedrive is unmanaged, massive difference. Grab the singlehop server and be done with it.
    Ha, thanks Gordon. Austin, by the way is an amazing city! I almost went to good ol' UT.