Exclamation Solar VPS doesn't accept my credit card

Here's my case.

I signed up for Solar's VPs 1$(for first month) promotional period.

A day later I got a request that I need to provide my passport so that my order can progress. I provided my passport promptly and then they told me that the card I used is not coming up being located in the same country as where I reside.

I told them I use entropay.com virtual credit card for my internet purchases from grocery shop to airplane tickets and I never had a problem.

I offered to pay by paypal and was open to alternative ways of payment but they were having none of this.

Almost a week later of this correspondence I got a message that my order cannot be fullfiled.

??????????

This doesn't end here

A friend of mine who lives 30mins from me also tried to use their promotion code and he told me they denied his sign up because they claimed he was using an IP that is or used to be a proxy. I asked my friend what did he do and he told me he used no proxy whatsoever, just his internet connection provided to him by the Mobile company in UK called Three.

Not only this. They also said to him that his passport is not issued from the country that he resides and (they implied clearly) that this raises the fraud risk factor. WHAT?????? In uk there are so many foreigners that most dont hold a UK passport. What is this?

This is 2 in a row. Solar VPS has declined 2 customers that were going to use their promotion for "alleged" high risk status.

Happy to provide name, addresses and everything this community wants so that you can see that Solar VPS DO NOT honour their promotion to customers who go out of their way to show they are legit.
    Last edited by Harzem; 02-08-2012 at 01:25 PM. Reason: changed title

Usually the passport is used just to verify the identity like first and last name. The location should not matter, at least thats what I think.

You should try contacting them again and see if they can get it resolved.

Good Luck.

- Daniel

They aren't doing anything. They advertise something but refuse to honour it. What sort of provider is this?

You seems good enough by willing to provide passport, some else even wont to provide any else like ID or other license.
    © www.hostinginside.com AS9678 √
    © Taiwan Colocation and Dedicated Server
    © Taiwan, Singapore, US, UK & Germany KVM Based VPS with RAID 10

I done everything they asked for but they are having none of it. They just refuse to honour my order and my friends order on vague terms

Quote Originally Posted by cheektocheek View Post
    Here's my case.

I signed up for Solar's VPs 1$(for first month) promotional period.

A day later I got a request that I need to provide my passport so that my order can progress. I provided my passport promptly and then they told me that the card I used is not coming up being located in the same country as where I reside.

I told them I use entropay.com virtual credit card for my internet purchases from grocery shop to airplane tickets and I never had a problem.

I offered to pay by paypal and was open to alternative ways of payment but they were having none of this.

Almost a week later of this correspondence I got a message that my order cannot be fullfiled.

??????????

This doesn't end here

A friend of mine who lives 30mins from me also tried to use their promotion code and he told me they denied his sign up because they claimed he was using an IP that is or used to be a proxy. I asked my friend what did he do and he told me he used no proxy whatsoever, just his internet connection provided to him by the Mobile company in UK called Three.

Not only this. They also said to him that his passport is not issued from the country that he resides and (they implied clearly) that this raises the fraud risk factor. WHAT?????? In uk there are so many foreigners that most dont hold a UK passport. What is this?

This is 2 in a row. Solar VPS has declined 2 customers that were going to use their promotion for "alleged" high risk status.

Happy to provide name, addresses and everything this community wants so that you can see that Solar VPS DO NOT honour their promotion to customers who go out of their way to show they are legit.
    In no way are they not honoring their promotion. The title of this thread needs to be changed. They are simply reducing their risk by denying your order based on your risk factor. Any company can deny any potential customer service.
    http://www.bitaccel.com/ - High resource vps hosting and vps resellers.

Quote Originally Posted by YDGH-Corey View Post
    In no way are they not honoring their promotion. The title of this thread needs to be changed. They are simply reducing their risk by denying your order based on your risk factor. Any company can deny any potential customer service.
    Exactly. Whilst customers can choose which provider they want to go with, providers can choose which customers they accept. It's a two way street.
    Cloudstra - Join the cloud revolution!
    Provider of SSD powered Clouds! Visit our Facebook page for discounts!
    Full redundancy | Auto-failover | Enterprise Hardware | Instant scalability
    8 Cloud locations: Dallas, Chicago, Los Angeles, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, London, Sydney & Singapore

Yeah I dont think its that they are not honouring their promotion its just that they see you as a risk.

A few things you might want to consider here before implying that a host is using promo codes to lure customers then not honour it.

1) I can tell you from experience that putting on promo codes for VERY cheap starter deals brings in floods of fraudulent orders, so it is only natural that they have their defences on high.

2) Fraud orders for $1 can end up costing hosts around $70 in charges if a charge back is issued.

3) If your card is not registered to the same country as your IP this WILL flag a fraud alert on almost any host, frankly I would place your account on hold for this too.

4) If you are from another country and using a none country specific payment method and none of your information matches up albeit for legitimate reasons this really should not come as a surprise to you.

For $1 if anything triggers an alert the harsh reality is that most hosts will not entertain you as the risk is too great, coming here complaining about it and making out that they are not honouring a promo which is totally untrue just makes the host look good and proves that they run a tight ship!

I also use Three on occasion for access on the move and I can confirm that your connection appears to be proxied due to they way they operate the network, this is not the hosts fault or the hosts problem to resolve.

On a more constructive note, I suggest that you send in a copy of a cell phone bill and a utility bill that have your address on it along with your UK work permit which will no doubt satisfy their concerns.
    -> INCEPTION HOSTING LIMITED Since 2010!
    -> I am most active on the lowendspirit hosting forum Come join us!
    -> PHOENIX USA & THE NETHERLANDS & UK EU

I don't see anything wrong. They don't want to accept your payment. Go find another host, simple as that.

Hello,

I can understand why you are upset with our policies. It is true that we tend to be harder on fraud than many other companies but protecting ourselves and our customers is paramount to us. Since what one person can do on a VPS can be disruptive to others there, we must be mindful of every customer we place on our network.

Especially on a $1 promotional system the potential costs for $1 can be exhorbitant -- if in the case of fraud we can easily be smacked with fines for chargebacks from our processor. Or worse, we could lose our merchant account. Many merchant gateways don't allow for more than 1% chargebacks in a given period, and that amount is very easy to hit when you're running such an accessible promo.

In addition, These promos are targets for spammers and hackers because of the ease of accessibility and low-risk even if they don't use a fraudulent means of payment and therefore we must be very careful on screening.

In this specific case, the credit card BIN number returned to us did not match the country of residence, and we chose not to accept the order based on the risk factors involved. It is my understanding that you're using a virtual credit card number through entropay.com -- in this case, the BIN number they provided to you does not originate in the UK.

The virtual credit card service in question is unfortunately very commonly used by fraudsters to mask the true source of their payments -- hence the suspicion on our end. Just this week we've received over a dozen orders originating from China/Vietnam/Egypt/Turkey, some claiming to US addresses, with the same exact virtual credit card BIN number you used which is based in Malta -- I hope that helps to explain our suspicion more in depth.

I apologize for any inconvenience to you, of course, but we see it as too high risk to accept with the information we've been given at this time.

Thanks!
    Justin O'Leary :: Solar VPS / DedicatedNOW
    Tel: (201) 255-8050 Toll Free: (800) 799-1713

www.solarvps.com : sales@solarvps.com
    New Jersey & Los Angeles Unmanaged Linux & Windows Virtual Private Servers