Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 45
  1. #1

    Looking for Hosting with option for multiple IPs

    Hi,

    I have a client who is looking to host 12 domains, and he requires all the domains hosted on different IPs.

    Whats the best option to do this ? The domains are low traffic. Is there any reliable host that can provide this in a shared/reseller hosting plan ?
    Vipul Kapadia
    http://www.bollydb.in

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,799
    Unless all 12 sites have SSL certs on them, hosts can't give you the IPs. They require justification. There are so called "SEO hosts" out there that are able to give you a lot of IPs, but I don't know of their reliability and the packages are generally costly.

    Another option if separate IPs are so important, would be to get 12 different VPSes. VPSes usually get assigned 1 IP by default. However, this will be a lot to manage, just to get 12 sites on their own IPs.

    Better option would be for you to find out exactly why your client wishes to have dedicated IPs for each website. Chances are, s/he's stuck on some misconception which s/he should be educated about.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedFactor View Post
    find out exactly why your client wishes to have dedicated IPs for each website. Chances are, s/he's stuck on some misconception which s/he should be educated about.
    Thats a good point.

    But if customes wants separate ip,s really there is no issue other than having to sign up for 12 differnt accounts.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,799
    Quote Originally Posted by midlandi View Post
    But if customes wants separate ip,s really there is no issue other than having to sign up for 12 differnt accounts.
    If budget isn't an issue, sure. One could sign up for 12 VPSes from a provider or 12 shared accounts from 12 different providers (or less if a shared hosting provider operates out of multiple locations).

  5. #5
    The client wants separate IPs for SEO purposes.
    The best way seems, as WickedFactor rightly mentioned would be it to educate the client.

    The client is willing to pay about $4-5/host/month, so getting a VPS for each domain may not be an option. Maybe we can get 12 shared accounts from different providers, but that would entail a huge management effort.

    Has anyone worked with any of the SEO Hosts such as seohost.com ?
    Vipul Kapadia
    http://www.bollydb.in

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,148
    SEO purposes is not a valid reason to use an IPv4 address.
    No Support Linux Hosting Bargain cPanel Hosting Experts Only
    We IGNORE the support questions, and pass the SAVINGS on to YOU!
    We also ignore questions about VPS Hosting

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by vkapadia View Post
    The client wants separate IPs for SEO purposes.
    The best way seems, as WickedFactor rightly mentioned would be it to educate the client.

    The client is willing to pay about $4-5/host/month, so getting a VPS for each domain may not be an option. Maybe we can get 12 shared accounts from different providers, but that would entail a huge management effort.

    Has anyone worked with any of the SEO Hosts such as seohost.com ?
    I agree with Wicked, and feel this still could be resolved with a little education for your client of how he may not need separate IPs to get the SEO result he's looking for

    Midpulse | Customized Shared Web Hosting With VPS-Like Resources
    24/7 Support - 30 Day Money Back Guarantee - Daily Backups
    www.Midpulse.com - Doing Business Since 2007

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,895
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedFactor View Post
    Unless all 12 sites have SSL certs on them, hosts can't give you the IPs. They require justification. There are so called "SEO hosts" out there that are able to give you a lot of IPs, but I don't know of their reliability and the packages are generally costly.
    That is correct in regards to the cost, however there are many web hosting companies willing to offer different c-blocks upon request. I am not saying 'all' will do it, as you tend to find many sticklers who fight with clients about this. But there are plenty who can do it for little to nothing, and then there are the hosting companies that specialize in it.

    /2cts
    Last edited by BlazingSwitch; 01-27-2012 at 03:36 PM.
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | ARIN/RIPE/APNIC | 250+ CLASS-B | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING | 1G UNMETERED
    HIGH SPEED WEB HOSTING SOLUTIONS | ENTERPRISE GRADE HARDWARE

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    4,616
    There's a difference between insisting that you have 12 sites that do not share IPs with each other, and 12 sites that do not share IPs with any other website.

    If the client wants the latter, they need 12 dedicated IPs. Few hosts would regard SEO as a good enough reason to do that. Those that would are not being careful with their IPs, so the cracks could show in other areas later.

    If the former is enough, all you need is 12 different shared hosts. That way, the 12 sites will have different IP addresses from each other - job done. What's more, all the quite correct comments above on the need to be careful with IPv4 space wouldn't apply - those 12 sites are not using up any IP addresses, as all the addresses were already being used by other sites.
    James

    Interested in which hosts I'd recommend? Unmanaged VPS Reviews | Managed VPS Reviews

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    1,391
    You can go with an advanced VPS and buy the extra IP's at a per month charge. It's not really cheap but it is cheaper than a dedicated.

    Or as James said set up 12 separate basic accounts witch would cost just as much and be more difficult to manage.
    Last edited by musicman153; 01-27-2012 at 05:59 PM.
    www.websitemagick.com "Add a little Magick to your Website"
    IwebNews.net

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    801
    Quote Originally Posted by musicman153 View Post
    You can go with an advanced VPS and buy the extra IP's at a per month charge. It's not really cheap but it is cheaper than a dedicated.

    Or as James said set up 12 separate basic accounts witch would cast just as much and be more difficult to manage.
    As mentioned before SEO is not a valid reason for optaining dedicated ip,so most companies will not give 12 ips on a vps without a reason.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    1,391
    from my standpoint if the client is asking for an account with those specific options provided hes not doing anything inappropriate (which would get him shut down in any case) I don't care what his reason is.
    www.websitemagick.com "Add a little Magick to your Website"
    IwebNews.net

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,448
    Quote Originally Posted by musicman153 View Post
    from my standpoint if the client is asking for an account with those specific options provided hes not doing anything inappropriate (which would get him shut down in any case) I don't care what his reason is.
    Maybe you don't care, but hosting companies care, because they have to justify the IPs. Its not that "I have the money, I want them"

    IPs are almost none left, so companies are very careful in assigning them. If your clients cannot justify proper usage, you don't get any. Pretty simple.

    Proper justification for example is having an SSL on the website.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    51
    Really the client needs to be informed, that dedicated IPs are 'not' required for SEO.

    This said, if your client is sure that he needs Dedicated IPs, then a VPS is going to be your best option, as this would incur the least cost.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kepler 62f
    Posts
    14,754
    Quote Originally Posted by vkapadia View Post
    educate the client.
    This is the correct answer.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    16,057
    Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    This is the correct answer.
    Unfortunately 99.99% of the people I've come across that require dedicated IPs for "seo" are totally unwilling to believe anything other than what they already believe. Trying to re-educate them is, sadly, probably a waste of time.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,895
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Unfortunately 99.99% of the people I've come across that require dedicated IPs for "seo" are totally unwilling to believe anything other than what they already believe. Trying to re-educate them is, sadly, probably a waste of time.
    Sadly, web hosts who are unable or unwilling to meet a client's demand for IP space are really in no position to 'educate' any one. No offense.

    If you have not actually done SEO yourself (i.e. been a webmaster) then you really are doing little more than parroting what you read on TechCrunch or Matt Cutts blog. If SEO tactics did not work, then you would not have people seeking this out. It would have been debunked long ago by actual webmasters who do SEO all day long. Frankly, they would be in a better position to actually know if something does or does not work than a host who's primary concern is justification.

    /2cts
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | ARIN/RIPE/APNIC | 250+ CLASS-B | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING | 1G UNMETERED
    HIGH SPEED WEB HOSTING SOLUTIONS | ENTERPRISE GRADE HARDWARE

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    1,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefootsies View Post
    Sadly, web hosts who are unable or unwilling to meet a client's demand for IP space are really in no position to 'educate' any one. No offense.

    If you have not actually done SEO yourself (i.e. been a webmaster) then you really are doing little more than parroting what you read on TechCrunch or Matt Cutts blog. If SEO tactics did not work, then you would not have people seeking this out. It would have been debunked long ago by actual webmasters who do SEO all day long.

    /2cts
    ^ Reason #325215123532 the internet ran out of ips..
    'Ripcord'ing is the only way!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    16,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefootsies View Post
    Sadly, web hosts who are unable or unwilling to meet a client's demand for IP space are really in no position to 'educate' any one. No offense.

    If you have not actually done SEO yourself (i.e. been a webmaster) then you really are doing little more than parroting what you read on TechCrunch or Matt Cutts blog. If SEO tactics did not work, then you would not have people seeking this out. It would have been debunked long ago by actual webmasters who do SEO all day long.

    /2cts
    You're making some pretty strong assumptions here with absolutely not facts to back it up, assuming that response was pointed in my direction and not a general statement.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,895
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    You're making some pretty strong assumptions here with absolutely not facts to back it up, assuming that response was pointed in my direction and not a general statement.
    I do not know you, or your business. It was a general statement on this topic in regards to SEO.

    Thank you.
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | ARIN/RIPE/APNIC | 250+ CLASS-B | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING | 1G UNMETERED
    HIGH SPEED WEB HOSTING SOLUTIONS | ENTERPRISE GRADE HARDWARE

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Milan, IT
    Posts
    478
    A vps or a custom reseller plan should do. What is the budget of your client?.
    Prometeus.com & iperweb.com Hosting Solutions since 1997
    We are LIR (RIPE NCC member) and do BGP with ASN 34971 Multiple gigabit/s network capacity
    iwStack.com IaaS Cloud services

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    16,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefootsies View Post
    I do not know you, or your business. It was a general statement on this topic in regards to SEO.

    Thank you.
    Ok, so who is the provider that is, and I quote, "unable or unwilling to meet a client's demand for IP space," another hypothetical?
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,895
    Quote Originally Posted by Visbits View Post
    ^ Reason #325215123532 the internet ran out of ips..
    The web did not 'run out of IP's'. I broker deals every week for /22's, /20's, /19's. Both for buyers and sellers.

    There is plenty of space out there across ARIN, RIPE, LACNIC, APNIC. If you can't get IP's, then perhaps you can't pass justification or there is some other reason. I can't speak to that. However, I can assure you that there is plenty of space out there on the market as it is now. Which does not even cover all of the defunct blocks just sitting dormant that ARIN should just reclaim.

    My point is, I work with this stuff on a daily basis. I know that the web is NOT running out of IP's. Certain hosting/companies 'may be' running out of their own allocations, and apparently can't get more. That could be for any number of reasons. But there is still plenty of space available on the open market being leased/bought/sold daily.
    Last edited by BlazingSwitch; 01-27-2012 at 07:43 PM.
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | ARIN/RIPE/APNIC | 250+ CLASS-B | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING | 1G UNMETERED
    HIGH SPEED WEB HOSTING SOLUTIONS | ENTERPRISE GRADE HARDWARE

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    16,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefootsies View Post
    The web did not 'run out of IP's'. I broker deals every week for /22's, /20's, /19's. Both for buyers and sellers.

    There is plenty of space out there across ARIN, RIPE, LACNIC, APNIC. If you can't get IP's, then perhaps you can't pass justification or there is some other reason. I can't speak to that. However, I can assure you that there is plenty of space out there on the market as it is now. Which does not even cover all of the defunct blocks just sitting dormant that ARIN should just reclaim.
    I agree with you there about unused/wasted IP space... Look at most universities or some companies like Ford... Many of them have enough IPs to apply a /24 to each system they operate or more.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,895
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Ok, so who is the provider that is, and I quote, "unable or unwilling to meet a client's demand for IP space," another hypothetical?
    Please re-read my remarks in post #20 of this thread.

    My replies are on topic in regards to the subject matter of SEO and misconceptions. They are not directed at any particular web hosting company (in this thread or otherwise), their policies, or beliefs in SEO voodoo.

    Thank you.
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | ARIN/RIPE/APNIC | 250+ CLASS-B | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING | 1G UNMETERED
    HIGH SPEED WEB HOSTING SOLUTIONS | ENTERPRISE GRADE HARDWARE

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,895
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    I agree with you there about unused/wasted IP space... Look at most universities or some companies like Ford... Many of them have enough IPs to apply a /24 to each system they operate or more.
    They are not the only one's, but there was insane waste of assigning allocations in the early days. If so inclined, you can find literally THOUSANDS of companies or IPv4 space not in use in just ARIN jurisdiction that are defunct and have a /16 or /20 whatever. Some even much larger than that. You also see notes where ARIN has tried to contact the P.O.C. and not gotten a reply in years.

    In short, there is literally 5-10 years of IPv4 space EASILY in ARIN alone that could/should be reclaimed and reassigned. Who knows in regards to all of those other regional's. ARIN said they are apparently not going to do that however, as they want the web to inch towards IPv6 adoption.
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | ARIN/RIPE/APNIC | 250+ CLASS-B | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING | 1G UNMETERED
    HIGH SPEED WEB HOSTING SOLUTIONS | ENTERPRISE GRADE HARDWARE

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    16,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefootsies View Post
    Please re-read my remarks in post #20 of this thread.

    My replies are on topic in regards to the subject matter of SEO and misconceptions. They are not directed at any particular web hosting company (in this thread or otherwise), their policies, or beliefs in SEO voodoo.

    Thank you.
    Speaking from my own experience, having a dedicate IP [or not], doesn't affect SEO any more than whether I brush my teeth within 5, or 10 minutes of waking up.

    The only real reason I've ever seen people wanting "multiple 'class c' IPs" is to try and disassociate sites in search engines so that they're not ranked collectively. Essentially in these situations the individuals were trying to "game" the system and artificially inflate their rankings.

    I have yet to see anybody want multiple IP addresses for anything other than that, but that isn't to say there aren't other rationals out there.

    There are two distinct issues here though, that would need to be clearly separated for discussion imho.

    Simply having an IP that is all your own (i.e. dedicated) versus having IPs of a different 'c class'.

    There are 'seo providers' that will give you a lot of 'class c' IP addresses - but they aren't dedicated (i.e. you share them with others). Some swear by this, and then others say it doesn't work because they are not dedicated.

    At the end of the day 'SEO' isn't a clearly defined science and there are a LOT of variables. The only ones who really know are the ones who created/updated/and maintain the algorithms and I don't see them spelling it out anytime soon.

    Best of luck, believers and disbelivers alike. There is a lot that goes into 'seo', quite a bit more than simply whether you're on a shared/dedicated IP or you have multiple from different or the same 'c class'.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,895
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    The only real reason I've ever seen people wanting "multiple 'class c' IPs" is to try and disassociate sites in search engines so that they're not ranked collectively. Essentially in these situations the individuals were trying to "game" the system and artificially inflate their rankings.
    Correct. That is the whole point.

    The same reason some want a VPN in other cities, states, or countries. So they can also "game the system". Whether that is for Craigslist accounts, to pass a MaxMind fraud check, hide your true location, watch a TV show in a country where it is banned by the government, or whatever. There is much of this that goes on in regards to the industry on a daily basis.

    Whether you agree with the motives, or malicious intent, behind it is a completely separate issue. Additionally, not relevant to SEO discussion.

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    At the end of the day 'SEO' isn't a clearly defined science and there are a LOT of variables. The only ones who really know are the ones who created/updated/and maintain the algorithms and I don't see them spelling it out anytime soon.

    Best of luck, believers and disbelivers alike. There is a lot that goes into 'seo', quite a bit more than simply whether you're on a shared/dedicated IP or you have multiple from different or the same 'c class'.
    I have said this myself repeatedly. There is a lot more to "seo" that just getting some different Class C subnets. If you are not going to do ALL of those steps needed, then it's a fool's errand. Do it all, or do not bother. To do it correctly, you really must take the time and follow the process.
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | ARIN/RIPE/APNIC | 250+ CLASS-B | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING | 1G UNMETERED
    HIGH SPEED WEB HOSTING SOLUTIONS | ENTERPRISE GRADE HARDWARE

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    16,057
    At least we agree on some of this .
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kepler 62f
    Posts
    14,754
    IP addresses have nothing to do with SEO. It's a communications protocol, not a system of isolation and separation.

    If you really want good "SEO", then quit writing spammy/fake junk, organize the content better, present it well, and make yourself useful in the online community. That alone is the problem -- the "SEO hosting" users are just spammers looking for cheats. IP addresses are not magic fairy dust to sprinkle on websites to make them grow.

    An IP address is just the tool used to allow for communication, and with them being a finite resource, they should not be wasted on myths.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,895
    Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    That alone is the problem -- the "SEO hosting" users are just spammers looking for cheats.
    Right. The problem is not that those 'tactics' actually work. It's that some web hosting companies frown on those 'gaming of the system' tactics, and fall back on ARIN justification as the cop out simply because 'they' do not believe it works because Matt Cutts, or some trade magazine, said so.

    Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    IP addresses are not magic fairy dust to sprinkle on websites to make them grow.
    No one has said that IP's, or different class c's were magic fairy dust. As a matter of fact, both myself and the other chappie, have repeatedly said otherwise. They are but one piece in the puzzle that can effectively be used to 'game the system' in SEO for those who do not want to do it long tail, and spend the time and effort to do all that is required.

    In summary, these "seo threads" often muddy the water with people's personal beliefs on the whole 'gaming of the system' or short cutting via IP's in conjunction with all of the other things you must do. It is not that those things work, which they obviously do and have for some time. It is that some web hosting companies have a 'moral' objection to it.

    I do not care if someone frowns upon it, and claims that it is a waste of resources. As a web hosting company, you can choose to manage your resources and IP space any way you see fit. However, the problem in these threads is you should (according to their beliefs) do traditional, long tail, seo where you make a quality website, spend the time doing keyword laden posts, to push a product and get there the same as everyone else. No do the short cut because you think it is 'spammy'.

    That is a personal opinion. Nothing more.

    As has been said many times in this, and other threads. An IP, or SEO IP's over different Class C's are not going to give you magic SEO juice. There are many other steps that you have to do if you are looking to 'game the system'. If you do not do those other steps, it is fodder. SEO is about a lot more than some IP's and I do not see anyone in this thread saying that magic IP's will give you killer SEO rankings. It is but ONE of many pieces needed if you want to go this route.

    /2cts
    Last edited by BlazingSwitch; 01-28-2012 at 12:10 AM.
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | ARIN/RIPE/APNIC | 250+ CLASS-B | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING | 1G UNMETERED
    HIGH SPEED WEB HOSTING SOLUTIONS | ENTERPRISE GRADE HARDWARE

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    1,391
    I think its not such a matter of if IP's are better for SEO or how many IP's are left out there. It's what the customer requested.
    www.websitemagick.com "Add a little Magick to your Website"
    IwebNews.net

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,895
    Quote Originally Posted by musicman153 View Post
    I think its not such a matter of if IP's are better for SEO or how many IP's are left out there. It's what the customer requested.
    Well, that is where the conflict comes in.

    1. There are a number of ISP's who believe this use of IP's is wasteful.
    2. They have a moral objection in regards to 'gaming the system'.
    3. Many will refer to ARIN/RIPE/etc. citing the use of IP's for SEO is not one of the 'justification' allowances.
    4. Some do not believe it works.

    As you can see from the above, many (not all) are opinions and personal belief more than actual facts. Typically what you find is those web hosting companies who do NOT have a lot of IP space for this sort of usage from the get go will try and 'educate' clients against what they want just because they do not want to do it.

    It would be refreshing to see that same sort of push back when a client wants a Quad Core with a 100MBit pipe. You review their actual usage, and they could probably get by on an Atom with 5000GB of bandwidth in the month. Yet I would bet 9 of 10 hosting companies would sell them the Quad if the client insisted they want/need it. Despite they would barely use 1% of the resources.

    But I digress....

    This discussion will go round and round as many hosting companies just believe this is pure waste, and nothing will change their mind. As I said, if 'gaming the system' did not work, you would not have people coming to hosting companies asking for it. Hosting companies do not have to persuade people to ask for these IP's, convince them, nor upsell them. They come through the door ASKING for them. You can choose to fill the demand and sell to them, or not.

    Regardless of your opinion on the matter, IP's are a resource. You can turn them into a profit center, or you can just sit on them and be a dandy.

    Sit on your /20 and be happy that you have a /20 or rent it out and make a few thousand dollars off it, monthly recurring, for a few months. When you are looking at making $50-100.00 per server monthly recurring, or looking at leasing out some IP space you are not using and make $3000-4000.00 for the same month. It's easy to see why some see IP's as a profit center to help grow their business. As I said, this is a simple illustration of IP's usage.

    Ultimately, a business (web hosting or otherwise) is about making money. When there is demand for something, fill the demand.

    /2cts
    Last edited by BlazingSwitch; 01-28-2012 at 12:49 AM.
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | ARIN/RIPE/APNIC | 250+ CLASS-B | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING | 1G UNMETERED
    HIGH SPEED WEB HOSTING SOLUTIONS | ENTERPRISE GRADE HARDWARE

  34. #34
    Thanks all, I was finally able to convince the client not to go for multiple IPs after all.. ! :-)

    The client too did some of his own reasearch and found out that some of the "SEO hosts" have IPs that are blacklisted, so decided not to go with them and host all domains on a single reseller package.
    Vipul Kapadia
    http://www.bollydb.in

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,895
    Quote Originally Posted by vkapadia View Post

    The client too did some of his own reasearch and found out that some of the "SEO hosts" have IPs that are blacklisted, so decided not to go with them and host all domains on a single reseller package.
    That can happen. Although, it does not need to be an 'seo host' in regards to the BL'd IP's. It can happen anywhere.

    Often times, in regards to SEO, it is that host actually allows those link blasting programs. I think the name of them is blocked or banned on WHT, so I am not going to bother typing it out. But essentially, we are talking about those programs that just spam links all over the place. All the same, it sounds like you took care of your client and all is well.

    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | ARIN/RIPE/APNIC | 250+ CLASS-B | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING | 1G UNMETERED
    HIGH SPEED WEB HOSTING SOLUTIONS | ENTERPRISE GRADE HARDWARE

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kepler 62f
    Posts
    14,754
    That is a personal opinion. Nothing more.
    The problem is that many of these "opinions" (stating IP is NOT helpful for SEO) come from the organizations that determine how ranking works in search engines. You have to be massively head-up-butt to think the information released by Matt Cutts (as one example) is to be doubted and dismissed. You really only do so at your own peril.

    And I guess that's par for the course -- the kiddies (mostly young 20s/teens males) who want to spam are generally stubborn anyway, filled with the idea that they know more than adults and everybody else. Dumb kids eventually learn. If we had enough IPv4 space, we'd surely let them foolishly piss away their money on IP addresses. After all, it's an easy way to collect money from suckers, which is why "SEO hosting" exists at all. You found a way to collect a premium bounty on what's basically just cheap shared hosting. But we don't have unlimited IPv4 space, so we can't keep at this.

    When you are looking at making $50-100.00 per server monthly recurring, or looking at leasing out some IP space you are not using and make $3000-4000.00 for the same month. It's easy to see why some see IP's as a profit center to help grow their business.
    This really says everything anybody needs to know.

    IP has nothing to do with SEO. But the silly idea of IP=SEO brings in profits to hosts willing to (ab)use IPv4. That's all this is. This is basically an admission that IP doesn't help SEO, but is simply a way to pocket a few extra bucks due to somebody else's lack of knowledge -- either due to ignorance (don't know any better) or stupidity (willingly choose to be ignorant).

    .
    Last edited by kpmedia; 01-28-2012 at 01:39 PM.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,895
    Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    You have to be massively head-up-butt to think the information released by Matt Cutts (as one example) is to be doubted and dismissed. You really only do so at your own peril.
    I have been a webmaster longer than I have been in hosting, and I can tell you that Matt Cutts (or anyone in a position like that) is not going to give you a road map. Believing him blindly is pure naive, as proven time and again by SEO companies out there. I am not saying hosting, I am talking about consultants.

    Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    I guess that's par for the course -- the kiddies who want to spam are generally stubborn anyway, filled with the idea that they know more than adults and everybody else.
    Your opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    If we had enough IPv4 space, we'd surely let them foolishly piss away their money on IP addresses. After all, it's an easy way to collect money from suckers
    You manage to do it in other ways. Selling people who only need a Dual Core Atom, with 3000GB of bandwidth a Quad Core with 100MBit because they ask/demand for it. Even though their actual usage and traffic would say they need a lower end machine, you sell them a higher end one because that is what they want.

    We can play these silly reindeer games all day long. But in the end it really comes down to your opinion on the matter. You call some of the various IP usage a scam, I call selling people a Quad with a huge pipe when they really only NEED an Atom a scam.

    Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    This really says everything anybody needs to know. IP has nothing to do with SEO. But the silly idea of IP=SEO brings in profits to hosts willing to (ab)use IPv4. That's all this is. This is basically an admission that IP doesn't help SEO, but is simply a way to turn a few extra bucks.
    Incorrect. That is nothing more than you trying to twist the words of myself, and others, to try and prove your point. That quote above you are taking completely out of context because it was not in reference to SEO/link building as it related to this discussion at all, but the usage of IP's as a profit center, or resource. You having to stoop to new lows to try and prove your point of view by twisting words, and taking things our of context, just reinforces how narrow minded you are on the subject. No offense.

    As I stated earlier, hosts who do not have the resources to do SEO hosting will always claim it doesn't work. You have admitted you do not have the resources, hence proving my point. Additionally, I said those who are naive and just believe what Matt Cutts, or some trade mag said at some point would simply parrot the same thing because they can't compete. Again, you've admitted that as well, further proving my point.

    In conclusion, based on your history I can see that you like to argue on this topic every time the subject comes up, so it is crystal clear that you believe everyone else is wrong and you're right. Nothing is going to change your mind regardless of what SEO consultants and experts on the subject say. Those who make their living DOING seo for others.

    That's fine. It's a free country, believe what you like. However, just because you want to scream the loudest to make your point, will not make your point of view any more correct. When the next thread comes up on this subject, you'll be right back there rehashing the same talking points. I guess you are just that determined to be 'right'.
    Last edited by BlazingSwitch; 01-28-2012 at 01:54 PM.
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | ARIN/RIPE/APNIC | 250+ CLASS-B | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING | 1G UNMETERED
    HIGH SPEED WEB HOSTING SOLUTIONS | ENTERPRISE GRADE HARDWARE

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kepler 62f
    Posts
    14,754
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefootsies View Post
    so it is crystal clear that you believe everyone else is wrong and you're right.
    Yessir.

    And the reasoning is this:
    - I have science, facts, and authoritative sources to back up my statements.
    - And you (and others like you) have ... nothing*.

    * Aside from IP space or spammy/scammy "SEO services" to sell, that is.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,895
    Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    Yessir.

    And the reasoning is this:
    - I have science, facts, and authoritative sources to back up my statements.
    - And you (and others like you) have ... nothing*.

    * Aside from IP space or spammy/scammy "SEO services" to sell, that is.
    Actually, you have not backed up anything with any 'science' and your opinion is far from it.

    That being said, it's pointless for others on WHT to attempt to have an engaging, intelligent discussion on the matter with you. Your mind is made up on this subject (as well as many others). You are just going to keep trying to screaming the loudest, and start the name calling as you have repeatedly shown over and again in these threads.

    I guess when you can't actually prove a point, resort to name calling. Sadly, the cliche seems to hold true... Ignorance is bliss.

    /2cts
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | ARIN/RIPE/APNIC | 250+ CLASS-B | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING | 1G UNMETERED
    HIGH SPEED WEB HOSTING SOLUTIONS | ENTERPRISE GRADE HARDWARE

  40. #40

    Thumbs up

    Wow! who would have guessed that there are different opinions to the subject of using multiple IP's. Interesting topic guys. Thanks for sharing your views. Made me think of my own game plan as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Reseller hosting across multiple servers or IPs
    By AshP in forum Reseller Hosting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-11-2010, 11:43 AM
  2. IX Web Hosting: or Multiple Dedicated IPs
    By walter999 in forum Web Hosting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-27-2007, 06:07 PM
  3. ** Reseller/Multiple Domain Hosting ** 2 IPs, SSH Access **
    By PH-Kev in forum Shared Hosting Offers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-12-2006, 05:34 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-04-2005, 02:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •