View Poll Results: From a pure designer standpoint, which "big" CMS is easiest to work with?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drupal

1 6.25%
  • Joomla

3 18.75%
  • Wordpress

11 68.75%
  • I know one that woks really well

1 6.25%

What CMS do you find most pleasurable to design?

Coding is one thing but...

I found something like Textpattern very impressive (I like this project overall). People say Wordpress is easy to deal with, but I never found that to be the case. Now I am into theming wikis into websites... I found PmWiki nice in this regard. Dokuwiki is OK. I would like to try Wikkawiki some day but too bad most mindmap implementations require some sort of plugin or ...Java.

Something like TikiCMS, which does look good on paper, I found to be almost impossible to work with. Contrary to what people say, I find Drupal theming to be acceptable. I have unfortunately never tried Joomla.

With Textpattern if you know XHTML, you could come up with some amazing design, unless you are doing e-commerce. Do you know any CMS like Textpattern that is minimalist and really have that clean designer/developer/author divide? One that does not require designer to go back to his/her PHP reference book?

I would like opinions mainly on PHP-based CMS. Well, something like Drupal, Joomla, and Wordpress, but also ones like:
    CMSMS, Concrete5, e107, ezPublish, MODx, Silverstripe, Textpattern, Tiki, and Typo3. I just need that one CMS that is designer-friendly but also good enough. That's why I always end up going back to Drupal.

I should really change the poll options but don't know how

I use drupal with panels, i think it is the most easy way to go, but joomla is very easy to theme too, wordpress is the most easy one but not powerfull as drupal.

WordPress. It's something that fits my design. I often think of other CMSs as ones where I have to change my designs to fit them.

I roll my own blog platform now.
    ~ @PreetamJinka

It's an interesting topic. For a variety reason I (and many developers) dislike Joomla. Drupal has an awesome core. WordPress has a very clear development scheme. However, one thing that I know people sometimes dislike WordPress because of the way it combines design and development. The layers of complexity can sometimes make it a little difficult for people who prefer to keep these jobs as distinct as possible.

There are a couple other CMS platforms out there that are pretty interesting. ModX has a straightforward and simple templating system that allows for MVC. However, in both ModX and WordPress the control logic sits on the server. Thus ModX and WordPress produces application code that are like the green-screen terminal applications, where the user has a terminal that runs things on the mainframe.

One thing a few developers I know have been looking for is a minimal PHP framework that delivers the front end based on a JavaScriptMVC or other similar system.

Another system which I only recently found out about, but which looks rather intriguing is Concrete5. It uses inline editing for the backend which is cool. I'm not as sure what development is like on this platform though

I think most people do wrong things with CMS, like they get an Joomla, or Wordpress or Drupal CMS and starting to theme instead of trying to understand how the CMS works, so they start complaint on the way, because most of people only want to design in photoshop, make an html and want it to work with the CMS smooth, but thats not the way it should be done.

If you use an CMS you need to first build the website and functions, then you start theming.

At least in my opnion, its just more easy to create the website in drupal, and then use CSS to style the html that drupal generates, instead of make drupal hooks to change drupal html to fit my design.

kind regards,

I've done development work in all three, as well as some custom solutions (including ones I've created!). Out of the three mentioned, I'd pick Wordpress any day. It's documentation and community is more helpful than anything else I've seen.

Now it's important to also mention that some people may get the wrong idea of a CMS if their developer is inexperienced. For example, I've seen some of these "$40 Wordpress Integrations" come to me with no dynamic navigation, widgets, or real content control! It's as if they literally copied and pasted HTML into Wordpress and called it done. The end result is a user whom isn't happy, and they go to a professional whom charges more but does the job right the first time.
    Last edited by Bahawolf; 01-28-2012 at 08:17 PM.

WordPress by miles length... I coded for all, but I hate all except WordPress. I can do anything in it, it's really flexible and especially with the custom content types now maturing, it's getting absolutely perfect for any job.

I have been used both Wordpress and Joomla. Wordpress is easy to design, manage and develop. It offers lots of plugins, widget and options that help to design and develop a good webpage.

If documentation and community are the most important, WordPress likely wins hands down. Drupal has an extremely strong development community, but in terms of scale it is nowhere near WordPress (which makes sense when you consider how many more people work with WordPress.)

I voted Joomla because that's where I got my start, but WordPress is right up there as well. Both have a lot of support/community involvement behind them and they both have a ton of available components/modules/plug-ins that will fill almost any need that you might have. The biggest thing behind both is getting to understand how they actually work. Understanding the "whys" behind how they work is key to being a good designer.

I voted to Joomla. But Wordpress is also a good for to Design CMS.

I like wp. It is easy, tons of plug-ins and support.