VPS hosts offering unlimited data transfer ...

I have a client who insists that he should have "unlimited data transfer" which of course he does not need at all, but I think it sets his mind at ease to be told that he can transfer as much as he wants.

I've seen some hosts advertise this as one of their special features, but I never bothered to make note of them because I never had the need, yet now it seems I do.

Has anyone here had a similar need, and perhaps created a list of VPS hosts offering unlimited data transfer? If so, please post your list here if you still have it available ...

Or if you know of a host that offers this feature please just post the host's name or URL so I can send it to my client. Thanks!

There is no such thing as unlimited so there is no list sorry to say. There might be companies offering this but there is always a catch in there tos.

Unmetered there is such a thing
    *~ Shared,Reseller, and Cloud VPS Provider ~*
    *~ Check out our site at 24Khost.com ~*
    *~ Birchtreelane Gifts, Antiques, Books, Collectibles Birchtreelane.com ~*

Quote Originally Posted by owkaye View Post
    Or if you know of a host that offers this feature please just post the host's name or URL so I can send it to my client. Thanks!
    You need to convince him he needs unmetered instead of unlimited

For example: http://www.fdcservers.net/virtual_servers.php

I have a client who insists that he should have "unlimited data transfer" which of course he does not need at all, but I think it sets his mind at ease to be told that he can transfer as much as he wants.

I've seen some hosts advertise this as one of their special features, but I never bothered to make note of them because I never had the need, yet now it seems I do.

Has anyone here had a similar need, and perhaps created a list of VPS hosts offering unlimited data transfer? If so, please post your list here if you still have it available ...

This is what unlimited is all about. You users won't have to guess what they need. Don't listen to the hosting kiddies that tell you there is no such thing as unlimited

"Unlimited" refers to the traditional artificial quota. By removing this quota you remove the limit and become unlimited. Of course their will be physical limits to the amount of data that can be transferred -- number of hours in a day, the ethernet protocol, the number of other sites sharing the ports, etc

You can always use the gimmick the limited hosts use and create a really big quota like 10TB or something

As long as something is added to TOS to prevent abuse - for example users trying to use a vps as a full dedicated server, as a backup server, a video distribution server, etc
    Last edited by Collabora; 02-08-2012 at 10:19 AM.
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

I don't have a problem with unlimited offers as usually they are doable but I see unlimited a problem when it is an user requirement because hints a prospect with unrealistic expectations and lack of control.
    Last edited by dotHostel; 02-08-2012 at 10:48 AM.
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough

Unlimited or unmetered, that's what I'm seeking for my client. What are your specific host recommendations?

I for one will not even consider a host that advertises "unlimited" resources. My view is these hosts are setting up an unrealistic expectations from their customers (who won't take the time to be educated on what is possible or not possible based on something like port speed, etc... let alone read the AUP/TOS). So when customers hit these limits then the problems start.

Hosts that advertise as "unmetered" seem to for the most part do a much better job about being upfront about the limitations and expectations.

@owkaye search the offers forums for unmetered and you'll find your hosts.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyan View Post
    I for one will not even consider a host that advertises "unlimited" resources. My view is these hosts are setting up an unrealistic expectations from their customers (who won't take the time to be educated on what is possible or not possible based on something like port speed, etc... let alone read the AUP/TOS). So when customers hit these limits then the problems start.

Hosts that advertise as "unmetered" seem to for the most part do a much better job about being upfront about the limitations and expectations.

@owkaye search the offers forums for unmetered and you'll find your hosts.
    That's because hosts that cannot compete with the umlimited hosts purposely sow confusion, at least on this forum.

But I don't think "unlimited" is any more confusing for a non-tech customer than a multi-tiered quota-based plan with its series of ever-increasing quotas for an ever increasing amount of money.

Want to simplify things - just have one plan, an unlimited one for X dollars

Seems like everyone prefers to discuss what they want to discuss in this thread rather than sticking to the topic and helping me find what I'm seeking. Not that discussing off-topic issues is a bad thing, but I created this thread to receive some specific host recommendations, or at least one, and so far no one has posted one.

So ... do any of you actually have a unmetered host that you can strongly recommend?

Search the offers forums for unmetered and you'll find your hosts.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll investigate those offers if it turns out that no one can post a specific recommendation in this thread.

Hey, at least no one responded "what's your budget" as a cover for sig spamming, or "check the offers section" to get you to their ad. The companies I have used in the past not longer offer that kind of plan (hivelocity.com) -- at least on the web site
    Last edited by Collabora; 02-08-2012 at 01:11 PM.

Be sure to check any provider's AUP/Network usage terms. Unmetered providers will have limits on the 'average' level of bandwidth a VM can use. Going beyond it would probably mean they would rate limit you to around that level of bandwidth. If they don't, I would be surprised they are in business.

Anyone offering "Unlimited" should really rethink their terminology. Unlimited is simply not providable due to physical limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Flapadar View Post
    Unlimited is simply not providable due to physical limits.
    Just the contrary. Unlimited is possible due the physical limits.

E.g. An Atom can't pump more than 300Mbps. An Atom connected to 1Gbps pipe has unlimited bandwidth.

And what about "All You Can Eat" restaurants?
    Last edited by dotHostel; 02-08-2012 at 03:04 PM.
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough

Quote Originally Posted by dotHostel View Post
    Just the contrary. Unlimited is possible due the physical limits.
    Unmetered is possible due to physical limits. Unlimited is limited by the physical limits and therefore doesn't exist.

Unmetered is possible due to physical limits. Unlimited is limited by the physical limits and therefore doesn't exist.
    Unlimited doesn't refer to physical limits -- it refers to the limits imposed by invented quotas. That's how you get unlimited talk time on your cell phone plan -- even though there is a physical limit to the number of minutes in each day.

Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    Unlimited doesn't refer to physical limits -- it refers to the limits imposed by invented quotas. That's how you get unlimited talk time on your cell phone plan -- even though there is a physical limit to the number of minutes in each day.
    That's a misappropriation of the word.

un·lim·it·ed/ˌənˈlimitid/
    Adjective:
    Not limited or restricted in terms of number, quantity, or extent.
    (of a company) Not limited.
    Synonyms:
    boundless - unbounded - limitless - infinite
    Last edited by Afterburst-Jack; 02-08-2012 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Removing sig due to the nature of the thread..

That's a misappropriation of the word.
    the definition is consistent with my explanation. Your lack of knowledge of a concept does not diminish the concept

Definition of ignorance: Lack of knowledge
    Last edited by Collabora; 02-08-2012 at 03:25 PM.

that's ignorance
    No, that's sense. The only reason phone plans are labelled as unlimited is because that is what most people refer unmetered to as. Phone plans like to target the larger audiences; therefore they use the terminology that will attract them.

the definition is consistent with my explanation. Your lack of knowledge of a concept does not diminish the concept
    Seen as you edited your post, I'll re-answer it:

The definition shows it as having no limits; infinite amount. Now, your phone provider wouldn't be happy if you cloned your card 20 times and started 20 calls lasting the entire month on your "unlimited calls" package. Same goes with unlimited data plans with phone providers - there are limits whereby they will try to arrange a solution with you.

No, that's sense. The only reason phone plans are labelled as unlimited is because that is what most people refer unmetered to as. .
    .......QED.......

.......QED.......
    Well done, you can quote the names of fallacies. Want a medal?

In all seriousness; I've re-answered your points, and you haven't given a proper response to it.

The definition shows it as having no limits; infinite amount.
    Your definition does not contain the word "infinite." As a matter of fact its notably absent.

Again, I repeat, the limit that is unlimited is the artificial quota. For example, if I allow your web site to use all the available space on a hard drive, the traditional bullet point for GB of web space is unlimited GB, because I am not using GB to measure it. No one is arguing that there is no physical limit to the size of a hd or even to the size of the entire data center.

If you were given access to all the hard drives in the universe and yours was the only web site you would still be physically limited -- even if a new hard drive was cerated every second. But the web hosting plan can be called unlimited since there is no quota and your web site will never be large enough to fill the space

Now, your phone provider wouldn't be happy if you cloned your card 20 times and started 20 calls lasting the entire month on your "unlimited calls" package.
    So what? I am not saying you can't invent a scenario where the term "unlimited" is ridiculous. There will probably be something in the TOS abotu that. The fact that a scenario does exist where it can be used is enough.

There is nothing wrong with a cell phone company describing a calling plan as unlimited even though the number of minutes in day is limited. Similarly there is nothing wrong with a host calling web space unlimited even though there is a limit to the size of any hard drive; there is nothing wrong with calling data transfer unlimited even though bandwidth will be.

What all these have in common is the absence of quota. That's all there is too it.

Your homework is to post the definition of unmetered
    Last edited by Collabora; 02-08-2012 at 04:04 PM.

Seems like everyone prefers to discuss what they want to discuss in this thread rather than sticking to the topic and helping me find what I'm seeking. Not that discussing off-topic issues is a bad thing, but I created this thread to receive some specific host recommendations, or at least one, and so far no one has posted one.

So ... do any of you actually have a unmetered host that you can strongly recommend?

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll investigate those offers if it turns out that no one can post a specific recommendation in this thread.
    Since collab and flap didn't seem to read this post... and chose to go into another full page instead of listening...

Hostv has a similar offering for $20 a month http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=982786 unmetered 10mbit which in this industry pretty much is unlimited. Just say it's unlimited and be done with it.

Buyvm has storage plans which may not perform as well as a standard plan simply because they are for storage but they include 100mbit download and 10mbit upload for $15 a month.

http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produkte_vserver/vq7
    Hetzner also has this, they have a 1TB traffic cap but if you exceed that you are limited to 10mbit so you are on a 10mbit unmetered/unlimited cap.

Out of all of these, the first link should in my opinion provide the best performance. I have used both hetzner and buyvm but never compared them to each other to notice any significant difference other than location.
    If these don't work, I cannot think of any other host capable of meeting those requirements other than fdcservers.net which isn't a bad host depending on the facility, all I remember is one location was not a good experience while the other was great.

Quote Originally Posted by techjr View Post
    Since collab and flap didn't seem to read this post... and chose to go into another full page instead of listening...

OP is asking for unlimited data transfer, not unmetered bandwidth, whatever that is.

I'll investigate those offers if it turns out that no one can post a specific recommendation in this thread.
    I did way back in post #4