Exclamation Seeking to launch a new website.

I have never rented a domain-name or used a primary DNS web-hosting service. Angelfire is the closest I've ever came to website design.

As of late I've taken up some new initiatives, one of which is to launch a website. I'm not looking for any major at the moment, just a good platform from which I can use PHP, HTML, FrontPage, and affiliate marketing plug-ins.

Right now, I'm willing to take use of a subdomain if I can find success in getting it acknowledged. Once I see success in the potential of my webpage I'll go on and purchase my own domain, eventually dedicated servers.

It's important that I find the best deal because I'm broke. I just know that there are opportunities out there that lie in wait. Please help me in finding the absolute best at the absolute cheapest. Integrity and capacity are key. Unlimited bandwidth and .info status are desired immediately and sensible platforming is preferred, I'm new to this.

My website is going to be interesting and I'm interested in getting it launched. Just as an experiment. But I input to help in making wise choices. I'm fairly poor as it is, but I'm smart, have drive, and show marketing directives.

Thanks.

You should register the domain name from the start because if the site becomes sucessful it may cause problems then directing people to a different address if all goes well.

I wouldn't use a subdomain for anything other than a testing site or possibly a personal site for messing around. If its going to be advertised to the public a domain name is key.

Many hosts will support PHP, its almost standard these days. Frontpage is no longer updated by MS so many hosts don't support it any more, and if they do they shouldn't!

Best of luck.
    | Galaxy Web Solutions Ltd
    | cPanel, cPanel Reseller, Master Reseller, Shoutcast/Icecast + Shoutcast/Icecast Reseller Solutions
    | Cheltenham based servers housed in our own private rackspace. Server Colocation & VPS also available!
    | GalaxyWebSolutions.com | 0800 520 0107 | 01454 620 217

Unlimited bandwidth and .info status are desired immediately == fastest way to get scammed, lose your money. no refunds in this world.

I have never rented a domain-name or used a primary DNS web-hosting service. Angelfire is the closest I've ever came to real website design.

As of late I've taken up some new initiatives, one of which is to launch a website. I'm not looking for any major at the moment, just a good platform from which I can use PHP, HTML, and affiliate marketing plug-ins. This is crucial.

The website seeks to be a social networking/content-site. I need help to find a good testing ground with all the bells and whistles of a real domain. but free. so I can run beta testing when the launch-site is complete.

Right now, I'm willing to take use of a subdomain for this, if I can find a formidable host who won't leave my number of patrons to be terribly undercut... Once I see success in the potential of my webpage I'll go on and purchase my own domain, eventually dedicated servers. It's important that I find the best deal because I'm broke. I just know that there are opportunities out there that lie in wait. Please help me in finding the absolute best at the absolute cheapest. Integrity and capacity are key. Unlimited bandwidth and .info status are desired immediately and sensible platforming is preferred, I'm new to this.

My website is going to be interesting and I'm interested in getting it launched. Just as an experiment. But I input to help in making wise choices. I'm fairly poor as it is, but I'm smart, have drive, and show marketing directives.

Thanks. *Edit Post*

[QUOTE=Ricky-GWS;790170 Frontpage is no longer updated by MS so many hosts don't support it any more, and if they do they shouldn't!
    [/QUOTE]

It doesn't matter whether a host supports the Frontpage Extensions or not...Frontpage is an editor and is still being used by millions of people.
    Some people can't afford Dreamweaver or Expression Web nor wants or has the time for their learning curves. There is a 3rd party company that still maintains the FPSE.

You don't need the FP extensions to use Frontpage as an editor.
    And why shouldn't a host still support them? We still use the FPSE to publish with on hundreds of sites thru Expression Web. We've had no problems nor do the host we use and they tell us they're not going to stop supporting them unless their FP client base drops way off.

FWIW...we use the FPSE for publishing only.

Many hosting companies have on board sitebuilders that have wysiwyg capabilities so that you can design your own, but we still have frontpage available. I see no point in not supplying it right from the start. The client has the option of disabling it if they choose.
    The place for you to look is in the offers section here at WHT. You may be surprised at who and what you can come up with.
    Hosting - At it's Simple Best!
    Get your Business, Blog or Personal Site Online in an Affordable way.
    https://www.fdwhostingco,com

You should register the domain name from the start
    I agree completely. You should secure your domain name now, as that is a key (if not the key) of your successful launch regardless of how you decide to host or update your site.

Personally, I use GoDaddy for domain registrations. However, you can also do a quick Google search and find some hosts that offer free hosting, for example, with domain registration (doteasy.com is one). If I were you, I'd register the domain and find an inexpensive host to get the domain live.

Don't worry too much about the specs of the hosting package right now. Go for a reputable host with an inexpensive package. Develop your site and then, as your site grows and money starts coming in, you can add resources, move plans, and, as you mention, move to dedicated or cloud server environments.

I hope that this helps!
    Richard C. Hay - Celebration, Florida
    Web Application Development, Graphic Design & Organization Management Services

NEVER host + domain in the same place.

Also don't use godaddy they're terrible for almost every reason you can think of, I moved the last of my stuff out a few months ago and have never been happier

NEVER host + domain in the same place. Also don't use godaddy they're terrible for almost every reason you can think of
    If your just starting out and new to hosting and domains, I don't see any reason not to host your site and purchase your domain from the same place. Just be sure that you're listed as the "administrative" contact on the registration--something that is the default at most ethical hosts and domain registrars.

And, I have well over 300 domains at GoDaddy. I don't host with them, but as a registrar, have been very pleased with their services. I also like that, the few times I've had to call, they answer almost immediately and stay on the phone through to resolution. I'm certainly not doubting that some have had bad experiences, but, again, I've been pleased.
    Richard C. Hay - Celebration, Florida
    Web Application Development, Graphic Design & Organization Management Services

Quote Originally Posted by bruc View Post

And why shouldn't a host still support them?
    Probably because it has been discontinued (meaning there are no more updates for FPE). However the security holes with front page extension have always been very prevalent in my opinion and more trouble than its worth. Aside from the security issues, I've never been a fan of FP, it generates messy code .

However if there are companies out there still using FPE, I wouldn't hold it against them (everyone is going to have their own opinion about it). With me, I simply feel its too much trouble/hassle to continue providing something that has already been discounted by the vendor. Especially now that there are plenty of more safe/secure free options out there (at least safer than FP). I imagine in the coming years FPE will be completely phased out by most web hosting companies (its already half way there).
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

Front page or not, the bottom line is you need to come up with some sort of budget for a domain and a host you can go month by month and get started (you can get a domain and hosting for $15-20). But stay away from subdomains and free hosting if it's something you thing could become popular.
    If you're going to do it, do it right from the start.
    www.websitemagick.com "Add a little Magick to your Website"
    IwebNews.net

Quote Originally Posted by skoi View Post
    I have never rented a domain-name or used a primary DNS web-hosting service. Angelfire is the closest I've ever came to website design.

As of late I've taken up some new initiatives, one of which is to launch a website. I'm not looking for any major at the moment, just a good platform from which I can use PHP, HTML, FrontPage, and affiliate marketing plug-ins.

Right now, I'm willing to take use of a subdomain if I can find success in getting it acknowledged. Once I see success in the potential of my webpage I'll go on and purchase my own domain, eventually dedicated servers.

It's important that I find the best deal because I'm broke. I just know that there are opportunities out there that lie in wait. Please help me in finding the absolute best at the absolute cheapest. Integrity and capacity are key. Unlimited bandwidth and .info status are desired immediately and sensible platforming is preferred, I'm new to this.

Thanks.
    The economics of having complete control are not really that bad. Here are my suggestions for your "first steps":

1. Decide on a domain name and register it. There are many domain name registrars; one that is recommended often is http://namecheap.com. You will pay from $10 to $15 a year for your domain name, and this way you control the name completely, with full ownership. And, when you think about it, your domain name is the most valuable part of your on-line presence.

Note -- refuse all the add-on offers from the domain registrars; some want to sell you hosting, some want to sell you email services, etc. The one thing that is good to do is take advantage of the free "WhoisGuard" or other "privacy protection" feature that hides your home address and phone number from the public (you have to provide your true contact information or risk losing the domain name in the future).

2. Choose a web host. Expect to pay from $4 to $8 a month. This will be the hardest part of the process, but the way to do it is to start with a list of your requirements BEFORE you start shopping. Web host marketing works by offering what you don't need in amounts you will never use, and you think "gee, that would be nice to have!" And it gets very confusing. Start with YOUR needs, and then you can choose the best value among the quality hosts.

Some hosts still support FrontPage extensions, so if that's a requirement, make sure you find a host that does. Some hosts no longer support it. That's an example of one of your requirements that is important. Disk space, bandwidth, number of databases, Google ad credits, etc. are mostly not important for a simple website; while the hosts offer 5 GB or more, most websites fit into 500 MB of disk space.

Avoid any of the hosts that appear on those "top ten hosts" lists; I have yet to see a single site like that that is an honest appraisal of the host's. They are almost all "affiliate sites" that earn money when you click through. Most of them don't reveal that fact, and are in violation of FTC rules.

Start your search here by asking for recommendations for a host that fits your list of requirements. People who have actually used those hosts will chime in with their recommendations.

fshagan has given you some excellent advice.

If, as he suggests, you look to pay $4-$8 per month for the hosting, that's $50-$100 per year. Compared to that, the $9 per year for a domain name is very small, and in return for that you don't discover later that someone else has registered your preferred name, and the search engines learn where you are from day 1.
    Not as active on WHT as I used to be, but still drop in and receive email notifications from here.
    My personal blog site: https://www.oakleys.org.uk/blog

I would get a regular domain name right from the start. They can be had for very little money. I got the one for my webhosting forum at http://register.com for $3.95. Don't skimp on the domain.

If you want your site to be a success a good domain is important.

As for unlimited hosting. There's no such thing. It's just a marketing gimmick. Don't go for a host just because it has cheap prices and unlimited hosting.

Chad
    Webmasterbabble.com Webmaster Forum
    Come join us at webmasterbabble.com

If you're serious about making a wise choice and plan on monetizing (earning $$$) your site, I would recommend:

1) WHT offers some excellent advice but nothing can replace your own research. Google and this button are your best friends.

2) For SEO and brand name recognition purposes, register a real domain don't use a free subdomain or anything of that nature. Do you want your audience and potential clients to take you seriously?

3) What's your budget for domain and web hosting? Yes I know you said you're "poor", we get it. However in order to offer real suggestions and recommendations we need to know how much you can afford. Don't worry, you can find affordable hosting from a reputable web host for less than a coffee a day. If you can't answer this question or can't afford a donut I would suggest checking out FreeWebhostingTalk.com

4) Frontpage is dead, the sooner you accept it, the better.
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

Thanks.
    Angelfire is so old! It is a different ball game now a days with new languages emerged and new standards. My advice is...since you are VERY new to this, find a web designer who will work to get a site up for you at a low price.
    My Site : Chi Chi's Floral [Under Construction - Link Coming Soon!]

Hosted by: Myhosting.com - 10 months and counting!

The time to register a domain name, is when you first think of it and see that it is available.

Quote Originally Posted by chad1988 View Post
    I would get a regular domain name right from the start. They can be had for very little money. I got the one for my webhosting forum at http://register.com for $3.95. Don't skimp on the domain.

If you want your site to be a success a good domain is important.

As for unlimited hosting. There's no such thing. It's just a marketing gimmick. Don't go for a host just because it has cheap prices and unlimited hosting.

Chad
    Isn't this place $38-$58 for renewals depending on TLD and is whiny about ever letting you leave?

Just use a sane place like gandi.net or name.com

Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    Isn't this place $38-$58 for renewals depending on TLD and is whiny about ever letting you leave?

Just use a sane place like gandi.net or name.com
    Wow. I didn't realize the price for renewal. I'm gonna be transferring my domain soon. That is way overpriced.

Chad
    Webmasterbabble.com Webmaster Forum
    Come join us at webmasterbabble.com

Quote Originally Posted by chad1988 View Post
    Wow. I didn't realize the price for renewal. I'm gonna be transferring my domain soon. That is way overpriced.
    I don't have any specific knowledge of the provider mentioned above, but I have seen this kind of thing before. There's a thread here about a host that sets up the domain names in his own name; anyone moving away has to either meet whatever demands he has (reasonable or not) or go out and choose a new domain name. The problem with that is you lose the reputation of your domain name, and lose some readers when you change.

Even with registrars, check the fine print. Most of the big ones like NameCheap.com or GoDaddy.com have reasonable renewal rates. Sometimes, though, others will offer a lower initial price and then have high renewal rates.

I think that everyone should get into the habit of checking the WHois no matter who you purchase it from.
    Hosting - At it's Simple Best!
    Get your Business, Blog or Personal Site Online in an Affordable way.
    https://www.fdwhostingco,com

Quote Originally Posted by richardhay View Post
    If your just starting out and new to hosting and domains, I don't see any reason not to host your site and purchase your domain from the same place. Just be sure that you're listed as the "administrative" contact on the registration--something that is the default at most ethical hosts and domain registrars.

And, I have well over 300 domains at GoDaddy. I don't host with them, but as a registrar, have been very pleased with their services. I also like that, the few times I've had to call, they answer almost immediately and stay on the phone through to resolution. I'm certainly not doubting that some have had bad experiences, but, again, I've been pleased.
    Yes the above quotes is kinda true, all you need is to have full ownership of your domain and nothing wrong will going to happen between your end with provider.
    ********.COM | Web Hosting Provider
    ₪ Specialised in Web Hosting, Dedicated Server, Domain Name since year 2001.
    ₪ Trusted by over 50,000+ clients worldwide.
    ₪ Malaysia, Singapore, United State

Just a quick word of advice here. If you can't really pay for a domain name at the moment, just do what I did when I started out in the web world: join a GPT site. Now I'm not going to advertise or anything like that but I bought my first domain name using GPT earnings (3, actually...).

Just have the payments sent to your PayPal account (if you use one).

For example, I find PrizeLive (http://prizelive.com) as the best site. Its the best one in my opinion. They're also partnered with GoDaddy. So yeah, earn a couple of dollars there and buy a domain name then. That way you don't hurt yourself financially using "your own" money.

Also, I'd choose Netfirms (http://netfirms.com) for domain names. And google around, they always seem to be having a $4.95 .com / .net / .etc domain name promo! Keep in mind it's $11 every year after that (which is the standard price). Use my advice with the others in this thread!

I wish I could offer more, but I'm on my iPod so I can't really type a lot (so professional)!

Disclaimer: I am a member of PrizeLive. I didn't mean to advertise too much and if it's against the rules here mods can remove it. HOWEVER I'm not posting referral links or anything, so I think I'm safe.

EDIT: Whoa. That was a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by GG-JDavid View Post
    Also, I'd choose Netfirms (http://netfirms.com) for domain names. And google around, they always seem to be having a $4.95 .com / .net / .etc domain name promo! Keep in mind it's $11 every year after that (which is the standard price). Use my advice with the others in this thread!
    They will probably go up to $12 this month (price increase is coming on domain names). That's about a dollar or two above places like NameCheap.com and GoDaddy, so you can calculate your payback time. That renewal price isn't that bad.

I just hate gimmicks, especially when we're talking about .03 a day to buy your own domain name from one of the leading registrars, and not have to worry about what to do when the small registrar goes belly up. I can't think of a WORSE business decision than to incur the risk to save $6 the first year.