Unhappy with ThrustVPS aka DamnVPS

Backstory:

Let me start this off by saying that I was a happy customer for almost a year ... until yesterday.

I've had two Xen VPS packages with ThrustVPS for some time now. The larger "Sky" server was my main server, and the other one was my secondary DNS and whatever else utility host. They have both been perfectly reliable and I haven't had any complaints about the service to this point.

The problem:

On 02/07 at about 9:00 CDT I noticed that the big sky server had gone offline. I opened a ticket (XGV-224614) about it - "since there is no longer a telephone number or live chat for support - and was told the following by Ryan in the billing department:

It appears that the was an issue on your account with invoices, and as such the payments that you were sending us were not being allocated to any Invoices. I have now manually brought you up to date and have allocated all payments. You should now be up to date on Invoices. If you have any Issues please let me know.
    At that point the server was available in the control panel again, so I booted it back up and assumed that everything was back to normal. I was also really happy that Ryan was able to resolve the situation so quickly.

Now ... Fast forward to ~16:00 CDT 02/07 when the VPS goes offline again. I check the control panel again and find that the server is not downed by an admin, but that it's just gone. Only my smaller utility server is listed.

So I go back to the ticketing system and open another ticket (GMQ-449786) since the previous ticket led me to believe the issue had been resolved. In this ticket I'm told the following, again by Ryan in the billing department at 12:20 GMT:

It appears that the billing system has terminated your VPS, I am not entirely sure why on earth it has done this as you were up to date on the payments. As the VPS has been terminated the only thing that I can do for you would be to recreate the VPS for you. Would you like me to do this for?
    I replied to the ticket 15 minutes later asking if there was any way for them (the billing department) to restore the VPS that was deleted. I didn't get a response, despite explicitly asking for one FIVE TIMES in the remaining ~4.5 hours before the billing department closed for the day.

Hoping to find satisfaction - or at least remediation - with the support staff (restoring servers has to be support anyway, right?), I entered another ticket (LFU-337684) at 17:43 GMT to have the server that was erroneously terminated/removed restored to working condition. That ticket was answered by the support staff by assigning it to sales. Naturally, that department seems to work the same hours that billing does, so I won't be hearing from them until at least 3:00 CDT, or 9:00 GMT ... 15 hours later.

This summarizes my experience with ThrustVPS in the last 48 hours. I'm posting this both to serve as an account of my experience with them, and in the hope that someone on staff at ThrustVPS will see this thread and do something other than transfer me to billing and/or sales.

My fully paid VPS has been down for 24 hours through absolutely no fault of my own, yet no one seems to care too much about that. I can't even get anyone to tell me if they can restore the VPS or not.

I am not a happy customer at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by samiam_dfw View Post
    It appears that the billing system has terminated your VPS, I am not entirely sure why on earth it has done this as you were up to date on the payments. As the VPS has been terminated the only thing that I can do for you would be to recreate the VPS for you. Would you like me to do this for?
    If they are using WHMCS, as per my experience, it could the vps has been marked to be cancel few days ago and every time their billing system running cronjob, cronjob will terminate your vps.
    © www.hostinginside.com AS9678 √
    © Taiwan Colocation and Dedicated Server
    © Taiwan, Singapore, US, UK & Germany KVM Based VPS with RAID 10

If the VPS is marked as terminated then there is very little chance of them getting your data back
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by rghf View Post
    If the VPS is marked as terminated then there is very little chance of them getting your data back
    What? They could just restore it with a backup, most providers I have been with have backups of VPS's..

The problem is that backups are a client responsibility and unmanaged hosts don't always have them available even in cases of the providers own fault.

Quote Originally Posted by rghf View Post
    Coming from you that just tells me that their infrastructure is even worse than I thought it was when they accidentally deleted my VPS.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeBates View Post
    What? They could just restore it with a backup, most providers I have been with have backups of VPS's..
    You would think so, wouldn't you? But here I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolraul View Post
    The problem is that backups are a client responsibility and unmanaged hosts don't always have them available even in cases of the providers own fault.
    No, that's not the problem. The problem is that this event is tantamount to having a co-located physical server in a datacenter, and then having that datacenter's automaton employees go unrack said server, run it through the degausser and then throwing it in the passing garbage truck.

I had application level backups to restore the server in the event of a software problem, but they were on the server itself.

... I guess I missed the clause in the terms and conditions that read "we reserve the right to delete your paid account that is in good standing whenever the desire strikes us for no good reason."

Unfortunately I know this pain all to well with Thrust VPS as they also ruined many months of my work. This was due to "a whole raid array failing". I work for one of the largest hosting companies in the world and our raid arrays don't fail all at once. They, alert for potential future failures. I'm directly responsible for keeping track of these items on the shared servers and can confidently say that not all hosts behave the way Thrust does.

This isn't to mention the tech support people that seem to be outsourced. They should outsource a middle man to type their responses because they are not very professional sounding when they try to type in English. Also, when my VPS failed it was like pulling teeth to even get a technical answer out of them as to what happened. They hem'd and haw'd and beat around the bush for about 5 replies from each side before they told me the raid array failed. It gave me the strong impression that many of the customer facing staff there doesn't have a clue about the technical aspects of the company.

I wouldn't recommend them to my enemy.

for reference here is the thread I made:

webhostingtalk dot com/showthread.php?p=7703118

I'm not even sure what Rus's interest is in Thrust anymore and why he's even replying to a thread about it here. It makes me wonder if he's just put someone else in charge as the front man for the company while he still reaps the monetary benefit of running a shoddy host. Very suspicious Rus indeed.
    Last edited by FluxCapacitor; 02-15-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Funny thing, another person I know was sent an email about downtime for a short period at 3AM this morning to DOWNGRADE solusvm.

It is now 6.5 hours later and the vz control panel cannot be accessed.

Quote Originally Posted by FluxCapacitor View Post
    I'm not even sure what Rus's interest is in Thrust anymore and why he's even replying to a thread about it here. It makes me wonder if he's just put someone else in charge as the front man for the company while he still reaps the monetary benefit of running a shoddy host. Very suspicious Rus indeed.
    Rus doesn't work for ThrustVPS/Their parent company anymore. Hes now completely unaffiliated with it.
    Jonathan Martin
    - MPServ LLC
    - MPServ.net - Quality Game Server Hosting - Minecraft - GMod - Team fortress 2
    - Custom Control Panel - Average 1 hour support response - Instant Activation - Amazing Prices!

sorry to here :(

sorry to here that you are not satisfied with your current vps hosting service!! I highly recommend that you switch you vps hosting if you haven't done so already!! Also, for advice, i tried out many vps hosting services && the best one I have had was ones from linode.com (a bit pricy, but great service and customer suport), virpus (really cheap, excellent)