Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,410

    BurstNET Ignores DMCA's?

    I've seen numerous threads in the past, and it seems to be true.

    We sent over a DMCA Sunday and yet to hear back aside from a generic reply early Monday Morning. Is there some sort of escalation path for BurstNET?

    Sent to abuse@burst.net and abuse@hostnoc.net with no avail.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,566
    Ignore or slower then what you hoped?
    cPanel, CloudLinux, Softaculous ℵ Off Site Backups, Redundant DNS

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,837
    I wish more providers would ignore DMCA's. (I'm sure BurstNET are not -actually- ignoring them...)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    2,086
    It is burst after all give them a week or two and you might get a response back
    YourWayHosting | Equinix Chicago | Dupont Fabros Chicago
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    Premium hosting without the Price
    Email Us: Admin[at]YourWayHosting.com Visit Us: www.yourwayhosting.com

  5. #5
    I assure you that BurstNET does _not_ ignore DMCAs. I'm certain that you can find threads in which we are accused of being far too strict when it comes to abuse and, in particular, infringement.

    Please keep in mind that there are some issues we cannot discuss in detail with complainants, beyond acknowledgements of receipt. The "generic" reply may be all that we are able to provide.

    Note: When sending a complaint to us, if you do not receive an initial acknowledgement and ticket number, it is likely we do not have your complaint and you should try sending it again.
    Last edited by BurstNET CS; 02-02-2012 at 01:35 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    2,504
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I wish more providers would ignore DMCA's. (I'm sure BurstNET are not -actually- ignoring them...)
    I disagree. Personally written DMCA notices should be respected at all hosts as is only polite to the copyright holder.

    Mass-mailed automated DMCA notices, however, are an annoyance everyone could do without. They however, still need respected unfortunately.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,410
    Quote Originally Posted by Flapadar View Post
    I disagree. Personally written DMCA notices should be respected at all hosts as is only polite to the copyright holder.

    Mass-mailed automated DMCA notices, however, are an annoyance everyone could do without. They however, still need respected unfortunately.
    Agreed, Automated Notifications from BayTSP/Irdeto are annoying, but in this case it was a more or less formal notice of Trademark Infringement.

    Quote Originally Posted by BurstAbuseDept View Post
    I assure you that BurstNET does _not_ ignore DMCAs. I'm certain that you can find threads in which we are accused of being far too strict when it comes to abuse and, in particular, infringement.

    Please keep in mind that there are some issues we cannot discuss in detail with complainants, beyond acknowledgements of receipt. The "generic" reply may be all that we are able to provide.

    Note: When sending a complaint to us, if you do not receive an initial acknowledgement and ticket number, it is likely we do not have your complaint and you should try sending it again.
    Someone closed the ticket without resolving the issue. I've PMed you the tickets, they are sequential of each other.

    Hello,

    We hope that we have addressed this matter, to your satisfaction. At this time, this ticket is being closed.

    If you have any related questions, please feel free to re-open this ticket.

    Requests pertaining to unrelated issues should be addressed in new tickets.

    Thank you for contacting BurstNET.

    --
    Anees Thottikkulayan.
    Support Technician
    BurstNET - A Worldwide Leader in Web Hosting and Internet Solutions
    Scranton, Pennsylvania (USA) - http://www.burst.net
    Manchester (UK) - http://www.burstnet.eu

    *****************************************************************
    Join the community on the redesigned BurstNET Forums!
    News, Service Advisories, Discussions, Product Support and More!
    http://forums.burst.net
    *****************************************************************

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,410
    Quote Originally Posted by ezbnc View Post
    It is burst after all give them a week or two and you might get a response back
    Even Oron and Leaseweb are faster..

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    821
    "Trademark infringements" aren't covered under the DMCA.
    Your faithful student,
    Twilight Sparkle

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Flapadar View Post
    I disagree. Personally written DMCA notices should be respected at all hosts as is only polite to the copyright holder.

    Mass-mailed automated DMCA notices, however, are an annoyance everyone could do without. They however, still need respected unfortunately.
    I wish the mass automailer was made illegal in DMCA... That'd be awesome.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,410
    Quote Originally Posted by aeris View Post
    "Trademark infringements" aren't covered under the DMCA.
    Thanks for your input. Keep in mind I'm generalizing what was sent to BurstNET and has yet to be acted upon.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,084
    First of all the company doesn't have to really reply on your DMCA, its the customer that has.

    This means its quite polite for them to reply but they pass this DMCA to the client. Sending a DMCA doesn't mean you are right by default. A customer can reply back to the DMCA if he considers your claim is false for example.

    In this case, they usually send the DMCA to the client, if he doesn't respond they proceed with a take down if their TOS says so. But like I said a client can respond to the DMCA because sometime the DMCA is not valid. It would not be the first time someone abusing the DMCA to take down a competitor. I don't say this is your case, but it happens.

    I know for a fact that some companies will ignore a DMCA if its not legally written, this means its written properly and complies with a correct DMCA request. Usually when your personal data is missing, the claimer or some other data is incorrect they can discard the DMCA completely. But usually they will instruct you to send it again, they would not tell you what is indeed wrong, but they will tell you to send the DMCA again in a proper format and correctly. This is my experience at least.

    Mass emailing DMCA is truly abusive and I could consider them completely false and illegal. A DMCA has to be written personally as you are stating the information is accurate and true. Now if you mass email a DMCA, and it contains fake details, you can be sued for this. Because you are using a legal tool to make false statements.

    Im not sure if trademarks are covered under DMCA, this could be a reason why they don't reply.

    You need to allow some days for a reply. First the company receives it, then they pass this to the customer. Usually you would first contact the abuser or client, if he doesn't reply, then you contact the hosting compnay, which will try to contact the client as well with your request. If he still doesn't reply then they can actually shut them down for not responding, but if he does, they need to pass their claim back to you. Or the customer will reply that he took the content off.

    Google for example claimed that %, I think it was 30% of DMCA´s received where false targeting competing business.
    Last edited by nibb; 02-02-2012 at 05:30 PM.
    PingHosters - Expert community for hosters - NEW: Post Reviews

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,410
    Quote Originally Posted by nibb View Post
    First of all the company doesn't have to really reply on your DMCA, its the customer that has.
    True, however failing to take action relinquishes them of their safe harbor.

    Quote Originally Posted by nibb View Post
    This means its quite polite for them to reply but they pass this DMCA to the client. Sending a DMCA doesn't mean you are right by default. A customer can reply back to the DMCA if he considers your claim is false for example.
    Well aware of how DMCA works..

    Quote Originally Posted by nibb View Post
    In this case, they usually send the DMCA to the client, if he doesn't respond they proceed with a take down if their TOS says so. But like I said a client can respond to the DMCA because sometime the DMCA is not valid. It would not be the first time someone abusing the DMCA to take down a competitor. I don't say this is your case, but it happens.
    Considering we've done this for over 10 Years under numerous other brands there is nothing wrong with how our DMCA's and UDRP Notices are formatted.

    Quote Originally Posted by nibb View Post
    Mass emailing DMCA is truly abusive and I could consider them completely false and illegal. A DMCA has to be written personally as you are stating the information is accurate and true. Now if you mass email a DMCA, and it contains fake details, you can be sued for this. Because you are using a legal tool to make false statements.
    To be frank, there isn't really an effective way of sending DMCA's without any form of automation. Automation is key in the fight against piracy.

    Quote Originally Posted by nibb View Post
    Google for example claimed that %, I think it was 30% of DMCA´s received where false targeting competing business.
    Well aware. I love how you're portraying us as this shady organization who doesn't know squat about the internet by essentially dumbing down the DMCA Process
    Last edited by GCM; 02-02-2012 at 05:38 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,084
    No I didn't. I never said this and I did not said you DMCA is not valid. I just said give them sometime to reply. You cannot expect them to act in 1 hour, you opened this thread today and they already replied. My comments where for general readers. Not for anyone in particular.

    I'm sure if your claim is valid they will act. But everyone want everyone else dancing around their heads and Im sure they have other requests to research first. Maybe they are understaffed, I don't know. It would not be the first time you read here in WHT that burst is slow or not replying, so I don´t see why they would take a hi priority on non customers issues first.

    Unless you send them the claims weeks ago.

    Can we know when you send them the DMCA?

    If you never received a Ticket like they said, then they never received it. And since you confirm you use automation for this it probably landed on the Spam folder.
    PingHosters - Expert community for hosters - NEW: Post Reviews

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,410
    Quote Originally Posted by nibb View Post
    No I didn't. I never said this and I did not said you DMCA is not valid. I just said give them sometime to reply. You cannot expect them to act in 1 hour, you opened this thread today and they already replied.
    If you look in my first post, we essentially have waited for 4 Days without action (Opened Sunday). Average takedowns occur within 24 hours or less from companies far larger than BurstNET.

    Quote Originally Posted by nibb View Post
    Unless you send them the claims weeks ago.

    Can we know when you send them the DMCA?

    If you never received a Ticket like they said, then they never received it. And since you confirm you use automation for this it probably landed on the Spam folder.
    See above. While we do use automation, the emails aren't spammy and personalized to a degree. I can confirm they did receive the tickets.

    {100-3090448}
    {100-3090449}

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How does the BurstNET deal with the DMCA notice?
    By goddesschi in forum VPS Hosting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-01-2011, 12:56 PM
  2. BurstNet.cheat BurstNet.Carelessness BurstNet.presumption
    By Burst Lover in forum Dedicated Server
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-19-2003, 12:27 PM
  3. Host ignores me, any advice what to do?
    By mabra in forum Web Hosting
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-12-2001, 11:09 PM

Related Posts from theWHIR.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •