Thread: VPS in the US

VPS in the US

Hi,

I am looking for a new and quality VPS provider in the USA. NOT Cloud VPS!

Reliability and speed are the most important factors (I run an online digital download store of 400MB-2GB files) - I am fed up with downtimes and slow speed with my current provider.

My needs:
    • 6GHz CPU guaranteed
    • 6 GB Memory
    • Raid10 Disk Space - 180 GB
    • Fast Gigabit port
    • Daily backup of the file system (max 20 GB)
    • Monthly bandwidth max 2000 GB (just to make sure not consume the limit, I use much less, like max. 180GB / month)
    • Basic control Panel sw is enough (for creating FTP accounts, Basic File manager, SFTP access, Cron, Usage stats (disk and bandwith, PHPMyAdmin)
    • Option: fully managed solution?

Any recommendation where to check?

thanks,
    Baci

You could try Big Brain Host, they're located in US. Other providers you could look into would be wiredtree, knownhost or servint? I'm sure they'd be able to accommodate your requirements, although rarely do I see 6GB mem advertised on websites but it can be done.

I believe all of the providers I've listed can be purchased as managed VPS & cPanel.

I know from personal experience BBH has great service and speeds as that's who I am hosted with. Best of luck.

Have you ever considered a dedicated instead of managed VPS for these needs? Perhaps its a better option... just a thought. What is your budget?

JaguarPc.com offer 6 GB of guaranteed RAM and 300 GB disk on their Linux VPS Enterprise plan now in the offer section:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1117517

The price is $69/mo + $5 for Cpanel. Thats a great offer...

Any location in particular within the US? Also, are you currently utilizing 180 GB of diskspace or is this just a desired amount?

Hi,

May I ask why you want 6GHz CPU guaranteed? You are basically asking for 2-3 cores entirely dedicated to yourself even if you aren't using them. That's not cheap.

Many providers can let you have access to all cores if necessary as (at least with us) CPU availability is usually very high and you can often get more than 6GHz if necessary. However, to actually guarantee that to you is a very expensive thing to do.

If you are constantly using 6GHz though, then please disregard the above (although I would be surprised for a digital download store, unless you were doing lots of transcoding or something).

Marc

Several good suggestions so far.
    Add Futurehosting to the list of hosts mentioned thus far.

What location are you after in the USA ? From my experience your network performance and VPS price will depend somewhat on that.

Quote Originally Posted by bacizone View Post
    Hi,

I am looking for a new and quality VPS provider in the USA. NOT Cloud VPS!

Reliability and speed are the most important factors (I run an online digital download store of 400MB-2GB files) - I am fed up with downtimes and slow speed with my current provider.

My needs:
    • 6GHz CPU guaranteed
    • 6 GB Memory
    • Raid10 Disk Space - 180 GB
    • Fast Gigabit port
    • Daily backup of the file system (max 20 GB)
    • Monthly bandwidth max 2000 GB (just to make sure not consume the limit, I use much less, like max. 180GB / month)
    • Basic control Panel sw is enough (for creating FTP accounts, Basic File manager, SFTP access, Cron, Usage stats (disk and bandwith, PHPMyAdmin)
    • Option: fully managed solution?

Any recommendation where to check?

thanks,
    Baci
    Sounds like you need to be going for a your own dedicated machine, would probably even be cheaper to be dedicated with these requirements.

What kind of budget are you looking around with?

A few of those specs seem high to be looking for a VPS plan. What kind of budget are you looking at as they are all doable specs I'm sure, but price may be high enough that a smaller dedicated would be better for you.

I am running a Magento-based store selling sound packs. Magento requires lots of RAM and speed, as it opens huge amount of files at all requests. My site is currently down (again) at my hosting company vps.net, so my most important requirement is reliability and speed.

I do not utilize the 180 GB now, only half is consumed now but growing steady, so asking more disk space is future-proof thing. Preferred US location is East Coast as reasonable traffic come from Europe as well.

Just've checked the JaguarPC.com Hybrid server, looks great. Is this a reliable solution? Does anyone have personal experience here? Honestly I've checked several threads here in the forums plus many of those review sites, but for me it seems they are the field of competition between hosting companies with lots of fake reviews about themselves and the competitors..so unfortunately I can not decide who to trust for. Sorry, but I do not listen to the sonorus marketing anymore.

Thanks for the suggestions, I am not sure I can get a fast dedicated server for around 125 USD / month with a basic panel software and up-time guarantee.

Or is that available somewhere?

I wouldn't hesitate to run a Magento site on a higher-end JaguarPC VPS. It should be fine. If you want super-duper instant support, you'll need to pay more for a premium host (I use EuroVPS for important projects). You could host in Netherlands just as easily as NY/NJ, and get about the same speeds to both NA/Europe.

I don't know that you'll find managed dedicated servers with cPanel for $125.
    That's expecting a but too much, I'm afraid.

Also remember that Magento is PHP + MySQL. You really need to optimize/tweak PHP and MySQL, as well as cache it well. Otherwise you'll be miserable on any server, at any host.

Last edited by kpmedia; 02-13-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Sure, my store is already super-optimized, runs very fast even on the current VPS. But...reliability is more an issue for me.

Checkin' JaguarPC Hybrid VPS now.

Unhappy

I ordered the JAGPC Hybrid plan (order ID 38633) yesterday, but there is an issue that make my order somewhat pointless.

The story:
    After chatting a lot with sales about the CPU's available in hybrids (Xeon 3440, 3330) I was told that I can give details at the order what CPU to apply. So I added these set-up instructions at ordering:

"• I run a Magento based commercial on-line store. However it is already heavily optimized and cached, it still requires lots of I/O file and db access operations and requires the most available CPU power available. Hence please add HT enabled CPU (XEON 3440 or best equivalent) with 2 physical core + 2 HT guaranteed.
    • Please use SolusVM hypervisor
    • Max VPS number would be great as low as possible on the node in Atlanta."

Then I completed the order. Went through the identification, got the log-ins to the admin area, and I was waiting for my server to be ready.

Instead, I got this message (Ticket# 13484310)

"Hello,

We unfortunately do not have room on a node that meets your special instruction requirements at this time. We do not have an ETA on when we will. We do have a Hybrid spot but it'd be Virtuozzo and the node has the following CPU specifications: Xeon 5504

If this is acceptable, please let us know and we will complete the order right away.
    We apologize for any inconvenience and we appreciate your business and understanding. "

As I thought of JaguarPC as my next hosting provider for long time, I thought I'd stick to the stronger CPU mentioned above. Chat support told "You should've been advised that there is a possibility that hardware won't be available". But this is after ordering!

I spent considerable amount of time selecting my next hosting, found that JaguarPC will be a great one... but now I feel that the time spent with this is useless, as I left out a factor: no requested hw available. I am not impressed now, the status of my order is cancelled.

If it is worth a long-term, reliable client for JAGPC, I can wait 1-2 weeks to get the required hybrid config, but not more.

JAGPC, may I kindly ask for a solution?

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Did you contact them directly and ask them if they were willing to set you up with a better CPU (Xeon 3440) after they told you there was no availability?

Sure. They told the 3440 is not available from vendors anymore..
    I said I do not mind if it is a newer Intel CPU, but I'd prefer one with
    - a bigger cache (8MB or more)
    - hypertreading and
    - approx. 2.4 GHz or so.

I ordered the JAGPC Hybrid plan (order ID 38633) yesterday, but there is an issue that make my order somewhat pointless.

The story:
    After chatting a lot with sales about the CPU's available in hybrids (Xeon 3440, 3330) I was told that I can give details at the order what CPU to apply. So I added these set-up instructions at ordering:

"• I run a Magento based commercial on-line store. However it is already heavily optimized and cached, it still requires lots of I/O file and db access operations and requires the most available CPU power available. Hence please add HT enabled CPU (XEON 3440 or best equivalent) with 2 physical core + 2 HT guaranteed.
    • Please use SolusVM hypervisor
    • Max VPS number would be great as low as possible on the node in Atlanta."

Then I completed the order. Went through the identification, got the log-ins to the admin area, and I was waiting for my server to be ready.

Instead, I got this message (Ticket# 13484310)

"Hello,

We unfortunately do not have room on a node that meets your special instruction requirements at this time. We do not have an ETA on when we will. We do have a Hybrid spot but it'd be Virtuozzo and the node has the following CPU specifications: Xeon 5504

If this is acceptable, please let us know and we will complete the order right away.
    We apologize for any inconvenience and we appreciate your business and understanding. "

As I thought of JaguarPC as my next hosting provider for long time, I thought I'd stick to the stronger CPU mentioned above. Chat support told "You should've been advised that there is a possibility that hardware won't be available". But this is after ordering!

I spent considerable amount of time selecting my next hosting, found that JaguarPC will be a great one... but now I feel that the time spent with this is useless, as I left out a factor: no requested hw available. I am not impressed now, the status of my order is cancelled.

If it is worth a long-term, reliable client for JAGPC, I can wait 1-2 weeks to get the required hybrid config, but not more.

JAGPC, may I kindly ask for a solution?
    I'm sorry that you feel it was a waste of time. Several members of our staff have been in contact with you via e-mail and ticket attempting to resolve this for you. Please continue to work with our team through your ticket. Thank you for your business.

Hey Zack,

to tell the truth, I can not even log-in to my account to check my tickets. It seems that my account has been deleted.

I got an offer for a low-cost dedicated instead, but I am not sure a low-cost dedicated with SATA has the same disk I/O speed as the RAID10. (Magento opens huge amount of files with every requests, plus database requests).

I do not care the hypervisor anymore, but I'd prefer the VPS I wrote in the specs, especially the CPU, I explained the reasons above.

Hey Zack,

to tell the truth, I can not even log-in to my account to check my tickets. It seems that my account has been deleted.

I got an offer for a low-cost dedicated instead, but I am not sure a low-cost dedicated with SATA has the same disk I/O speed as the RAID10. (Magento opens huge amount of files with every requests, plus database requests).

I do not care the hypervisor anymore, but I'd prefer the VPS I wrote in the specs, especially the CPU, I explained the reasons above.
    Thank you for your response. We do offer dedicated servers with Raid10; however, the specs you require are not available in our VPS line up.

I ordered and talked about Hybrid Managed VPS, which is equipped with RAID10.

The main point is: I ordered something with clear instructions, sales support told me they use 3440 and 3330 Xeon, thus I asked the 3440. I did not ask anything special or over-the-specs.

More is sent to you in a personal email.

I ordered and talked about Hybrid Managed VPS, which is equipped with RAID10.

The main point is: I ordered something with clear instructions, sales support told me they use 3440 and 3330 Xeon, thus I asked the 3440. I did not ask anything special or over-the-specs.

More is sent to you in a personal email.
    I'm sorry that you were misinformed; however, we are unable to provide you what you are looking for at this time.