Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks for all the great feedback and useful discussion.

Regarding VirtIO here is a couple of interesting links relating to a FreeBSD customer that uses us with things like MongoDB clustered database servers:
    How to upgrade to FreeBSD 9.0 with VirtIO: http://viktorpetersson.com/2012/01/1...0-with-virtio/
    Benchmarking VirtIO networking versus alternatives: http://viktorpetersson.com/2012/01/2...der-freebsd-9/
    Tuning up VirtIO networking: http://viktorpetersson.com/2012/01/2...etwork-driver/

Hopefully he'll post something on storage because I know our customers have seen significant differences in performance with VirtIO (in a positive way). In some cases more than doubling performance.

In general benchmarking is a poor fit compared with real computing. It tends to break things in the way it behaves giving some deceptive results. We always advice customers to do real world deployments and loads to see how things compare. That's one reason why we offer free trials and also upgrade capacities for customers needing to evaluate something needing more time or capacity. We have a lot of HPC customers and I can tell you we come in on a price/performance favourably.

To give you an example, check out https://www.cloudsleuth.net/web/gues...-provider-view and select Europe. Bear in mind this is the cloud with 'lower' performance compared with Las Vegas apparently. If you are running a web service from our Zurich cloud serving Europe, we are significantly faster than anyone else. Having only opened the Las Vegas cloud recently, we are in the same process of optimisation over there too and expect to deliver faster and faster performance for external access as that process progresses.

Regarding the query about CPU, yes, you do get to pick up the slack on spare CPU in our cloud because of the way KVM works. That is of course a bonus as opposed to being robbed if that extra CPU isn't there :-) We had some people gaming the way our cloud works with regards to CPU recently in Zurich. We've now made the necessary changes to prevent such gaming of our cloud in the future so you'll see CPU performance in Zurich improve as a result over the next few weeks.

Best wishes,

Robert

Just want to add my experience on cloudsigma...

I created a trial account which supposed to last 7 days on their Las Vegas pool. However I cannot access it anymore on day 2 and not even getting a mail from them.

I am trying their 7-day trial in zurich, i'm very impressed by their control panel, much power here, loads of drive images/CD/DVD's to install att a click. Many drive-mounts to choose from and much can be customized unlike many other cloud VPS panels i've tried. And implementing the fresh HTML5 based VNC Client really shows that these guys want to lead the pack...

@jc10 If you registered without using real details like your actual name, actual address etc. then your account is liable for deletion. Likewise use of the trial for things like gaming is also prohibited.

If you want another trial please send me your details at robert@cloudsigma.com and we will gladly organise this for you.

Kind regards,

Robert
    CTO
    CloudSigma

Can cloudsigma not be used for gaming-servers?

Hi Robert,

Thx for respond. I used it for web server trial runs and not gaming or else.
    But it's fine for now, already paid for a VPS from another service provider...

Thanks.

@swedish

Gaming servers are fine but are not allowed for the trial accounts due to widespread abuse/repeat registrations. As such we don't allow trial accounts to be used to 'try' gaming servers :-) For paid accounts there aren't such restrictions of course.

Kind regards,

Robert

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12