Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

$15 a year VPS nearly always in stock?

I have customers wanting to use my web-based software very inexpensively on a trial basis. I would like to setup each of them on his own cheap VPS, but most of the companies offering these super-budget low-resource VPS's are "out of stock" only minutes after their offers are announced online.

Do you know of any that consistently have them in stock?

I only need 64MB RAM for these VPS's and I hope to standardize my offering based on a single VPS provider so I do not have to deal with multiple hosts, different control panels, different OS versions, etc. Immediate provisioning would be nice too, but not a necessity.

You might consider setting up your own small dedicated server with virtualization software so you can deploy the trials at will.

Quote Originally Posted by GORF View Post
    You might consider setting up your own small dedicated server with virtualization software so you can deploy the trials at will.
    Yes of course -- some day -- but right now I prefer to honor a budget VPS provider with my all business, assuming I can find one that makes enough money on these tiny packages to keep them in stock and available for me to buy on-demand for my software customers.

$15 a year for a VPS is a loss leader, hence why many hosts will have a very small quantity of them, and they base the fact they will make a loss on them few, but hope people will purchase a normal package when they find out the smaller package is sold out.

No company can possibly make a profit on just over $1.2 a month on a VPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Merrick View Post
    $15 a year for a VPS is a loss leader, hence why many hosts will have a very small quantity of them, and they base the fact they will make a loss on them few, but hope people will purchase a normal package when they find out the smaller package is sold out.

Speak for yourself, they only cost us around $5/y to run

Francisco
    Last edited by DeltaAnime; 02-05-2012 at 12:40 PM.

The secret is having your own IP space along with decent hardware

BuyVM does exactly this...

I also believe they use 8 disk Sata Raid-10 arrays in the servers this alone will give you SAS grade performance more or less whiles reducing your cost overhead on the disk array.
    Last edited by Server Management; 02-05-2012 at 12:44 PM.

miniVPS, 123Systems, BuyVM

Quote Originally Posted by cd/home View Post

I also believe they use 8 disk Sata Raid-10 arrays in the servers this alone will give you SAS grade performance more or less whiles reducing your cost overhead on the disk array.
    8 disks is alot of space for a small rack server...unless it's not small to begin with

Quote Originally Posted by ziggo0 View Post
    8 disks is alot of space for a small rack server...unless it's not small to begin with
    1 or 2U isn't that much...

Your app will be used for year ?

or you can buy one month vps and you can offer trial to your clients.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitcable View Post
    1 or 2U isn't that much...
    I've not seen many 1U or 2U cases with provisions for 8 disks unless I'm not looking hard enough...care to enlighten? I'd be interested in them if I could find them heh.

I've not seen many 1U or 2U cases with provisions for 8 disks unless I'm not looking hard enough...care to enlighten? I'd be interested in them if I could find them heh.
    2U: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811152095
    1U: http://www.supermicro.com/products/s...-1026T-URF.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    I wouldn't call those nearly always in stock, more like once or twice a month. Although, buyvm will sell canceled server slots last I checked but you have to wait for someone to cancel, which isn't likely with them.
    I do know there are a few vps resellers that will let you actually buy say 256mb of ram or more and allow you to deploy vps plans based off the spacing you buy. Not a vps within a vps. I cannot recommend any as the only one I have used was average at best. But it wouldn't be too expensive and multiple trial vps's could be ran at once.
    Running a similar 1u 8 drive system now. I hate the layout of the drives but they work. Stacked in groups of two and then the last two aren't. Not a big deal but still annoys me.

Supermicro and HP I believe do this, last time I tried to get more than 2-4 drives with dell they set you up with 2u systems. Power isn't an issue, space is for one location.
    Last edited by techjr; 02-05-2012 at 04:40 PM.

I don't know where you get your information from but we are rarely ever out of stock on standard plans.

Quote Originally Posted by HR-Martin View Post
    I don't know where you get your information from but we are rarely ever out of stock on standard plans.
    I really meant 123 systems and buyvm. I don't have experience with minivps since the domain isn't old enough for me to personally sign up. Sorry for the mispost.

Quote Originally Posted by cd/home View Post

I'm sorry but if you own your own Hardware/IP space there is still more than a $15/year cost related to hosting a VPS. Just in support, power, bandwidth cost. No company that is looking to make a profit could look into a long term profit on $15/year. Like I said yes running it as a loss making/0 profit package.

Clearly you don't know what you're talking about. I and some others are managing quite well.

I'm sorry but if you own your own Hardware/IP space there is still more than a $15/year cost related to hosting a VPS. Just in support, power, bandwidth cost. No company that is looking to make a profit could look into a long term profit on $15/year. Like I said yes running it as a loss making/0 profit package.
    You dont have one VPS per server you know...

You thinking small on this business model the profit comes with the volume, These are unmanaged VPSes so support tickets will be few and far, If your happy to head on a 12 month contract for colocation this will reduce overhead VS monthly colocation costs...

If you sold some 1000 of these @ $15.00/year thats $15k per year before any deductions you could easily host all that from a half cabinet, Now multiple it by 2 and take advantage of a full rack thats some $30k per year...

Again your thinking small...
    Last edited by Server Management; 02-05-2012 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by techjr View Post
    I really meant 123 systems and buyvm. I don't have experience with minivps since the domain isn't old enough for me to personally sign up. Sorry for the mispost.
    A domain being around for years is no guarantee that a VPS won't go deadpool. cripperz.sg was registered in 2006 and went deadpool last week.

Even if miniVPS went MIA, I wouldn't cry in my oatmeal over $15/year.
    Not that I think they're going anywhere.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811152095

Is more or less what we use. We got some chassis that can accept 12 drives, but we only put 8 in them. If you shop around you can get chassis really cheap and they work great.

We're working to change our stocking policies to try to have stock every month on an ongoing schedule, but that'll take time

Francisco

Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by vktj View Post
    A domain being around for years is no guarantee that a VPS won't go deadpool. cripperz.sg was registered in 2006 and went deadpool last week.
    I agree with you, I personally just wait a bit longer with budget hosts, a lot do fine but when it comes time to expand or get more staff is when they burn.
    Even if miniVPS went MIA, I wouldn't cry in my oatmeal over $15/year.
    Not that I think they're going anywhere.
    Neither do I.

There are some amazing deals, the hurricane electric facility you could get a full rack with power, a gbit of bandwidth through a reseller for 1k a month. It's not too far off to think that when a host has multiple servers filled with clients that a single server offering a vps for 15 a year using the last bit of power and less than 100mbit of bandwidth isn't at a loss. I doubt there is much to be made from it but certainly you can still sell them without losing profits.

minivps.co.uk to be a good solution for you

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaAnime View Post
    Speak for yourself, they only cost us around $5/y to run
    I have a VPS with you, Francisco. I wish I could buy more but you've been sold out for a while now. This is the only problem I have with standardizing my service offerings based on BuyVM.

In an effort to provide the best service for my customers, I feel I should recommend a host that is good *AND* has the appropriate VPS package in stock when my customer needs it.

It is extremely time-consuming and inconvenient for me to shop around for an available VPS when one of my customers wants one. If I had a host that would sell me one whenever I need it, I could serve my customer's needs much more efficiently.

Question:

Is it the nature of the business to be "out of stock" most of the time, and only offer more VPS's only when a new server is put into production?

The reason I ask is because it seems that many budget VPS providers have stock only for an hour or a day, then they are out for the next several weeks. If this is the way it works for most budget hosts -- because they only sell when they put a new server online -- then I doubt I will ever find a host who can provide the service I desire.

The next best thing might be for budget hosts to offer a "preferred customer email list" system that I might subscribe to -- so that I can be notified FIRST whenever a new budget VPS becomes available with them. I don't suppose any budget hosts offer this level of service, do they?

MiniVPS cheaoest package on their website is $26 per year
    123Systems is "sold out"
    BuyVM $15 package is "sold out"

Please, no more posts recommending SOLD OUT providers, or providers selling for more than $15 a year. Every one of these recommendations is precisely wrong for my needs -- thus the reason why I asked for hosts with VPS's in stock and available for immediate provisioning.

Quote Originally Posted by public_html View Post
    Your app will be used for year? Or you can buy one month vps and you can offer trial to your clients.
    I could possibly pre-purchase some, but even this is not something I can count on given the few hours a month that most budget hosts are "in stock" before they are sold out again for who knows how long.

Besides, most of my customers will upgrade their VPS's and remain with the same host if the service is good. Therefore it will be better if they get their own VPS from the start. This eliminates the need for me to run a trial service, and lets me focus on more important things.

They're mostly out of stock while they keep things sustainable. I'd prefer that then them not scaling up efficiently.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast