Thread: VPS latency

VPS latency

I've a VPS (level-3) with Hostgator (USA). Most of my website visitors are european like me (italy). Since the site is not very fast (I already cached and optimized it) I'd like to know, in your opinion, in which way a VPS located in a continent can affect the latency and so the page loading. Which is the order of magnitude (secs, millisecs, etc.)?
    Thank you in advance for your answers.

Hm, you will always have 100ms+ on each and every tcp-packet if you host in the US and have users in Europe. Us-west expect 250-350ms, us-east 150-200ms. I suggest that you get a VPS in Europe if your users is in Europe. Alternative use a VPS I eu for caching and a geo-location aware dns. You will never get "good" latency over the Atlantic, the light must travel the distance and there is almost nothing you can do about it except move closer to your clients or build caches/nodes/edges closer to them (and you).

//T

EU-US will have an effect. East Coast is normally 120ms from most well-connected parts of Europe; while West Coast is normally >200ms.

This will be higher as rnts says from less-connected parts of Europe (e.g. ISPs instead of datacenters)

Thanky you rnts for your answer. So, if a page loads in 4 secs with Hostgator (US) if I move on an European VPS the same page can load in about half second less (250ms multiplied 2), 3.5 secs, right?
    How I can build nodes/edges closer to my visitors?

Right , the above explanations must have made you aware with the difference between , US based and Europe based hosted VPS and what will be the difference in it.

You should go for a Europe based VPS which will be the best thing for you.

The server is in Dallas, so I think the latency shall be between 120 and 250 as you said.
    Since over than 80% of visitors are italian, do you think there is big difference between an european VPS and an italian VPS? Or is negligible?

Quote Originally Posted by Avionicom View Post
    The server is in Dallas, so I think the latency shall be between 120 and 250 as you said.
    Since over than 80% of visitors are italian, do you think there is big difference between an european VPS and an italian VPS? Or is negligible?
    Do a test with THIS located in London on a FutureHosting VPS.

Awesome, compliments! Is very very fast.

Awesome, compliments! Is very very fast.
    I'm in Spain.....and it's very quick for me too.

But bear in mind it isn't just the location, it's also on a quality VPS from a premium provider.....so put that lot together and you see the result.

Unfortunately Italy connectivity to most European countries is not that good. I suggest you a Milan or Frankfurt VPS. You may want to take a look at Flarevm, Prometeus (iperweb) and Dynaceron.
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough

Getting your hosting as close to the majority of your visitors as possible is by far the most effective way of speeding things up. Not only will the latency be superior, but often the download rate will be faster too. You'll notice when using FTP and such that it's considerably snappier too.

Beyond that, of course choosing the right host is critical. I personally can't think of any VPS host to recommend more strongly than Linode, as the performance is pretty much incredible (mostly due to their particularly generous way of managing CPU but I'm sure the hardware/configuration is relevant too).

Thanky you rnts for your answer. So, if a page loads in 4 secs with Hostgator (US) if I move on an European VPS the same page can load in about half second less (250ms multiplied 2), 3.5 secs, right?
    How I can build nodes/edges closer to my visitors?
    No problems, I think you will get faster response/loading times than 3,5 seconds if it loads in 4 seconds now, I don't know how "big" your front-page is but consider that each packet sent over the wire which is roughly 1,5kb(1500MTU) in size takes 100-200ms to go from your VPS to your visitor. As an example; if your front-page is 50kb (not unusual for WordPress-sites) it will take approximately 35 packets to transfer and if we use 100ms RTA(ping) for the sake of this calculation you are looking at 3,5s (3500ms) to just move the data across the wire, and if you move to a location with 30ms RTA(ping) to your server you are looking at roughly 1 second to transfer the data (1050ms). Not including any generation/rendering-times of course.

Your absolutely best bet is to try to find a good solution in Europe, for example in Frankfurt or Amsterdam with fast internet-access (close to the big providers and internet-exchanges).

I'm not aware of any Italy-based VPS-providers, but any good provider with decent connectivity and network-mix in their package will do wonders.

//T
    Last edited by rnts; 02-07-2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: spelling/wording.
    QuickVZ - Enterprise VPS Hosting, High-End Dedicated Servers & Co-location Services
    http://www.quickvz.com

Quote Originally Posted by rnts View Post
    As an example; if your front-page is 50kb (not unusual for WordPress-sites) it will take approximately 35 packets to transfer and if we use 100ms RTA(ping) for the sake of this calculation you are looking at 3,5s (3500ms) to just move the data across the wire, and if you move to a location with 30ms RTA(ping) to your server you are looking at roughly 1 second to transfer the data (1050ms).
    You are completely wrong. This is not as TCP works and you are mixing latency with data throughput.

Just to give you an idea of the differences you can expect:
    ping from Italy (residential line) to different servers (averages)
    VPS in Atlanta (US East Coast): 160ms
    VPS in Dusseldorf (Germany): 78ms
    Server (shared hosting) in Dallas (Central US): 180ms
    Server (shared hosting) in Dronten (Netherlands): 80ms
    Server (shared hosting) in Montreal (Canada East Coast): 164ms

the following are the same tests run from just-ping.com (Italy > Padova)
    VPS in Atlanta (US East Coast): 124ms
    VPS in Dusseldorf (Germany): 18ms
    Server (shared hosting) in Dallas (Central US): 169ms
    Server (shared hosting) in Dronten (Netherlands): 40ms
    Server (shared hosting) in Montreal (Canada East Coast): 114ms

Quote Originally Posted by Fed83 View Post
    Just to give you an idea of the differences you can expect:
    Actually it is what you can expect from your residential line and from the Just-Ping server.

Quote Originally Posted by dotHostel View Post
    Actually it is what you can expect from your residential line and from the Just-Ping server.
    you're right, poorly worded sentence. Not the difference in loading times for the website but just the difference in ping times for those locations from an average residential line. And the just ping values are just for taking out the last mile problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Fed83 View Post
    you're right, poorly worded sentence. Not the difference in loading times for the website but just the difference in ping times for those locations from an average residential line. And the just ping values are just for taking out the last mile problem.
    In other words, I was saying that for THAT routes you have that latencies but that test is not conclusive to decide where to host your server. At least the OP should check the latency and routes from large Italian ISPs to the VPS, from available LGs to the VPS, to discard inconsistent data.

Surely not the case, but If you are intending to serve a country with the lowest latency one strategy is to deploy edge servers located at the main ISPs (like Akamai) or/and (private) peering points (like Google, Microsoft, and others).
    Last edited by dotHostel; 02-07-2012 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dotHostel View Post
    You are completely wrong. This is not as TCP works and you are mixing latency with data throughput.
    I'm sure you are aware about how they do work and that they do have a very close "relationship" but mixing in BDP and all various available network speeds is just stupid for this example.

The point I'm making is that with lower latency his homepage will load faster, no matter the BDP or actual speed of his "internet".

I did not state anywhere that the calculation is exact or accurate or include every possible variation and variable.

This guy does not need cdn unless the US market is equally or more important than the Italian market or audience, best solution is still to move to an eu based VPS.

//T

Quote Originally Posted by rnts View Post
    I'm sure you are aware about how they do work and that they do have a very close "relationship" but mixing in BDP and all various available network speeds is just stupid for this example.

The point I'm making is that with lower latency his homepage will load faster, no matter the BDP or actual speed of his "internet".

I did not state anywhere that the calculation is exact or accurate or include every possible variation and variable.

This guy does not need cdn unless the US market is equally or more important than the Italian market or audience, best solution is still to move to an eu based VPS.

//T
    The point you are making is you don't have a clue about that you are saying.

Then correct me if I'm wrong, so fr you've sounded as an asshat with zero usable advice. And to be honest it doesn't sound as you have a real clue about how it works at all if you claim that latency has nothing to do with passing packets over the 'net.
    Last edited by rnts; 02-07-2012 at 01:33 PM.

With regards to Italy, Milan is the right choice. Most of the biggest Italian providers have their servers there, as it is very well connected to the rest of Europe.

Obviously, since your costumers are mostly Italians, Germany will be always slower than Italy.
    FlareVM.com: Affordable and flexible European Xen VPS
    Windows and Linux VPS plans with instant setup