Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Repair

* Computer Repair

How much would you pay to have a computer checked/fixed(in terms of a virus of BSoD)

How far would you drive for to have your computer fixed?

What would most likely get you to try a new service?

Just wondering.

Like most people on this forum I can fix my own computer and thus wouldn't drive anywhere. I think a fair price for something like that would be sub $100. The exact price would depend on how fast, thorough, and helpful the service was.

I would assume that Best Buy's rates are somewhat of a benchmark for the going rates in a given area.
    BudgetVM - VPS and Dedicated servers
    Mike Gazzerro, Account Manager
    Chicago, Miami, Dallas, Los Angeles
    DDOS protection on every IP on every server.

i think if the virus would be serious i would just format my pc and reinstall the OS my self and that's it and i would backup my documents also

I wouldn't pay more than $100 and I wouldn't travel more than 10 miles. However, if I was truly in need of this service, and you came to me, I might be willing to pay a bit more.

I just tried to think of it from a complete outsider's perspective who has no knowledge. The only problem is you can get new computers these days for $300-400 dollars. If you start charging $100-200 I might consider just saving up for a new PC since I consider this one "slow & damaged" already.

Common consumers these days . I don't imagine you'll have an enormous market .. but you might be able to do use it as a side gig to compliment another service....
    Doug, Sales Leader
    VPS | KVM SSD & SATA VPS | Dedicated Servers | Colocation
    99.999% Uptime | 24x7x365 Support | Global Data Centers
    www.bigbrainglobal.com | Big Brain Global Networks

The ironic thing is that when I did desktop/networking for a small company, I used freely available tools to remove malware and they paid for it.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoker View Post
    The ironic thing is that when I did desktop/networking for a small company, I used freely available tools to remove malware and they paid for it.
    They have to charge for labor . As long as you weren't reselling free software it shouldn't be an issue, ethically or legally, right? Although I agree it is rather ironic. What software?
    Doug, Sales Leader
    VPS | KVM SSD & SATA VPS | Dedicated Servers | Colocation
    99.999% Uptime | 24x7x365 Support | Global Data Centers
    www.bigbrainglobal.com | Big Brain Global Networks

The usual software. Adaware, Spybot S&D, MalwareBytes, and the specific malware apps supplied free by Norton.

Quote Originally Posted by Techy View Post
    The only problem is you can get new computers these days for $300-400 dollars. If you start charging $100-200 I might consider just saving up for a new PC
    Solid point.

Following the same logic but on an unrelated note: for about 2 years I'd buy open box inkjet printers at Best Buy for about $20-$30 and run it until it ran out of ink. I'd throw it away (or sell it for $10) and go get a new printer next time I needed more ink. I realize the "starter" cartridges are smaller, but I'm pretty sure I came out ahead because of the cost of ink.
    BudgetVM - VPS and Dedicated servers
    Mike Gazzerro, Account Manager
    Chicago, Miami, Dallas, Los Angeles
    DDOS protection on every IP on every server.

Quote Originally Posted by BiggyMike View Post
    How much would you pay to have a computer checked/fixed(in terms of a virus of BSoD)

How far would you drive for to have your computer fixed?

What would most likely get you to try a new service?

Just wondering.
    I wouldn't since I can do this myself, but $100 might be reasonable like Techy said. Lots of folks don't know the first thing about clearing viruses, and even though a new computer may only be 300 to 400 dollars, most of time they're concerned with the data they have on the infected computer, or all the programs they've downloaded or installed like Office or Photoshop. That data can be immensely more valuable than the computer itself.
    Infusing Markets LLC
    We are a digital interactive marketing agency
    Specializing in SEO | Web Design | Local Citations
    Bottom Line - We help businesses succeed!

Personally, $100 is worth it as opposed to an entire day spent configuring, loading apps, and updating. That really sucks big time.

Depends on what your time is worth.

I would prefer to seek some online help from a freelancer at fiverr or odesk at cheap rates rather than paying $100. This will be my last option if I can't do it myself or can't get any online help also.

Most people on this forum can probably handle such a simple task themselves. However, I usually see people on craigslist and other ads charging around $25-50 flat for these services. How do you know someone is actually competent to work on your computer though if you yourself aren't?

Everyone should educate themselves on basic computer management skills, because how can you trust a stranger to fix your personal machines without compromising your data & security? I've seen countless articles about computer services ripping people off and stealing their data or identities.
    GorillaServers Inc | Direct Unmetered Dedicated Servers

Anything happen to my computer, i will just backup and reformat it. It solves all the problems except your computer's hardware problems. =)

PC Repair shops in my area fix computers for $29. I think any price is too much when you know how to do it yourself. If I've found an issue I couldn't resolve, then it's time to reformat and start over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast