Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is this allowed on a VPS ? Please help

Hello,

I was wondering if scanning for USA socks 4/5 from a VPS is allowed or is it illegal ?

If its allowed, do you know any providers that don't have anything against this practice ?

Or should I look for a dedicated server instead of a VPS ?

I am not that tech savvy and I appreciate your help, thank you.
      0 Not allowed!

This is port scanning and is usually against many hosts terms of service. It doesn't matter if you use a VPS or Dedicated Server, check their terms.
      0 Not allowed!

Thank you for your reply.

Do you know of any provider which allows port scanning ? On either one, vps or dedicated ?

Any other opinions ?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by BiggestPin View Post
    Hello,

I was wondering if scanning for USA socks 4/5 from a VPS is allowed or is it illegal ?

If its allowed, do you know any providers that don't have anything against this practice ?

Or should I look for a dedicated server instead of a VPS ?

I am not that tech savvy and I appreciate your help, thank you.
    Dedicated server or a VPS you will have the same issue. Providers do not want this on their network.

- Daniel
      0 Not allowed!

Thank you guys for the replies. I am not sure if this is illegal or not.
    Anyway, I assume most of the domestic USA providers don't allow this if its against the law in some states.
    Do you know of any other offshore reliable providers which may allow port scanning ?
    Thank you again
      0 Not allowed!

It is kind of bizarre to visit a forum where many participants expend significant effort defending against port scanning (and its associated hacking) and asking for advice on finding a host that allows it to be done.
      0 Not allowed!

Most likely this is not ok, but feel free to try the Find a Host option here on WHT and see if any hosts can help with it

Best of luck
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...
      0 Not allowed!

When you think you have seen it all on WHT, a thread like this comes along!
      0 Not allowed!

Welcome to WHT @ChrisFL This is one of many..
    IT & Hosting Solutions Rotherham - Virtual6 Ltd
    IT Distributor | IT Manufacturer | Hosted Products | Business IT Support
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks again.
    Lets get things straight. I have no idea about servers and vps and thats why I came here asking for help and guidance, not to be insulted and accused.
    Second, I have no intent to do anything illegal or hacking or anything like that, this is the main reason I am asking for a hosting company which allows this activity.
    Third, I plan to scan for socks 4/5 which are public from my knowledge and the IP's will be used for regular web browsing and thats it.
    So, if anyone can help me find a hosting company suited to my needs ? its great.
    I appreciate this forum and the people around either way.
      0 Not allowed!

Network/port scanning is (should be) forbidden by any decent ISP.

That being said, by the amount of port scanning i see from Amazon AWS address space i would say they don't care too much about these things.
      0 Not allowed!

Third, I plan to scan for socks 4/5 which are public from my knowledge and the IP's will be used for regular web browsing and thats it.
    Millions of people do 'regular web browsing' without the need for port scanning, and yet you need to do it?
      0 Not allowed!

Yes I need it, for advertising purposes. Why are you so disturbed by it ?
      0 Not allowed!

So, once again, can anyone recommend me a provider which has nothing against this type of activity ?

Thank you in advanced, I appreciate all answers.
      0 Not allowed!

Yes I need it, for advertising purposes. Why are you so disturbed by it ?
    What you call "advertising" is what I call spam. That makes you a parasite in the Internet community.

If you find a sleazy ISP to host with, you will find out why so many ISP's won't let you do what you want to do.

Your bad behavior gets their server IP addresses blacklisted.
      0 Not allowed!

Port scanning is considered "hostile" activity. If you port scan any US government website, they will send someone to tell you to knock it off (not from my personal experience, but from other people doing it at jobs where I was managing the network).

Basically, don't do it.
    |███| SSD Nodes
    |███| Build more for far less with the best value in cloud hosting.
    |███| RAID 10 SSDs | 10Gbps NICs | Tier-1 backbone | Scale without downtime | 9 years in business
    |███| https://www.ssdnodes.com
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SSD Nodes View Post
    If you port scan any US government website, they will send someone to tell you to knock it off
    With the high security in the US at the moment, They probley send a naval helicopter to circle you with guns blazing
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by cd/home View Post
    With the high security in the US at the moment, They probley send a naval helicopter to circle you with guns blazing
    That was funny lol
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
    What you call "advertising" is what I call spam. That makes you a parasite in the Internet community.

If you find a sleazy ISP to host with, you will find out why so many ISP's won't let you do what you want to do.

Your bad behavior gets their server IP addresses blacklisted.
    You have no clue about advertising and spam, rest assure I am not spamming and I am not engaged in any illegal activity. Heres a question for that bee brain of yours:

Why would I ask any advice if what I was doing was illegal or spammy ? And why would I comply with a hosting provider TOS ? Couldn't I just buy one, use it, get kicked and buy another one and so on ?

Answer: What I am doing and what I plan to do is beyond your comprehension and thats why I don't intend to explain it. Your judgement is full of flaws but I wont teach you about logic and arguments. You have a lot to learn about advertising.

Anyway, if I am an internet parasite you are what ... ?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjapanther-Greg View Post
    That was funny lol
    Funny indeed. I don't plan to scan gov sites or anything like that.

Thank you all for your replies. I would appreciate it if we could get back on the subject and if anyone can suggest a hosting provider which allows port scanning ? USA domestic or off-shore ?
      0 Not allowed!

Unless you can explain why you need to do this for legitimate activity I doubt you will receive any help here.

You claim to "have no idea about servers", yet you seem to require something very specific (and that someone who truly knows nothing would not be familiar with). Then, when asked why you need to be able to do this, first you say it's "for regular web browsing", then say it's "beyond our comprehension".

So if you truly want our help, you are going to need to explain exactly what you need and why. Without this information, we are not able to give any assistance. If you have a truly legitimate need for this capability, surely you don't have any problems explaining it, right?
    Last edited by VectorVPS; 02-07-2012 at 09:54 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

What reason would you need to port scan servers for "advertising" purposes? I'm curious.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by WhichGunDotCom View Post
    Unless you can explain why you need to do this for legitimate activity I doubt you will receive any help here.

You claim to "have no idea about servers", yet you seem to require something very specific (and that someone who truly knows nothing would not be familiar with). Then, when asked why you need to be able to do this, first you say it's "for regular web browsing", then say it's "beyond our comprehension".

So if you truly want our help, you are going to need to explain exactly what you need and why. Without this information, we are not able to give any assistance. If you have a truly legitimate need for this capability, surely you don't have any problems explaining it, right?
    I'm with this guy.

On top of that, this is a web hosting forum. There are a lot of savvy people here, I don't think it would be above any head here.
    http://www.bitaccel.com/ - High resource vps hosting and vps resellers.
      0 Not allowed!

I will try to answer your questions.

I am not a tech person but I am very specific to my needs because I hired a person who will manage the server for me and I took on the task to find a reliable provider since I am paying, so here I am.

The socks will be used for regular web browsing, with "beyond your comprehension" I was referring to the member who accused me and what I meant was its not easy or simple to explain how is this related to advertising and what or how I am doing exactly what I plan to do. Rest assured its nothing illegal or spammy or anything related to such activities. Since the ultimate goal is to make money I reserve the right to keep the details for myself. I hope nobody will be offended.

I learned about port scanning from a members post above, what I initially asked and what I need is US socks 4/5 which will be used for regular web browsing by me employees just like a proxy or vpn but this solution is cheaper in regards to the number of IPs. This is directly related to advertising and this is the part that is complicated.

Again, thank you for your replies, I appreciate the concerns from the community.
    If you can suggest such a provider please do so.
      0 Not allowed!

I'm not defending the op here (I'm actually against his intentions) but port scanning can be used as a security measure if you are checking to make sure only specific ports on another server you already own is open. I think this is a legitimite use of the requirement (port scanning in general).

Now then you should never port scan an IP without the owner's consent. So just randomly scanning for open ports is not advisable and can cause your service to be suspended or terminated by the provider.

Given that there are providers who are almost completely hands off where they will let you do what you want assuming it isn't illegal and doesn't result in a distributed denial of service attack.

Now then. The op's post said he wanted to scan for Socks 4/5 proxies. Well good luck because that will get your account suspended eventually on any provider. That will not be permitted by anyone since you will be falling into paragraph 2 above. If you need a proxy beyond what is out there for free then you will just have to go and subscribe to one. No way around that.

FYI - Port scanning my server's IP will likely end up getting your IP temporarily blocked since it may be detected as a hostile activity.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast