Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    least WAY BETTER than those hand held cam videos that people download
    Uh, yea, no.
    Bluray rips are nearly always already available in the Warez scene before Netflix even added the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhang View Post
    Uh, yea, no.
    Bluray rips are nearly always already available in the Warez scene before Netflix even added the movie.
    True but my point is if there were many netflix-like services and those services stream those titles right away, piracy wouldn't exist for movies (at least it will be almost non-existant)

Quote Originally Posted by ShyGuy82 View Post
    True but my point is if there were many netflix-like services and those services stream those titles right away, piracy wouldn't exist for movies (at least it will be almost non-existant)
    Piracy will always be around because those companies such as NetFlix have "control" over users or want to. Piracy doesn't have that problem.

There is actually many services such as NetFlix that revolve around pirating material. They make it easier for users to stream over their mobile , computer , TV. I can't show you, say the name, or link to it because that would go against this forums rule.

Piracy (Quality? Speed? Bandwidth? Service? Price? Release Time? Content?) > _NetFlix_ & Others.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon-Orqoo View Post
    Copyright infringement does NOT deny their rights!
    Yes it does.

Your argument boils down 'Don't worry babe, just because I raped you doesn't mean some other sucker won't marry ya'.

Of greater concern to me, is that it denies competitors the ability to compete on price, hinders innovation etc.
    Freelance C# Programmer

Note to all: Please remember that not all scenarios need HDD level availability.

Quote Originally Posted by peruviantalk View Post
    Piracy will always be around because those companies such as NetFlix have "control" over users or want to. Piracy doesn't have that problem.

There is actually many services such as NetFlix that revolve around pirating material. They make it easier for users to stream over their mobile , computer , TV. I can't show you, say the name, or link to it because that would go against this forums rule.

Piracy (Quality? Speed? Bandwidth? Service? Price? Release Time? Content?) > _NetFlix_ & Others.
    That's only because netflix and other CO, don't have agreements with movie studios to stream it RIGHT AWAY. But if they did (at least for movies), why would anyone try to download a rip?

I'm not saying that piracy will end but it will be a lot smaller in numbers than what it is today.

Quote Originally Posted by ShyGuy82 View Post
    That's only because netflix and other CO, don't have agreements with movie studios to stream it RIGHT AWAY. But if they did (at least for movies), why would anyone try to download a rip?

I'm not saying that piracy will end but it will be a lot smaller in numbers than what it is today.
    The movie industry could literally near completely end piracy overnight just by allowing easy, affordable, DRM-free (use fingerprinting or something so you know who to sue), 1080+ streaming of almost anything, on same day or couple days after release schedule.

But due to licensing/legal/old people, this is not going to happen, and they will sit back and cry and complain about their "loss"

Quote Originally Posted by gpl24 View Post
    For the record, I am not in the USA, nor was my content in question generated in the USA. Nothing, other than the DMCA's I've sent, are American.
    If neither party is in the U.S., then what ever gave the impression that you could use U.S. copyright laws and takedown procedures to address the problem ? The Netherlands are a WIPO member, so they have WIPO-compliant copyright legislation in place to handle your request, but you must follow their procedures.

You are clearly not an attorney, perhaps you should hire one to show you how to handle copyright infringement issues. Complaining that Leaseweb did not honour your invalid takedown request is never going to change the fact that they are not bound by the law you mistakenly quoted. It is very foolish and risky to act in ignorance of the law, and get you in even bigger trouble than the web site operator(s) you're trying to contact.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    LOL. You should see how much Eric from RYC loves us. Our lawyer had a friendly chat with him about a year ago. We don't tolerate his broad requests.

We stand for our customers and honor requests as long as they are legit requests and follow the law.
    Zak showed them who's boss.

I usually don't like Leaseweb (although I have 2 servers with them against my will - they bought Netdirekt) but this time I'll make an exception.

@OP

Only the Dutch court says the file is illegal, then it IS illegal to Leaseweb.

BTW, can you tell me the name of the China hosting company you mentioned, i'll give them a finger
    hello there

Quote Originally Posted by TalentHouse Hosting View Post
    So not true.. Someone has invested millions of dollars creating the file. The purpose was to sell the rights to use it, not the file itself.

They are entitled to money for your usage of the file. Otherwise people will stop creating files and you will be left with nothing
    It does not matter whether you spent X or Y amount in something and if you are expecting or not ( or it its 'fair' ) to get less than what you ve invested.
    You are mixing economy stuff with law matters ( I m not adopting sides )

DMCA has no business in europe. Europe has it's own laws regarding this. See European electronic commerce directive.

(Yeah didn't read the whole thread).

I hate it when people keep insisting DMCA trumps anything and is a global law (World law), while it is not. I guess ignorance is a bliss.

EDIT:
    What i'm trying to say that any self respecting EU citizen will straight /dev/null DMCA requests and only act on those which conforms to EU/his own country's law.
    50%+ of the DMCA requests i see are false, 90% of them have been made hard to read (ie. missing line changes), 100% requires to breach some serious customer privacy laws, 100% of them would require me to know customer's law and rights, along with possession, with a myriad of other issues.
    So basicly, acting on the DMCA notices which has no business in EU, would require me to take illegal actions, proactive monitoring of customers (prohibited by EU ecommerce directive!), take responsibility for customer actions on their behalf, and last but not least: Open me to some serious jail time, especially on the breaches of personal privacy of customers.

There is EU and local laws concerning these, if they want material taken down, they have to follow that law, and i'll happily conform to the requests, to the extent of our law. But i'm not going to commit crimes to bow down to the media monopoly overlords and let rampant censorship and violations of personal rights to go on.
    Last edited by NuCode; 03-19-2012 at 02:50 AM.
    Pulsed Media: Dedicated Servers and Seedboxes

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567