Thumbs down CheetahHost.net / CheerahHost.com 6 month review

Hello everyone, it's been 6 months since I bought a reseller account with CheetahHost.net (former name) and now transformed into CheetaHost.com.

It was a part of their 90% off promo to lure more and more people into signing with them. I must say I bought it as a spare-spare-spare account with the prospect I may need it one day. It was advertised as (if I remember correctly) 20GB space.

I'm sorry to say this, but after 6 months I am still not able to use the service. Since day one there are always more and more problems, and the owner (and the only person working there, as it is as you may suspect a one man show) is hopeless when it comes to support.

It started with WHM not being configured correctly, wrong permissions didn't allow me to create any accounts. It took them over a week to solve this despite me advising them exactly what to do. The owner of CheetahHost have a bad habit answering the tickets only at certain time of a day, so if you are hoping for 24/7 support (or even 9-5) you will be dissapointed. Tickets are closed automatically 24hrs after their response to them (even when they're not resolved).

They're using a dedicated server with everything set up at the very same box (www, email, dns) which means no redundancy whatsoever. Well, I wasn't really surprised seeing they fail at everything else. After couple months I noticed they've been changing servers from time to time (don't know reason for that), and every time they gave an advanced note to update the nameservers. I don't think it says good about them, people expect some sort of steadiness and don't want to update their domains details every now and then.

I decided to write this negative review after another week fighting with Randall (the owner) to be able to access my service again. They moved from .net to .com and the end of that was a corrupted database (my password not working, WHMCS displaying rubbish when requested change of password, this sort of things. Moreover, after their December move of the server I had to update the DNSs once again and wasn't able to. Why? The nameservers they provided arent configured properly, the domain is pointed there but there is no effect. I wanted to log into WHM and found out that it's not possible as the Login button in WHMCS leads nowhere.

So at the moment I have a reseller account with no way of loging into, no way of updating DNS records and no way of doing anything apart from opening support tickets. And the best part - after another few answers from them I decided I better make a copy of all the tickets just "in case" just to found out they all have been deleted. Now, how is this professional?

That's it, my final opinion is clear: stay away from CheetahHost.com / CheetahHost.net. That simple.

Goodness, sounds like a mess. If I recall correctly, when they first starting coming to WHT a little over a year ago, they were initially using Godaddy (Wild West) to resell web hosting. Havent really heard much about them since (nor have I seen them on this forum). Just out of curiosity, how much did you end up spending for your yearly web hosting package? I promise I wont say, well, you get what you pay for
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by SirMarcel View Post
    They're using a dedicated server with everything set up at the very same box (www, email, dns) which means no redundancy whatsoever.
    It's common set up on cpanel servers with all services on one server.
    I believe cpanel still does not officially support multi servers setup.

Cheetahost.com shows suspended page at the moment!
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL SmarterMail Enterprise

@Fernando: it was something like $5/year after their 90% coupon
    @Premiumhost: at least they could add additional VPS for DNS redundancy. as for cPanel, it does support that, you don't even need another licence

Cluster DNS is not that important as you think.
    Many big hosts use DNS on the same server as it would be a nightmare when cluster dns fails.
    Websites on hundreds/thousands of servers could be affected.

I am quite sure that what you're talking about it's the stupidest idea ever when you're thinking about running a hosting company. And for your customer's sake I hope you don't have such a miserable setup. Adding another server wouldn't break your bank, and at least you could have a redundant DNS and (maybe) email on the second server, so if one goes down you're not completely screwed.

I give you an example, Hostgator don't use cluster dns.
    We use cluster dns on our servers but you know my opinion about cluster dns

I'm quite sure they don't use a single server neither

Remember seeing a thread on how the owner didnt pay his employees a while back.

The owner definitely seems a shady character from what I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by PremiumHost View Post
    It's common set up on cpanel servers with all services on one server.
    I believe cpanel still does not officially support multi servers setup.

Cheetahost.com shows suspended page at the moment!
    http://www.cheetahhost.com/ is their correct site,and it loads fine.

Uhhhh.... no.

Just... no.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    Uhhhh.... no.

Just... no.
    Are you using cluster dns for your domain?

Of couse.

From cPanel's docs:
    A DNS cluster is a number of nameservers that share records.
    Clustering allows you to physically separate your nameservers so that in the event of, for instance, a power outage, you still have DNS functionality. This way, visitors can reach websites on your server more quickly after the web server comes back online.
    I don't do it on a few domains -- on purpose -- and the outcome is server downtime can result in purging of the cache. So downtime of a site can result in very long-term downtime, because the server not only has to come back up, but the DNS has to re-propagate.

Not having multiple DNS servers (aka a "cluster") is wholly foolish.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Many big hosts use DNS on the same server as it would be a nightmare when cluster dns fails.
    Websites on hundreds/thousands of servers could be affected.
    Are you kidding? Yes it is important, extremely extremely important. Maybe not for a $1/month shared site that gets no visit, but your own host domain plus any support emails should have redundant DNS, redundant MX, etc at minimum

I use dnsmadeeasy for most things and ultradns for one higher profile site.
    So more than "cluster".
    I give you an example, Hostgator don't use cluster dns.
    ???

Hostgator's own site is on anycasted cluster for DNS, and their own A record is round robin with many many records

Not having multiple DNS servers (aka a "cluster") is wholly foolish.
    Why hostgator is foolish for not using cluster dns on their servers but are still praised as the most reliable host?

So downtime of a site can result in very long-term downtime, because the server not only has to come back up, but the DNS has to re-propagate.
    One hour max or immediate update if you flush dns and ISP is not dodgy to keep dns cache too long.
    Of course you can say website vistors don't do flush dns when browsing website.
    If someone first visits website before server down or after server up, website should work for them immediately.
    I prefer a server with 99.9% uptime rather than a cluster dns and a server with 95% uptime.
    Downtime won't be noticed on the server with 99.9% uptime even without cluster dns.
    Of course it's better to have cluster dns and server with 99.9% uptime and the OP would not be here to post his bad experience.

Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    Are you kidding? Yes it is important, extremely extremely important. Maybe not for a $1/month shared site that gets no visit, but your own host domain plus any support emails should have redundant DNS, redundant MX, etc at minimum

I use dnsmadeeasy for most things and ultradns for one higher profile site.
    So more than "cluster".
    ???
    What extremely important is the web server must be up and running 99.9%.
    Many use easydns or other cluster dns but still come here and cry their host is down for 12 hours or more. What's the problem?
    Implement cluster dns does not cost any extra for host if they have more than one server.

Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    Hostgator's own site is on anycasted cluster for DNS, and their own A record is round robin with many many records
    You should talk from the viewpoint of end user, not Hostgator own site.
    Sign up an account with them and you will know whether they use cluster dns or not on customer servers.

Btw we use cluster dns on three servers across three different data centers in three different cities.

One hour max or immediate update if you flush....
    IE keeps its own dns cache in registry. The default value is 30 minutes.
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

i think the cheetah host planned to sell the company three months back itself. I think I saw them once in the Web Hosting related offers and requests.

Just now saw this. Below this topic itself you get them listed as related.

See this:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1044505

He got his -ve comments in the Job offers also

Marcel,

I do remember your specific case, and im not sure how you feel as if we could have done any more to assist you. The client came to us after about 6 months saying that he was having an issue with the link to our WHM that was linked on a back page of our site, saying that Cheetahhost.net:2086 did not work. I then told him we are CheetahHost.com, I apologize for the outdated link and sent him a direct link to his WHM using his domain. At the time i sent it to him i confirmed it worked and everything was fine. Two days later, We got another ticket claiming that our DNS was messed up. I asked him which nameservers he was using, he then replied with ns1.cheetahhost.net and ns2. Seeing this again i reminded him we were .com and to change it to that, but if he needed assistance we would need the log on info for his registrar. After another day, he then sent a reply calling us morons and almost anything else you can think of. I then began troubleshooting further into the issue so that i could show him where it wasn't correct. After sending him advanced DNS tool outputs and all the information needed he then replied with we cant do our jobs and that when he pings ns1.cheetahhost.com it doesn't work. After providing a site to use advanced tools to look at name server ip's, he asked if we would try another domain. We set him up a completely FREE account for an entire year same package and all. A week later, i see a cancellation request with the following information:

A cancellation request exists for this item and so it will not be invoiced when due
    Reason: your are too dumb to do business with

The entire time we answered your questions, were polite, and even tried going the extra mile to help you. Every other customer on the same name servers website works.

Quote Originally Posted by SirMarcel View Post
    Hello everyone, it's been 6 months since I bought a reseller account with CheetahHost.net (former name) and now transformed into CheetaHost.com.

It was a part of their 90% off promo to lure more and more people into signing with them. I must say I bought it as a spare-spare-spare account with the prospect I may need it one day. It was advertised as (if I remember correctly) 20GB space.

I'm sorry to say this, but after 6 months I am still not able to use the service. Since day one there are always more and more problems, and the owner (and the only person working there, as it is as you may suspect a one man show) is hopeless when it comes to support.

It started with WHM not being configured correctly, wrong permissions didn't allow me to create any accounts. It took them over a week to solve this despite me advising them exactly what to do. The owner of CheetahHost have a bad habit answering the tickets only at certain time of a day, so if you are hoping for 24/7 support (or even 9-5) you will be dissapointed. Tickets are closed automatically 24hrs after their response to them (even when they're not resolved).

They're using a dedicated server with everything set up at the very same box (www, email, dns) which means no redundancy whatsoever. Well, I wasn't really surprised seeing they fail at everything else. After couple months I noticed they've been changing servers from time to time (don't know reason for that), and every time they gave an advanced note to update the nameservers. I don't think it says good about them, people expect some sort of steadiness and don't want to update their domains details every now and then.

I decided to write this negative review after another week fighting with Randall (the owner) to be able to access my service again. They moved from .net to .com and the end of that was a corrupted database (my password not working, WHMCS displaying rubbish when requested change of password, this sort of things. Moreover, after their December move of the server I had to update the DNSs once again and wasn't able to. Why? The nameservers they provided arent configured properly, the domain is pointed there but there is no effect. I wanted to log into WHM and found out that it's not possible as the Login button in WHMCS leads nowhere.

So at the moment I have a reseller account with no way of loging into, no way of updating DNS records and no way of doing anything apart from opening support tickets. And the best part - after another few answers from them I decided I better make a copy of all the tickets just "in case" just to found out they all have been deleted. Now, how is this professional?

That's it, my final opinion is clear: stay away from CheetahHost.com / CheetahHost.net. That simple.

Looks like now we are getting the real picture

Quote Originally Posted by CheetahHostdotNet View Post
    Marcel,

I do remember your specific case, and im not sure how you feel as if we could have done any more to assist you. The client came to us after about 6 months saying that he was having an issue with the link to our WHM that was linked on a back page of our site, saying that Cheetahhost.net:2086 did not work. I then told him we are CheetahHost.com, I apologize for the outdated link and sent him a direct link to his WHM using his domain. At the time i sent it to him i confirmed it worked and everything was fine. Two days later, We got another ticket claiming that our DNS was messed up. I asked him which nameservers he was using, he then replied with ns1.cheetahhost.net and ns2. Seeing this again i reminded him we were .com and to change it to that, but if he needed assistance we would need the log on info for his registrar. After another day, he then sent a reply calling us morons and almost anything else you can think of. I then began troubleshooting further into the issue so that i could show him where it wasn't correct. After sending him advanced DNS tool outputs and all the information needed he then replied with we cant do our jobs and that when he pings ns1.cheetahhost.com it doesn't work. After providing a site to use advanced tools to look at name server ip's, he asked if we would try another domain. We set him up a completely FREE account for an entire year same package and all. A week later, i see a cancellation request with the following information:

A cancellation request exists for this item and so it will not be invoiced when due
    Reason: your are too dumb to do business with

The entire time we answered your questions, were polite, and even tried going the extra mile to help you. Every other customer on the same name servers website works.

Unfortunatly many will see this thread and only read the first post, But that is how things go. If there is anyone out there that would like additional proof and do not believe me or see me as a "shady" character. I have been slacking on checking these forums as much as i should be, Just got back from my mid tour vacation from Afghan. Im open to any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritchiesame View Post
    Looks like now we are getting the real picture